Orthostatic Hypotension

T

TooHonest

Hi everyone, I'm a student pilot and am almost ready for my private pilot checkride. I have a third class medical. Almost four months ago I had what I believe was an instance of orthostatic hypotension which caused me to faint briefly (I was the one who posted about standing up too fast in the shower. Yes, that was a real question, and no, I'm not a troll. I was quite embarrassed about the event and didn't want to tell anyone about it, which is why I posted anonymously on this forum). I don't think there is anything wrong with me and I don't think I have an underlying medical condition because nothing similar has happened since then. But it seems like I will need to report the event the next time I apply for a medical certificate or Basic Med, because all instances of unconsciousness need to be reported. So my question is, when I report it the next time my medical comes up for renewal, is the FAA going to make a big deal out of it? Will they require me to take tests to prove there is nothing wrong with me, tests that may or may not be covered by insurance? When I applied for a medical this last time I needed to get some tests for things that happened more than 10 years ago, and I was surprised how the FAA basically assumed I was sick unless I could prove I was healthy. So I just wonder how they would handle this.

Did you really lose consciousness? Like came to on the floor with no idea how you got there, or just felt lightheaded after getting up to quickly? Did you go to the hospital? How would anyone know?

Did you really lose consciousness? Like came to on the floor with no idea how you got there, or just felt lightheaded after getting up to quickly? Did you go to the hospital? How would anyone know?

As far as I could tell, yeah. I felt light-headed, then I found myself on the floor having knocked over the shower curtain. I stood up, and a minute later I felt normal again. I didn't go to the hospital because I felt normal, and it seemed very obvious to me what had happened. I've had no problems since then, and no one else would know about this but me. So even though I don't like omitting facts, since I'm the only one who knows about it, maybe I should consider just not reporting for my next medical as long as it doesn't happen again.

I still have a difficult time believing this is real.
Why? Once, whilst showering, and picking up the soap I had dropped [insert prison joke here], I became lightheaded to the point of involuntarily dropping to my knees. The difference between that and actual LOC is miniscule. I was quite young and healthy at the time. (Many in my family tend to have low blood pressure anyway; I'm eating lots of meat and cheese to shore things up.)
That being said, if it happened once, I'd pretty much ignore it. If it happened more than once ...

Why? Once, whilst showering, and picking up the soap I had dropped [insert prison joke here], I became lightheaded to the point of involuntarily dropping to my knees. The difference between that and actual LOC is miniscule. I was quite young and healthy at the time. (Many in my family tend to have low blood pressure anyway; I'm eating lots of meat and cheese to shore things up.)
That being said, if it happened once, I'd pretty much ignore it. If it happened more than once ...

Only because the person's prior post referred to j**ing off in the shower. I mean. SRSLY. Why even discuss it.

Perfect subject for a troll post. I'm sad that I'm even posting this response, as it feeds the troll.

Only because the person's prior post referred to j**ing off in the shower. I mean. SRSLY. Why even discuss it.

Perfect subject for a troll post. I'm sad that I'm even posting this response, as it feeds the troll.
There are many uses for the shower, either solo or with a, um, co-pilot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back