OSH Car Parking...

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
So, for various reasons, I am thinking about flying commercial into ORD, driving up to OSH and camping with some folks at their plane for the show.

Now, the EAA website says there is "no overnight parking" in EAA lots. I called a nearby hotel to see if I could "rent" a parking space for a few days, and they basically said, "We have a big lot, we don't tow anyone, or even check, just park"

Is that possibly realistic? Usually with big events local businesses are very restrictive and closely monitor who parks in their lots. Maybe that's not the case for OSH? I would imagine that the other 51 weeks of the year, 70% of the lot is empty anyway....

We have had people drive in and park their cars in the red lot next to the north 40 in the past without a issue. Not sure if this rule about no overnight is new or it's just never been enforced.

That's the plan... Just wondering if anyone had experienced otherwise. I would think their lot would fill up with people trying to avoid paying for parking (I assume EAA charges for parking?)

They charge for parking. There is a neat little lot at the corner of Waupan and Knapp called Relemdadts or something along those line that I'm sure would be glad to sell you a weekly spot with in and out privs even. We've had people come up from Chicago to camp with us for a few days who parked there.

So, for various reasons, I am thinking about flying commercial into ORD, driving up to OSH and camping with some folks at their plane for the show.

Now, the EAA website says there is "no overnight parking" in EAA lots. I called a nearby hotel to see if I could "rent" a parking space for a few days, and they basically said, "We have a big lot, we don't tow anyone, or even check, just park"

Is that possibly realistic? Usually with big events local businesses are very restrictive and closely monitor who parks in their lots. Maybe that's not the case for OSH? I would imagine that the other 51 weeks of the year, 70% of the lot is empty anyway....
Your friends can get a car permit for you to park on the grounds. Don't know what the rules are, tho.

I doubt the EAA wants cars parked next to airplane camping though...?

I doubt the EAA wants cars parked next to airplane camping though...?

You can't (at least not after Saturday before the show starts) get a car anywhere near a the aircraft camping without a pass.

There is a shopping center across the street from Friar Tucks,, and an exit gate there too... Just shop at a store there once a day to buy milk , donuts etc.... And you are considered a customer and they legally can't tow ya...

There is a shopping center across the street from Friar Tucks,, and an exit gate there too... Just shop at a store there once a day to buy milk , donuts etc.... And you are considered a customer and they legally can't tow ya...

Ha! Good luck with that interpretation.

Back