OSA SI: what to obtain from sleep doc

W

Widebody

I have an upcoming appointment with my sleep doc in advance of my medical renewal. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea recently outside of the FAA referral process.

What documentation do I need to get from the sleep doc to take to my AME aside from the printout/compliance report from my machine?

Here's the FAA take. There are some flowcharts and other documents you'll have to pull up.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ices/aam/ame/guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/osa/

It boils down to: You need a letter from your treating doc that says you are treated, compliant, and no excessive daytime sleepiness. You need corresponding reports from your machine that show that 75% (maybe 70%, I forget) of your nights are >6 hrs. Download Sleepyhead, it will import your CPAP data and let you print the reports yourself, it can be configured to count 6hr nights vs the standard 4hr nights that are more common for insurance purposes. Normally this report must be a full year, but they will cut you a break on your first time. Try to get as many days as possible, 90(?) might be the minimum they like to see.

I *think* that the first time OSA Special Issuance is normally a deferral, though. Renewals are simple in-office issuance, but the first time might mean a wait.

...not deferred, it you have a least a month's machine results
(first certification) showing >75% of nights with >6 hours' usage;
A current status letter form the PCP or SA doc making the case that you are well treated ("no daytime sleepiness, no right heart failure", etc);
and a copy of the original sleep study.

For renewals- the FAA wants the 360 day machine report as well as the doc's letter.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back