Orlando, which one of you Cirrus drivers did this???

Please explain how telling everyone how long it will take you to get to an airport tells anyone where you are located. It is called a Common AREA Traffic Frequency because it is for more than just those landing at a specific airport.
I could explain, or you can just read what I wrote.

"I announce that I'm 6 minutes to the south inbound"

Are you referring to CTAF? Ah, I see you caught it!

Ha! Yah... It has been a long day and I did not think out my entire response properly. o_O

I could explain, or you can just read what I wrote.

"I announce that I'm 6 minutes to the south inbound"

....and you can answer the actual question that was asked.

That does NOT tell ANYONE where you ARE LOCATED.

If I am "12 minutes" south but only going half your speed, your non-standard terminology is goung to get us both killed.

....and you can answer the actual question that was asked.

That does NOT tell ANYONE where you ARE LOCATED.

If I am "12 minutes" south but only going half your speed, your non-standard terminology is goung to get us both killed.

No it's not going to get both of us killed because I look outside when I'm flying. This is important because if you rely on radio to know where other airplanes are, you'll miss the the Taylorcraft that doesn't have an electrical system and no handheld.

And second, I'm not using "non-standard terminology". When I approach an airport I make announcements using distance. I was simply posting about a thought I had. If you want to get your panties in wad about a discussion, then I hope it's pleasurable for you.

As for where I am located, you are absolutely correct if both aircraft are the same direction from the airport. Which is why I stated in my example one aircraft was to the north and the other is to the south. In your example, it would be relevant to address the distance.

Do you want get in a debate as to whether the distance is in statue miles, nautical miles, kilometers, chains or furlongs?

And I suggest you consider decaf.

No it's not going to get both of us killed because I look outside when I'm flying. This is important because if you rely on radio to know where other airplanes are, you'll miss the the Taylorcraft that doesn't have an electrical system and no handheld.

And second, I'm not using "non-standard terminology". When I approach an airport I make announcements using distance. I was simply posting about a thought I had. If you want to get your panties in wad about a discussion, then I hope it's pleasurable for you.

As for where I am located, you are absolutely correct if both aircraft are the same direction from the airport. Which is why I stated in my example one aircraft was to the north and the other is to the south. In your example, it would be relevant to address the distance.

Do you want get in a debate as to whether the distance is in statue miles, nautical miles, kilometers, chains or furlongs?

And I suggest you consider decaf.

Ad hominem = into the Bozo bin with you. Have fun in there.

I prefer people announcing distance and type. If I know both I know roughly how long it’s gonna take for someone to arrive. Time takes care of itself. Out here in Cali i have not heard once someone announcing the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The one raging PoA repeat debate that survived the virus... uncontrolled airports and radio calls! LOL

absolutely and i’m a little bothered by the debate, its obvious the proper radio call is

Podunkville area traffic any other traffic please advise; 1947 Cessna 140 taildragger, white with a blue stripe, 8.00s so negative on the wheel pants, 1859V is 8 minutes to the north, north east, which is 10 miles to the north north east, just south of the halfmoon lake but north of the radio tower on the east side of town, Ill be entering the 45 degree left downwind Pattern for a full stop on runway 10 and will exit via 18/36 to clear the active, any other traffic in the area please advise Podunkville area traffic...

Listening to an hour of ground and an hour of tower revealed no Cirrus tail num. See previous post (#69) for time and links to ATCLive if you would like to try your ears. To me many of the pilots are largely unintelligible. God bless the controllers' ears.

Google and the FAA aircraft registration records reveals:
https://www.l3commercialaviation.com which at KSFB is AEROSIM ACADEMY INC has the following SR20s registered at KSFB:
470DA 475DA 480DA 488DA 494DA 613DA
471DA 476DA 481DA 489DA 496DA
472DA 477DA 484DA 490DA 609DA
473DA 478DA 485DA 491DA 611DA
474DA 479DA 487DA 492DA 612DA

http://www.afaflyingservices.com/pilot-training/ also at KSFB has photos of a few of the above tail numbers on their website, so there may be some relationship there.

Yeah that's dumb, just like saying that Cirrus are the only ones who call 10 mile finals, not true. But I do that, did it when I was flying 172s and skippers too. Someone answers, I'll figure out if I can get in without messing them up, if I can't I'll circle around and do a 45 entry, or cross field. I do think that 3 or 4 planes doing patterns at a place where other airplanes are coming in should accommodate other traffic trying to come in or take off, or better yet, find a less busy airport, seems like the decent thing to do, but that's just me.

I think he was joking.

Me too, ;).

Me THREE and it was my post <GRIN>;):confused::eek:

Back