OSH 2018, What do you think?

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
I'm a regular visitor to Sun and Fun while attending someone told me to go check out OSH. I LOVE it here (IMO) People are much nicer here than SnF and they are willing to talk about airplanes for days. I met a lot of wonderful people here, weather is great. I will be back for sure!

What were your experiences like?

Best presentation at the show this year imho was Kirk Lippold, Captain of the USS Cole who talked about when they were attacked by Al Quaeda before 9/11. Fascinating detail of the attack, and how the crisis was handled. He is also a pilot.

how did u end up getting there, weren't trying to hitchhike?

I drove solo. Thought it’d be more fun with a partner in crime, but no takers.

I think Purdue is taking a big contingent next year, so I may tag along or have more takers.

From what I'm hearing, Bryan is putting on a heck of a show.

Perhaps next year a name change is in order? Bry-venture?

Best presentation at the show this year imho was Kirk Lippold, Captain of the USS Cole who talked about when they were attacked by Al Quaeda before 9/11. Fascinating detail of the attack, and how the crisis was handled. He is also a pilot.
I think he was here last year, too. Really interesting and just happened to walk into it in the back of the FAA building.

You can get through SnF in a day. Oshkosh you can attend for 3 days and still be frustrated at the stuff you had to miss.

That is true but I knocked off all of the sights in two days. That means I saw all of the outdoor stuff in two days. I was on a mission 30k steps in day one, (14 miles)

Had a great time, thanks to @RudyP for the ride from San Diego! Amazing how friendly the people were and how much more this is than just an airshow. Was my first year but I'll be sure to make it a point to come back

I'm glad you guys had a good time. It was my first time too and it was the best event I have ever been to. By far!

Had a great time, thanks to @RudyP for the ride from San Diego! Amazing how friendly the people were and how much more this is than just an airshow. Was my first year but I'll be sure to make it a point to come back

You spoiled little Cirrus SR-22 hitchhiker. :p
Next year you should be required to fly an ultralight all the way to Oshkosh. Just to bring some balance into your young life. ;):D

btw, did you guys camp in the North 40 or stay at the red carpet Oshkosh Hyatt Regency (where they charge for the water and internet access)?
Just askin':)

Guys I'm here until Sunday, if you want me to take some photos of something in particular let me know and I will do it!

I've done both for years. I’m mostly interested in vendors and checking out other aircraft that I’m interested in. So no classes, speakers or aerial demonstrations for me. I can do SNF in a day and OSF in 2 (although this year I did it in one).

That said, the number of non-aviation vendors is getting real close to 50%. Some of the aisles in the main hangars looked like a flea market. Sunglasses, excersise equipment, wallets, flagpoles, etc.

The number of people in scooters is making it difficult to get around as well.

Looks like the last variant of the Wilga, the EADS PZL-104MA, with the Lycoming replaced by a Walter turbine.

It's heavily modified with all kinds of other stuff.

Trent Palmer has a new video up interviewing the guy.

I think I read somewhere that the PT6 allows him a sustained climb at 30 degrees nose up of 4000 feet/min.

Actually the "guy" is Mike Patey, is a self-made millionaire and has his own YouTube channel on how he went about modifying the Wilga.

DRACO!!!!!!! PT6. I wish I had lots of money

I don't because then you'd buy a faster plane and I'd be the only one in our Arizona group with a slowarse Cherokee. ;)

I don't because then you'd buy a faster plane and I'd be the only one in our Arizona group with a slowarse Cherokee. ;)

No I’d buy a Carbon Cub or Kitfox or some bush plane! So we’d still be about even

btw, did you guys camp in the North 40 or stay at the red carpet Oshkosh Hyatt Regency (where they charge for the water and internet access)?
Just askin'
There's a Four Seasons that just opened... jk. I crashed most nights with an old friend who happens to live in Appleton. I had surprisingly good luck with Uber...

I think the warbirds area was my overall favorite part of the park
upload_2018-7-27_11-17-31.png

That said, the number of non-aviation vendors is getting real close to 50%. Some of the aisles in the main hangars looked like a flea market. Sunglasses, excersise equipment, wallets, flagpoles, etc.
Two things surprised me
A.) that there was as many aviation related vendors as there were. We always here about how GA is shrinking, so it was refreshing to see that there is still a decently healthy market out there for people in the aviation business to make a buck or two
B.) that there was so many non aviation related vendors... I wonder if EAA has any rule that X% must be aviation related.. or if this will slowly evolve into more and more of a flea market. Ford had a massive tent there with burnouts. Will be curious to see where we in 10 years

You spoiled little Cirrus SR-22 hitchhiker.
I'm not going to lie. It was pretty cool. We got some incredible views. If I dig up any more share worthy photos of the event itself I'll post them in the other thread
upload_2018-7-27_11-25-58.png

I drove solo. Thought it’d be more fun with a partner in crime, but no takers.

I think Purdue is taking a big contingent next year, so I may tag along or have more takers.

I thought you had the 182 in your avatar, why not fly? Much better!

I thought you had the 182 in your avatar, why not fly? Much better!

Didn’t want to deal with the NOTAM and traffic going solo. I’ve got a whopping 100+ hours of flight experience too.

The pic in my avatar is a likeness of mine, not my actual plane. One day I’ll do an air-to-air photo session.

Actually the "guy" is Mike Patey, is a self-made millionaire and has his own YouTube channel on how he went about modifying the Wilga.

I hit got meet his brother. He knew who I was which I thought was kind of cool. He is about the nicest guy in the world. Very high energy, very passionate about aviation and just really down to earth.

FB_IMG_1532736572141.jpg

Looks like the last variant of the Wilga, the EADS PZL-104MA, with the Lycoming replaced by a Walter turbine.
Looks like it can be airborne right off the chocks.

You spoiled little Cirrus SR-22 hitchhiker. :p
Next year you should be required to fly an ultralight all the way to Oshkosh. Just to bring some balance into your young life. ;):D
In fairness, the return trip was a very LOOONNNG day. It didn't help that we lost a magneto on the first leg and had to backtrack a couple hundred miles to get it swapped out before continuing on. I was glad to share PIC duties with @Tantalum or it would have really been painful.
This is what we ended up having to fly..
IMG_0543.jpg

Just askin':)

It's actually a Hilton Garden Inn and it was lovely! Internet access is complimentary but kind of slow...

Last edited:
In fairness, the return trip was a very LOOONNNG day. It didn't help that we lost a magneto on the first leg and had to backtrack a couple hundred miles to get it swapped out before continuing on....

Would like to know what influenced the decision on where to go for the mag issue....

Would like to know what influenced the decision on where to go for the mag issue....

My favorite mechanic is in Cumberland WI which was less than an hour's flight from where we were at the time. He doesn't do my annuals any more now that I am on the west coast but he's still my go to guy to diagnose any issues over text/phone as well as a good friend. And he's IMO the best, most detail oriented Cirrus A&P/IA in the country.

He squeezed us in despite having a very sick wife at home and got us in and out in a couple of hours with a new mag.

Back