OSH: Part of our 48-State, 8,000+ Mile Journey This Year in our Cub

danamerfly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Meredith Holladay
Hello everyone! My name is Meredith Tcherniavsky and this is my first post on POA. Nice to "meet" all of you here. I thought I'd take this opportunity to let you know about a really special adventure my husband and fellow CFI, Dana Holladay, and I are planning for this summer.

In December we bought a 1938 J-3 Cub with the intention of landing it in all 48 contiguous states this year. It's something we've each always wanted to do, and we couldn't think of a better way to see the country than from 500' AGL, "low and slow" in a J-3! We landed in 6 states on the ferry flight home from Florida to Maryland, and will likely repeat one or two of those southeastern states this summer during our 8,000+ mile journey around the US in the Cub.

The trip is the capstone to a project we've been working on for over a year, a book about how aviation has influenced our lives. "Fly The Airplane" will be published sometime later this year. Meanwhile, you can learn more about us, the book and our project at our website, www.holladayaviation.com.

AirVenture will be one of the major highlights of our trip, though it looks like getting in on the mass Cub arrival may be challenging. We'll see what happens as the date gets closer. Most likely we'll arrive at OSH early on Saturday and set up camp in the Vintage area. Then, we can watch 75 of our fellow Cubs arrive on Monday evening.

From what I've read so far POA seems like a fun, active forum and we look forward to sharing with and learning from you all in the months ahead! Take care and fly safely,

Meredith & Dana

Sounds like a great Adventure Merideth! If you need to land in PA consider the Wings FlyBQ The weekend of May 19th http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48231

We also have great flyins in Arkansas ( Gastons) and in the UP of Michigan Labor Day weekend at 6Y9 ( Talk about a strip meant for Cubs!)

Welcome to POA, look forward to your participation.

Thanks Adam! I'm not sure the timing will work out for us to make the events at Gaston's or 6Y9 but we'll keep it in mind. If you or anyone else knows of a cool place along our route for us to check out, please let me know!

Meredith, welcome to POA!

Your idea of landing in each state sounds like a great one, I look forward to stories and pictures of your adventures!

Glad you're here!

Would it be in poor taste to say I hate you??? :lol: Seriously, sounds like a great adventure and in some ways similar to our planned national tour of air museums. If you pass through the dry side of Oregon, and you should, keep KBDN in mind and we can find a bean or two to share. :)

Meredith,

Not sure what part of California you are landing in, but I am near San Francisco. If you plan to come this way let me know.

Welcome to POA.

Kimberly

Woo hoo. Welcome to POA Mer and Dana! I am extremely jealous of your trip but looking forward to your Cub BBQ in June. Hopefully well see u before then though.

You forgot to mention mobile flight sim.

This is their epic trip:

RDpD8.jpg

If they change some of those airports they could spell out something with their flight.....

Woo hoo. Welcome to POA Mer and Dana! I am extremely jealous of your trip but looking forward to your Cub BBQ in June. Hopefully well see u before then though.

You forgot to mention mobile flight sim.

This is their epic trip:

RDpD8.jpg
Looks like the last pumpkin I carved.

Welcome Meredith and Dana to PoA. If you need a wingman while in the NE area, let me know. Sounds like fun.

Back