OSH 2012 First Trip planning tips

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
So,.. I know it is months away, and I don't even know how I am getting there yet, but can you OSH regulars provide a few tips for planning the event?

I would like to camp, when/how do I register for a spot? When do I need to buy OSH tickets? Is there a POA area that you guys typically camp or get together in the evenings?

Answer may be simple as, check the airventure website in January or March,... or maybe a little more complex.

Unlikely that I"ll be flying in GA due to rental costs from PA, unless I find rides or fly commercial to get closer first. More likely that I'll be cross country riding my Motorcycle to get there and tent camp for Thurs-Sat.

Thanks

We'll probably set up an area in Camp Scholler again. You'll be able to buy tickets online closer to the event.

Rob,

There will be a thread here on the subject - usually it gets started in the spring when the advance ticket sales start. We all trade cell phone numbers and days of attendance and such.

For a first-time attender and camper, I have two key pieces of advice.

Bring waterproof gear, plenty of clothing (at least one "warm" outfit) and a good pair of footwear you'll be comfortable walking miles and miles in.
Bring money. The camping and admission are not terribly expensive, but some of the food can be expensive, and you just find yourself wanting to buy stuff. And there is usually a dining event every night where you'll want to bring a bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer or we'll be eating at a restaurant.

Camp Prellwitz is the place to be in Scholler. Grant has normally arrived early and staked out a big space for a compound. Lesson I'm going to remember for next year is to either send him money for the camp fees or buy mine online and transfer it to him, so that he doesn't have to buy more space than he needs himself.

I guarantee you'll have a good time.

So,.. I know it is months away, and I don't even know how I am getting there yet, but can you OSH regulars provide a few tips for planning the event?

I would like to camp, when/how do I register for a spot? When do I need to buy OSH tickets? Is there a POA area that you guys typically camp or get together in the evenings?

Answer may be simple as, check the airventure website in January or March,... or maybe a little more complex.

Unlikely that I"ll be flying in GA due to rental costs from PA, unless I find rides or fly commercial to get closer first. More likely that I'll be cross country riding my Motorcycle to get there and tent camp for Thurs-Sat.

Thanks
First thing I'd do is check around your area for someone else making the trek to see if you can ride along or share the cost of a rental. Flying in is a part of the experience you don't want to miss.

Camp Scholler works if you come in a vehicle restricted to ground ops. You might want to consider renting a motorhome somewhat local to OSH and driving that in unless you're really comfortable camping in a tent when it rains (it always rains at least once or twice during the event). Those can be shared by prior arrangement as well.

There is a discount for advance ticket purchases IIRC but there's also an EAA member discount and I don't think that you can apply both. For stays lasting more than two days of the show, you can also save by buying a multi-day pass but there's a downside in that you have to wear the darn thing on your wrist all week and that drives me nuts at night. One year I fastened mine on with scotch tape so I could take it off at night and put it back on the next day with new tape.

If you intend to camp at the show you should consider getting there before the day it opens or you might find the campground full.

If you can get an airplane ride, do it. I do love my interactions with the POA folks at Oshkosh, but I really like being in the middle of all the aircraft. Sorry, it's a fly-in. I get to relax and watch airplanes take off all day and all night. Nothing better. I got stuck by weather this year and didn't even mind. It is a bit distant from POA central, but well worth the walk.

And mosquito repellent!

:yeahthat:

Look what's still in my Yukon from OSH11...

aefdb1a6-eca6-7242.jpg

I gotta say, fly if you can! I flew in with my instructor, as a student, last year. Easy, low traffic day made it a relatively low pressure task. Now having done it, and knowing the area around OSH well enough to know where I was without the sectional (Though I had it right there, ready to go) I am ready to fly in again in 2012! We were there for the gust of 2011 (those of you there on super Saturday know what I am talking about), and my tent flew about 200 yards, but it was all a part of the fun.

I rent for now, so I will be looking for someone either wishing to split the cost, or with a plane that wants someone who knows the procedures with them and wants to split the flying duties.

1. Flying is sure is fun - but I was mighty awful glad I had Jesse in the right seat, and Tommy in the back, youthful eagle-eyes watching for goofballs trying to off us;

2. Getting together with a bunch of these people is a treat of epic proportion! Mexican food night at (insert name of improbable Mexican restaurant in Wisconsin, for Pete's sake!), with (Spike dredges brain), Grant, Leslie, Leslie's Mom (who looks younger than I), Metzingers x3, Lance Flynn and his compadre whose name I forget, Steve See and his irrepressible daughter Kathleen and southern beauty wife, Mary, Peter von Tresckow, Jesse, Tommy, stinky ol' me, Diana Richards... who'm I forgetting? Was Kent there? It was fun. Really fun. These are good people (they put up with me, hence, near saints).

3. I'll likely be arriving by Beech 18 this year, and Tommy and I plan to camp under the wing of that magnificent beast, in Vintage. Odds are, we'll be near the front row, if last year's placement is any indication. Hope I'll be adequately equipped for camping, but we'll get by whatever.

Man, wish it was now.

Rob, I am pretty sure I will be flying from Wings this year and going solo at the moment. Rental or otherwise - so let's keep in touch about it.

3. I'll likely be arriving by Beech 18 this year, and Tommy and I plan to camp under the wing of that magnificent beast, in Vintage. Odds are, we'll be near the front row, if last year's placement is any indication. Hope I'll be adequately equipped for camping, but we'll get by whatever.

Man, wish it was now.

Dear Spike,

You suck.

Love, Nate

1. Flying is sure is fun - but I was mighty awful glad I had Jesse in the right seat, and Tommy in the back, youthful eagle-eyes watching for goofballs trying to off us;

2. Getting together with a bunch of these people is a treat of epic proportion! Mexican food night at (insert name of improbable Mexican restaurant in Wisconsin, for Pete's sake!), with (Spike dredges brain), Grant, Leslie, Leslie's Mom (who looks younger than I), Metzingers x3, Lance Flynn and his compadre whose name I forget, Steve See and his irrepressible daughter Kathleen and southern beauty wife, Mary, Peter von Tresckow, Jesse, Tommy, stinky ol' me, Diana Richards... who'm I forgetting? Was Kent there? It was fun. Really fun. These are good people (they put up with me, hence, near saints).

Man, wish it was now.
Spike, her name is Mary, and she looks younger than any of us but Leslie. I should know, since I closed down a Key West bar with her! And our plans for a house and/or campsite have suddenly changed. We're now camping under the wing of a Beech 18. Heck, can you IMAGINE how comfortable Hayden is going to feel? :D:D:D

Sounds great guys! I can't wait,... lots to do and think about in the mean time and hopefully it will come fast!

Spike, her name is Mary, and she looks younger than any of us but Leslie. I should know, since I closed down a Key West bar with her! And our plans for a house and/or campsite have suddenly changed. We're now camping under the wing of a Beech 18. Heck, can you IMAGINE how comfortable Hayden is going to feel? :D:D:D

Big wings! :D

So *you* have Hayden?

The advance ticket sales didn't seem to be tremendously useful last year from my observations. When you pull into Scholler, they will gladly sell you your camping credentials and your Airventure registration (wristbands) all at the same time on your check or credit card.

Bring comfortable footwear, be prepared for weather from beastly hot down to downright chilly. Expect at least one gully washing thunderstorm.

The bug spray is a very good idea.

And for hundreds og more tips, read the section on the Airventure website and do a search here for the same, annual discussion.

I've always wondered why this isn't a sticky topic.

Camp Prellwitz is the place to be in Scholler. Grant has normally arrived early and staked out a big space for a compound. Lesson I'm going to remember for next year is to either send him money for the camp fees or buy mine online and transfer it to him, so that he doesn't have to buy more space than he needs himself.

I guarantee you'll have a good time.

Ok,... I have my camping registration setup and printed out. So, how can I arrange a spot at the POA Compund? I'm arriving Sunday evening if all goes well. If transferred to someone who arrives earlier to stake out space, how do I get in and get my camping refund after my days of camping?

24 Days!

Ok,... I have my camping registration setup and printed out. So, how can I arrange a spot at the POA Compund? I'm arriving Sunday evening if all goes well. If transferred to someone who arrives earlier to stake out space, how do I get in and get my camping refund after my days of camping?

24 Days!
Rob,
If you're arriving Sunday Evening, you should definitely find fellow PoAers who have already staked out a space. I expect that we can defend a space for you in lieu of your placard, but, if not, we'll make you pay somehow! :) I should be there by then, but let me know contact information in case we aren't. There are PoAers who are arriving well before us to stake out space who are sworn to secrecy, so we can't let their identities out!

Motorcycle flag made with route and mounted to the bike. One week till departure. :)

(yes, the logo was used with permission from EAA's [FONT=&quot]Dick Knapinski)
[/FONT]

Attachments

• OshFlag.jpg
    OshFlag.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 17
Have a good ride, and be careful. Assume you are invisible to all but a very few motorists, who will actively try to murder you.

Last edited:
Have a good ride, and be careful. Assume you are indivisible to all but a very few motorists, who will actively try to murder you.

I hope I am indivisible,.... I'd hate to be divided. :eek:

Thanks, looking forward to seeing the POA guys/gals again and making new friends.

Motorcycle flag made with route and mounted to the bike. One week till departure. :)

(yes, the logo was used with permission from EAA's [FONT=&quot]Dick Knapinski)
[/FONT]

THAT is AWESOME!

We leave 7.5 days from now. Augh, I can't WAIT that long!

I swear, you'd think after 30 years I would get over this feeling -- but each year it comes back, and compels me go again, damn the expense! :wink2:

Back