Osh 2024 NOTAM is out

So I think the new Fisk Holding Procedure is fairly easy, but figured discussing it here can't hurt! It looks like you can get all the way to FISK and be told to hold, turning West, but instead of starting all over, they will send you back to Puckaway or Green, entering from the West. Anything I'm missing?

53741806401_251593fee4_w.jpg

53742219225_59b34f5346_c.jpg

So I think the new Fisk Holding Procedure is fairly easy, but figured discussing it here can't hurt! It looks like you can get all the way to FISK and be told to hold, turning West, but instead of starting all over, they will send you back to Puckaway or Green, entering from the West. Anything I'm missing?

53741806401_251593fee4_w.jpg

53742219225_59b34f5346_c.jpg

Interesting. So instead of saying "Do loops around Lake _____ to hold", they say "Go back to point XYZ and come back in and try again", which essentially makes the whole approach route a combination arrival/hold route.

Interesting. So instead of saying "Do loops around Lake _____ to hold", they say "Go back to point XYZ and come back in and try again", which essentially makes the whole approach route a combination arrival/hold route.
There are still loops around the lakes, but I think once you get all the way to FISK, they could send you on the new FISK hold instead... I think!!
53741873211_b439f9496a_c.jpg

I suspect this is to solve the problem of sending people who did nothing wrong all the way back to Endeavor when they have to turn them out at Fisk.

Could this result in congestion at Green or Puckaway lakes? I envision airplanes trying to find a slot to get into the conga line when there is not enough spacing. Tempers may flair.

My advice is if they are holding, go land somewhere and wait it out. An Osh arrival hold is a total Charlie Foxtrot.

BTW: not in the NOTAM but the Mass Arrivals have a different schedule this year which will make things better, especially on Saturday: instead of four arrivals Saturday, there’s one each on Fri and Sat morning and one each on Fri and Sat afternoon (plus one Sunday).

BTW: not in the NOTAM but the Mass Arrivals have a different schedule this year which will make things better, especially on Saturday: instead of four arrivals Saturday, there’s one each on Fri and Sat morning and one each on Fri and Sat afternoon (plus one Sunday).
Friday, July 19
Saturday, July 20
Sunday, July 21

Could this result in congestion at Green or Puckaway lakes? I envision airplanes trying to find a slot to get into the conga line when there is not enough spacing. Tempers may flair.
Tempers always flare, and it gives me something to laugh about, so I hope that doesn't change. "The Bonanza just cut me off for the second time... wah wah wah, poor me." Not sure what results they expect by crying about it on the radio!

My advice is if they are holding, go land somewhere and wait it out. An Osh arrival hold is a total Charlie Foxtrot.
Agreed. In fact, I think last year they took a lot of people who bailed to FLD and let them do a minimass arrival (straight in in-trail from FLD to Runway 36) prior to turning on the Ripon arrivals again.

I usually arrive before the NOTAM goes into effect (and leave after), but I do hop rides for various people. I only got caught out once and bailed to Brennand field and had someone come pick us up and retrieved the plane the next day (the sound of the FISK approach was that I wasn't going to get in before the airshow).

Mostly, I give rides to volunteers, but one year we grabbed my Navion and another and went out with two of the RCAF Snowbirds pilots. They said the Ripon arrival was on their bucket list. So after a little bit of formation work, I let them do one landing at an out field, and they then were set on the approach. My guy ("Sticky" Wicket) did a decent job but the other ("Naughty" McNaughton) dropped Trevor's Navion pretty hard. I asked what else was on their bucket list and they said they wanted to ride around in one of the volkswagen bugs. That I was also able to arrange (borrowing the keys from our chairman).

When I give rides, if I have a pilot who has never done it before, I bring them in the Ripon arrival. If not, I fly the warbird arrival.

Last edited:
I come in IFR so I avoid all of the VFR shenanigans from the get go.

Back