OSH - AIRCRAFT DOWN SOUTH OF ULTRALIGHT AREA

I agree every circumstance is different. From what I can tell that was a 100k gyro so I'd have to imagine there is enough money there to cover the gap in insurance coverage. I am not against him going after that money. It's the people that tack on "emotional damages" in an attempt to capitalize on an accident that bug me.
I'm not following you here. What value is there in a wrecked gyro? Who said anything about "tacking things on?"

The only mistake the Mooney guy made was to underinsure his plane, but he was free to do that.

I'm not following you here. What value is there in a wrecked gyro? Who said anything about "tacking things on?"

The only mistake the Mooney guy made was to underinsure his plane, but he was free to do that.
idk I'm not an insurance agent. Point is if you can afford a 100k toy you probably aren't living paycheck to paycheck so there should be money somewhere to supplement the Mooney's insurance gap.

I did, it's a general statement of how these lawsuits usually go.

I have both a Piper Warrior and a Magni M-16 gyro. Both are insured for $80K, $1M, $100K/pax. The Warrior was $758 this year for all of that (I can’t see a breakdown of hull vs liability). The gyro was $5,441, of which $3,928 is hull and $1,513 is liability. Just the liability for the gyro is twice the total cost for the Warrior.

Oh - and my deductibles for the gyro are $2,500/$1,000 in/not in motion. Zero for both for the Warrior.

I have about 2,500 hours TT including 300 in Magni gyros and a Commercial Gyro rating. I’m 66.

Gyro insurance isn’t cheap, even for liability. Personal opinion: although a lot of the hull cost is high because it’s hard to “partially break” a gyro, the liability is up there because of the Pilot community’s culture. Hard to believe a 2-place gyro with a 17 gal gas tank can cause more liability claims than a Warrior but the market says that’s true.
My gyro insurance was just under $8K for $85K hull (underinsured) and 1M liability. I forget the specifics and am too lazy to look them up. My Columbia is about 1/3 of that for much higher hull and the same liability.

There were 2 underwriters willing to insure the gyro for liability, but only one would cover hull (Star).

Back