OSH Debrief

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
'Official' OSH Debrief Thread

Well... Since I started an 'official' go/no thread about OSH, I figured I might as well do a follow-up debrief where people can share their ooohs and aaahs about the whole OSH experience.

So here it is, folks.. Feel free to post stories, pictures, and.... uhhh.. I guess that's about it...

-Chris

Last edited:
I'll be first. :D

Thursday morning Dad and I left Boone, Iowa (BNW) around 10ish due to heavy fog in both Muscatine and Boone. We dialed a "OSH via RIPON -> FISK" flight plan in the 430 and off we go (it's nice that they actually have intersections at those places, now). Had to get up around 7500' to get to some cooler air, but the RV didn't mind. Fisk arrival was uneventful, controller even asked where we were parking so he could put us on a closer runway. We never saw another plane until turning final for 36R and the Cirrus demo plane was landing down the runway from us. 1.5 hr after departing Boone, Iowa we were on the ground at Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

As for the show, we've been there 6 times in the past 7 years, so we've pretty much covered the majority of the walk-through stuff. Since it was a last minute trip, we didn't really investigate the forum schedules - maybe next year. We meandered through the masses, stopping to check out 'new' RV's that we didn't recognize. We were heading toward Greg and his 195, but got distracted by the "Deluxe Burger Basket" sign and had to stop. After a decent burger (I miss the HUGE burgers they had a few years ago) and some soft-serve ice cream, we make our way toward the flight line for the F-22 Demonstration that I had programmed a reminder for in my phone. :) What an UNBELIEVEABLE plane! I just can't explain how awesome it was to watch that plane fly! Granted, it's not really flying, it's just diverting LARGE amounts of excess thrust, but still.... We even saw the condenstaion cloud form around the plane on a REALLY high-speed low pass at .9+ Mach. AWESOME! I told my dad "We don't really have to bomb people anymore. Just do an after-burner demonstration with these guys and scare the s*** out of them!" After the F-22's, the Thursday airshow was pretty uneventful. After the crowd cleared out, we moved our chairs down to midfield 18/36 to watch the mass departure/arrivals on Rwy 18. That is always cool.

Friday was HOT HOT HOT! I am still lobster red from being stubborn and not wearing sunscreen. I guess I haven't been out in the sun as much as I thought this year, and haven't developed my deep 'pre-tan' yet. *sigh* More mindless meandering through the masses. Made it down to the ultralight area since my father in law is contemplating doing a UL for fun. I like the looks of the Dakota Hawk. Another dry burger followed by more meandering. Did anyone else see the skywriting? That was a first for me. Found some shade next to an RV-10. That's a pretty nice plane. Dad REALLY wants to jump on building one, but we need to find some trick to offset the cost. That's the story of aviation, huh? After a very nice warbird airshow complete with 2 B-17's, a B-24, and Lancaster bomber formation, it was time to load 'em up and head 'em out.

Departure was just as uneventful as arrival. Departed 18R, stay below 1300', then after we get out of 'D' airspace, we pull the nose up to get high as quickly as possible. Climb up to 6500' for some cooler air and off we go. We had a bit of a headwind on the way back, so it took about 2 hrs enroute this time.

Other than my wisdom tooth deciding to give me trouble and getting sun burned beyond belief while there, it was an awesome trip! I didn't get to meet up with anyone while there. I *did* make a point to go over and check out Steve's plane at least. Now I want a ride in it. :)

Anywho.. It was once again a great get-away trip to Oshkosh. Hope everyone else enjoyed it half as much as we did.

-Chris

Attachments

• Oshkosh 2006 006.jpg
    Oshkosh 2006 006.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • Oshkosh 2006 038.jpg
    Oshkosh 2006 038.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
I'll just give a brief (ha) overview of our trip up, the week at, and the trip back down from, OSH.

We departed for OSH on Friday, 7/21 to avoid the arrival procedure and help setup for aircraft registration in the WB area. Since moving in day (school) for our daughter was July 30 my wife prepositioned the F-150 at Golden Triangle (GTR) while I took off from Copiah County (M11) (130nm SW). It was just coincidental that I was climbing out of the plane just as they were pulling into the FBO parking lot, a 3 hr drive for them, a 50 minute flight for me.

A few minutes later we launched VFR for Dexter, MO (DXE) for the "cheap" self-serve fuel (@3.45/gal) and the home cooked breakfast at the Airways Restaurant. A check of the DTN showed a large yellow splotch crossing the river at STL so we decided to try direct Bloomington (BMI) instead of Rockford (RFD) using the handheld Garmin 96. That worked fine for about 30 minutes when the buildups forced us to deviate east and up. We started at 5500' and ended up at 9500' to stay in the clear between the "towering cu's" before we were able to turn back to the north towards Burlington, WI (BUU) where pilots we met at Dexter had suggested we'd find "cheap" fuel once again.

On the descent for BUU we encountered some light to moderate "chop" around 7000' on down to 5500' with some intermittent light showers but about 30 out from BUU we were under a high overcast and in clear air which extended to OSH after our quick turn at the self-serve pumps.

The tower at OSH on our arrival from the south wasn't exactly the "A" team, but we were cleared for a straight in to 36 over Fond du Lac and had no traffic ahead of us at 3:30 in the afternoon.

After parking the plane we hauled our supplies to the WB campground and met the dealer who delivered our rental camper (pop-up) as it was being set up. Talk about timing. After several years of getting flooded in tents, this was the first time we were able to ride out the numerous showers/downpours without having to make extra trips to the laundry.

It was a family affair for us in the WB area as I was helping with P-51/fighter movements, Mary was working pilot registration, and Kathleen helped in volunteer registration. Kathleen even got some training on signalling aircraft movement in the liaison area.

Saw several PoA'ers during the week. Tony C, Jesse A, Chip G, Greg B all stopped by and said hi. Sorry we couldn't spend more time together, so much to see, so little time to see it.

I did manage to pick up an Air Chart annual subscription (VFR and IFR) to see how that works out. (Nicely on the return trip, btw.) And talked to the Hartzell tech guy about which AD's really apply to my prop (I'm getting conflicting stories and they promise to send me the definitive info next week). Chip and I also bought updates for our Jepp Flitestar apps. Jepp and Garmin are pushing the limits of the anti-trust laws imho.

We finished off the week with the WB banquet Saturday night and then Sunday morning I dropped Mary and Kathleen off at Appleton (ATW) using a borrowed vehicle to catch a 7am flight back to GTR to meed the deadline for dorm check in for Kathleen. I almost had the plane packed before a squall line came across the field back at OSH. I got the canopy cover on and sprinted to the nearest shelter just as the wind blew over 5 port-a-johns. After a 2 hour delay I was able to depart VFR and stay under the cloud deck until south of Rockford (RFD).

I made a fuel stop at Mount Vernon, IL (MVN) and took on 54 gallons of the "hi-test" @4.66/gal. Nice FBO, but pricey. At MVN I pulled out the Aerox bottle and on departure climbed to 14,500' for a direct VFR flight home. I'm sure the Fdx pilots out of MEM didn't particularly care for the climb restriction, but ATC didn't bat an eye on Flight Following as I droned over the east side of the Class B. (Unlike Chicago, where I was asked to fly direct to RFD before turning east to BUU "to avoid overflying Chicago airspace" on the way up, despite having a direct course line that never came close to the depicted ORD Class B ). MEM even gave me the magic words even though I didn't techically enter their "protected" airspace.

Descent into M11 started 60 miles out thru some scattered cumulus and the heat and haze layer that topped out at 6,000'. Touchdown was 4:20 local...6.1 hrs total enroute each way it turns out.

Sadly, while checking in with my OSH contact to let them know I had arrived safely, I learned that a TBM Avenger had a ground collision with an RV-? after I had departed. The RV passenger was killed and the RV pilot was seriously injured. A previous RV accident the Saturday before Airventure resulted in two fatalities. So although it was great to see friends again after a year's absence, the overall enjoyment of OSH for me this year was somewhat diminished. :(

Last edited:
Steve said:
I did manage to pick up an Air Chart annual subscription (VFR and IFR) to see how that works out. (Nicely on the return trip, btw.)

I really like my IFR and VFR Aircharts. The books work really well in the cockpit (much better than trying to properly fold and handle unwieldy charts), and it's great to know you have the charts needed if you have to take a big diversion.

So although it was great to see friends again after a year's absence, the overall enjoyment of OSH for me this year was somewhat diminished. :(

Because of the accidents, or just general waning of interest?

This was my first trip to Oshkosh and I was amazed at how well it was organized. How clean the grounds are kept and how you get that many planes in and out with very little problem. We arrived at 6:30 AM on friday and set up camp down the road from the airport. So only having three days to try and get it all in was a challenge. On Saturday afternoon we got the call that friend and fellow pilot Scott Cowan and 5 others were killed in a plane crash at home. That put a big damper on the rest of the trip. Sunday morning we woke up to some nasty storms and strong winds. It was blowing so hard I thought the camper was going to blow over. Sunday we went through the Museum and headed home around noon. About 75 miles into IL we had a blowout on the camper, put the spare on and 1/4 mile down the road it blew out. And if you have driven through northern IL, you know there's nothing up there but corn fields.
So we got off the interstate and stopped at the first farm house we found. We had a spare tire, but needed to put it on the rim. The farmer had a nice shop and let us use his tools and air compressor to change it. Try and get that kind of help in the city:yes: So we arrived back at home around midnight. Sorry I missed the POAers that were there, but it was a short weekend.

A friend of mine and I were planning on going Friday, but I was willing to cancel it if it looked like the soaring was going to be good. It looked like it wasnt so late Thursday night I dedicated to making the trip. I had a 150 reserved at the club, and we made a decision to aim for Fon Du Lac (sp?) then meet friends from Madison who would drive us in. We got a later start than I planned on, 830 out of Green Castle and headed northeast. Climb rate was abysmal with full fuel and two people, something along the lines of 200 fpm. Chicago wasnt taking VFR handoffs (thanks guys) but I managed to remember to call up the tower at Dubuque as we were flying right over their airspace. As we approached Madison, i tuned in approach but couldnt get a word in edgewise, so just monitored. We called friend in Madison and he was also running late, so we diverted to the private strip (Sevrud?) that he is based at and he picked us up there. Stopped for lunch and arrived at OSH about noon.
Met up with Jesse, he was wishing he had a handheld to navigate the crowds. Kid cant go anywhere w/o GPS :) I bought that headset adapter for my handheld at a 20 dollar discount and also got my CFI TSA refresher CD from NAFI. Had a long talk with the poly fiber people about covering the glider. Also watched some of the airshow and saw the B1 depart, that was awesome.
Jesse and I mustve walked 10 miles. First up to warbirds to see Steve See. I was hoping he would have his fan hat on, but no joy. It was good to see him. Then we trekked down to the classics to try and catch Greg. We talked with a 195 guy (Barron I think) who told us where Greg had been parked before he left Thursday. Oh well. Then back North with several stops at the booths and eventually back to the North 40 to hang out with Diana. As you know, she fed me well and kept our glasses full of Ice Water. She is the Oshkosh hostess with the mostest! Terry Klaussen stopped by and we bored Diana and Jesse with glider talk until I had to leave to catch my ride back.
We ended up staying in Madison for the night and flying back the next morning. I will add some pictures when I get home.

The IAR is a bit faster than the rentals I've been flying so it was nice not be be re-folding sectionals and wac charts continously on the way home. And as you say it was comforting to know I was covered for any major wx diverts. The paper and print quality of the AirCharts have really improved since I last considered them 15 years ago. I have a set of low altitude enroutes which cover the mid-US if anyone wants them. They're good to August 3! :)

It was the accidents that bummed me. I taking the cover off my plane for display when the crash on Saturday occurred. I was looking at the plane in the pattern and had turned away for a moment when it went in just off the east end of 9-27 on the airport property. The field was closed for several hours which also meant nothing moved on the ground so we had to just cool our heels waiting on the flight line. As I understand it the occupants had flown in from WA state. Very sad.:(

I didn't hear about the 2nd one on the day I departed until I got home, but I had been at a banquet with the TBM pilot the night before. I know he is devastated by what happened and I can only hope that effective changes are made to provide better separation on the taxiways at all times (this happened on the parallel to 18-36, not in the parking area I'm told). Otherwise, the entire acitivity is in jeopardy. I'm sure the litigation has already started.

Speaking of TBM's, it took us a while to not get excited every time a TBM announced inbound to OSH. The new TBM 850 was busy with demos all week in addition to the daily fly-bys it made. We did have 3 Avengers attend, though.

OSH has become the family vacation and we're already talking about plans for next year. Cheryl might be married by then, too! I should get that 9 pax Sherpa...:rolleyes:

Bill Jennings said:
I really like my IFR and VFR Aircharts. The books work really well in the cockpit (much better than trying to properly fold and handle unwieldy charts), and it's great to know you have the charts needed if you have to take a big diversion.

Because of the accidents, or just general waning of interest?

Last edited:
tonycondon said:
Kid cant go anywhere w/o GPS :)
Uhh. Well. I realized later that night how I became so disoriented. OSH needs to make their damn map 'North Up'.

tonycondon said:
Jesse and I mustve walked 10 miles. First up to warbirds to see Steve See. I was hoping he would have his fan hat on, but no joy. It was good to see him.
I'm not sure I've ever walked that much before. I'm still hurting

Someday I hope I can actually go to OSH and be able to enjoy it. Pretty much everytime that I have went there so far I've had other things going on that prevent me from such. Maybe next year.

jangell said:
Uhh. Well. I realized later that night how I became so disoriented. OSH needs to make their damn map 'North Up'.
That can still get me at first. You have to remember that the longest dimension is the 5 miles around North-South runway 18-36, which is why they print it on the fold out map that way.

jangell said:
I'm not sure I've ever walked that much before. I'm still hurting

Someday I hope I can actually go to OSH and be able to enjoy it. Pretty much everytime that I have went there so far I've had other things going on that prevent me from such. Maybe next year.
:D heh. Now, I don't feel so bad. I was beginning to believe it was strictly my advanced age that made me incapable of handling Oshkosh like I used to.

Come to think of it, in the 20 years or so I've been coming, I've always limped back to the car sore, sweaty and gritty only to come back for more the next morning.

Ok here are my pics. Jesse/P51, Diana/Terry/Jesse, My sweet ride to and fro.

Attachments

• DSC00609.JPG
    DSC00609.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 53
  • DSC00634.JPG
    DSC00634.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 60
  • DSC00607.JPG
    DSC00607.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 39
I camped in row 529 behind Ed Gs Mooney wing,My weekend consisted of being Hot Sweaty,and i did something i haven't done in a long time(drunk more alchohol then i did in the last 5 years),Sat. i went to the Watermelon Social (drank Slivlivits)Slovanian moonshine. I also found a great deal on a WX 10A stormscope for my plane.other then that i had a great time met lots of people (some i knew some i didnt).I'm already making plans for next year. Dave G.

Okay, posting this in the right place now...

Arrived Sunday about 6:30 or 7 PM (probably taxied 6:30 until 7! :rolleyes:). Threw a tarp over the wing and pitched the tent underneath. That is THE way to do OSH. I've been wanting to do that since I was a kid, so I was very happy. :yes: :) I was on the end of row 543, strategically placed near the showers. Also close to my new friends at Women Fly in 531 and the Zuluworks crew in 533. I had a great time.

Traded the plane for the car Thursday... I should have reserved earlier so I could have the whole week. Maybe next year. It was interesting... I had to go OSH to MSN via Y50, as there was a BIG t-storm over MSN but I had to get out of OSH before the airshow started. That is the way to get out, too - Zero waiting. I started up at 2:20, taxied around the approach end of 9, and was waved onto the runway and cleared for takeoff with zero waiting. At least two more followed me out before the field closed.

I saw Steve (twice), Mary once, Kathleen once, Greg Bockelman, Ed G and Dave (saw N201RR landing on Rwy 9 as well!), Ken Ibold, and Chip, who happened to appear just as I finished interviewing Walter Extra. How cool is that?

We recorded episode #41 of the Pilotcast live in the GAMA Pavilion on Friday night. I interviewed Alan Klapmeier (Cirrus CEO), Christian Dries (Diamond CEO), Walter Extra, Garmin's southeast regional sales guy, and lots more. We'll be pumping out lots of content, so Stay tuned... And I was pleasantly surprised at what a cool guy Klapmeier is. Very down to earth and great sense of humor.

Best customer service experience: Lightspeed. Had a problem with one of the springs in my battery box, induced at least partially by my abusing the headset in the truck. They handed me an entire new battery box (including cords). And a new music interface cable. And two spare mic muffs. Free. You guys rock.

Monday, went to the Rubber Chicken party. Everybody who's anybody was there. Patty Wagstaff was serving the margaritas. Met some very cool folks there.

Friday, went to the screening of One Six Right on the brand-new, never-seen-before Sony 4K projector. WOW. They are going to be touring quite a few cities in the next few months with this thing. It is a MUST SEE. Check http://www.onesixright.com/ for details.

Saturday, went to see Lyle Lovett with the Zuluworks folks. Hadn't ever really been exposed to his music before. It was really good - An amazing blend of gospel, country, and jazz. Very cool.

Sunday, finally got burned out. All the walking (only two blisters!), heat, and lack of sleep (nothing like being woken by a Ford Trimotor at 6 AM every day!) finally caught up with me. The biggest thing was that I'd been rudely awakened by the approaching storm in the morning. I went from sleeping to having my entire campsite packed in six minutes flat. Once the adrenaline wore off from that, I really crashed. I didn't feel better until I saw them back up the C-17 with reverse thrust. WOW!

Now, I can't wait to get to 6Y9 on Saturday and camp under the wing of N271G again. I think more fly-in camping is going to be in my future. :yes:

tonycondon said:
Ok here are my pics. Jesse/P51, Diana/Terry/Jesse, My sweet ride to and fro.

So in the second picture, are Diana and Terry talking to each other on their phones or what?

lancefisher said:
So in the second picture, are Diana and Terry talking to each other on their phones or what?
LOL! That's what it looks like. :D

I think I was trying to connect with the Yak pilot who was having stuff delivered (by people who were lost) to my plane to take home, and I think Terry was trying to find a way home. I offered to fly him to Arkansas, but then he would have had to fly to North Carolina and Ohio to get to Arizona. He ended up taking a bus to Milwaukee. :)

lancefisher said:

No, they were just pretending to be talking on the phones in the hope that Jesse would just go away. :D :rofl:

Anthony said:
No, they were just pretending to be talking on the phones in the hope that Jesse would just go away. :D :rofl:
That seems to be the trend lately...

haha actually Terry was talking on my phone to Ed Guthrie on Dave (Shipokes) phone. It was quite a conglomeration.

Here is a late report. I wrote this for our EAA 1252 chapter newsletter. finally found a pdf utility that compresses files with lots of pictures sown to a managable size.

In the summer, we meet on Fridays at the Airport 18:30 for informal burgers and dogs, also open to all who fly in. So yesterday I was corrected on the local brew in Oshkosh, its Linenkugel Red, very nice.

Gary Gembala

Attachments

• Oshkosh by Air 2006.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 15
Notme said:
So, we picked the wrong time to arrive on Sunday (July 23) morning… We were about 20 miles from Ripon when the Fisk controllers told us “the Oshkosh airport is closed.

...Due to the RV crash. :(

2.5 hours?!? That's a long time to hold! I probably would have given up and gone elsewhere after 20 minutes. Flying's fun, but making circles over the same area for that long, with that much traffic around, would be a major drag.

Congrats on the 496, that's a nice unit. It originally sounded like it wasn't worth the extra 600 bucks over the 396 until I played with it. Car kit is included so that makes up for half the difference, and having the AOPA info there is a lot more useful than I originally thought. Taxi diagrams are nice too.

Back