OSA & Medical

A

anonymous

So, I got excited about learning to fly... and figured what better than getting my medical out of the way. I filled out the forms from what I could recall/remember over the past three years, and scheduled an exam. I'm 36, overweight (315 and ~ 5'11") and am on blood pressure medicine, but it's controlled... didn't think of anything else.
What I missed... two years ago (thought it was over three and didn't even think about putting it down) I was diagnosed with OSA. I will have to find the sleep study (in home) results, but they were borderline (to the extent that insurance was difficult to get approval). I also wasn't sure of the results based upon feeling sick/congested during the study. Regardless, with good insurance, I decided to take the Dr.'s advice and I got the machine, tried it out, and made me feel worse so I ended up never using it.
During my medical, sleep apnea got brought up and at that time, I mentioned the above to the AME, also mentioned that I wasn't ever tired during the day/showing other symptoms/etc and that the study was requested originally due to higher BP which is now under control.
I am not sure what the AME put down on his side of the forms, but he passed me for my class III but mentioned the FAA may request additional information because of my BMI / heart rate. And that they may also request that sleep study. My heart rate and blood pressure were both higher that day than normal (I do check/monitor them regularly).
I just got the medical last week and obviously haven't heard anything yet from the FAA. At this point, what should I do? What will likely happen if the FAA decides to look further into medical records/etc. I didn't leave this off of my form intentionally for what that is worth.

I have a similar BMI and the AME deferred me just based on BMI for a sleep study. I was really, really ****ed at him initially, and since I still don't have my medical it has been tough as I really want to get back into the air.

However- I took the sleep study and found out I had severe OSA. I then got on APAP (it's better than CPAP, easier to get used to) and I am SOOOO glad I did. I feel so much better with a ton more energy and concentration/focus.

You withheld information from the FAA and I get it at some level- they can be a pain. BUT if you really do have sleep apnea you owe it to yourself to try treatment again.

For 3rd class medical, you meet the risk factors for OSA. Unless you report problems, the AME will issue your certificate, but you should have gotten a supplement letter saying that the FAA will be following up with you with a letter in the mail. From the time you get your letter from OK City, you will have 90 days to get the information back to them or they will invalidate your medical.

This may help you understand were you are, I suspect class 2, but it doesn't matter much for the moment other than you were not class 6. https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ices/aam/ame/guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/osa/

Right now - go fly.

Well, I talked to the AME... he mentioned in the notes I had a sleep study but that it wasn't found for me to have apnea. I'm not exactly sure how he determined that, I told him I had the minimal level to get insurance to approve it and had gotten the machine, which seemed to make matters worse for me. I'm fairly certain he marked me down based upon the evaluation as category #4. It's now been two weeks and I haven't seen or heard anything, but am not sure how long it typically takes for them to possible request any additional information. Regarding the study, I had an AHI of 6. I've also lost 25-30 pounds since then.

but am not sure how long it typically takes for them to possible request any additional information.
FAA Medical is crazy backed up with their case load. Been that way for a while, and word is, it's not improving. So it could be a while before you receive any notifications or requests.

Well, I talked to the AME... he mentioned in the notes I had a sleep study but that it wasn't found for me to have apnea. I'm not exactly sure how he determined that, I told him I had the minimal level to get insurance to approve it and had gotten the machine, which seemed to make matters worse for me. I'm fairly certain he marked me down based upon the evaluation as category #4. It's now been two weeks and I haven't seen or heard anything, but am not sure how long it typically takes for them to possible request any additional information. Regarding the study, I had an AHI of 6. I've also lost 25-30 pounds since then.

Everyone gets evaluated. Group 4 is actually the second best group and probably the best you could get. If you have no risk factors and no symptoms then you would be group 3. Based on your BMI alone but low risk (maybe because you've been evaluated), you were classified as low risk?

Regardless, the six groups break down this way -
Group 1 - has a current AASI and is current
Group 2 - had a prior assessment and will need an SI, but ok for now.
Group 3 - has no risk factors and no symptoms
Group 4 - has one or more risk factors and or symptoms. This may lead to an assessment.
Group 5 - High risk of OSA and will need an SI
Group 6 - basically, you have OSA but no SI. You get a denial and have to get yoru SI.

Groups 1-5 get issued a medical...so you are good to fly. Your instructions on what to do about your SI will come one day. Until then, you are good to go. At some point in the future you will be required to be officially tested and/or get a SI for OSA.

I am curious - if you do not have OSA, why do you have a CPAP?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back