Orlando-Kissimmee Flight Jobs

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by apr911, May 20, 2020.

1. apr911

apr911 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    apr911
    Hi all,

I'll be moving to Orlando, about 20 minutes from west of Kissimmee-Gateway (KISM) in a month.

Looking for opportunities to put my CPL-SEL/SES to good use, part-time. I'm tailwheel (42.3hrs), hi-perf (22.8hrs), and complex (49.3hrs) endorsed and have my CFI/CFII. Currently around 340 hrs TTL.

I'm willing to travel a bit but I'd like to keep my commute (time ore so than distance though the 2 are pretty much in sync) down as much as possible. As I mentioned I'll be on the southwest side of town so closest airports to me (in order, closest to furthest) would be KISM (<10mi/20min), KMCO, KORL, KGIF (20-25mi/30min), KBOW, X04 (35mi/40min), KLAL, X61 (40-45mi/45min), KSFB (50mi/55min) and KLEE (60mi/70min). KSFB and KLEE would preferably be last resort.

Anyone know of anything and/or have a good contact in the area? Willing to give most anything a try but I dont get along with the owner of the "main" (or at least easiest to find) part 61 flight operation out of KISM.

2. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    Don’t forget about Brown’s Seaplanes...don’t know if that’s officially included in the airport list.

3. apr911

Display Name:

Display name:
    apr911
    I was trying to stick only to the "major" GA airports because I feel like they're the ones most likely to have a role available given their size and presence of FBOs. That being said I know some roles (ag, banner, p-line patrol) are more common out of the private airports in the area but we'd be here all day if I tried to list them off.

I also avoided listing seaplane bases for the same reason; its Florida and you practically cant throw a rock in any direction without hitting 2 or 3... I also pretty much consider Brown's to be more or less part of KGIF/Winter Haven. Plus I'm low time in seaplanes and instructing in general so while I'd love to give up some of my free time to spend it splashing around in a seaplane for pay I dont realistically know what I'd be able to do job-wise (or who would hire me as I know getting a position at Brown's is easier said than done).

4. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Amanda Hugandkiss
    I fly into ISM a fair amount and there always seems to be a swarm of training airplanes there, so I'm sure it'd be easy to get a CFI job there.

5. Half Fast

Half Fast En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast
    If you're looking for a CFI job, don't rule out First Landings at X04 in Apopka. Adam is often hiring instructors.

However, your timing sucks. Many CFIs have seen airline opportunities die from COVID-19. Consequently, there might not be any vacancies at the moment, and many regional pilots are grounded now and also scrounging for flying gigs.

6. apr911

Display Name:

Display name:
    apr911
    Very true. I'm not pressed or necessarily in a rush to find something as I'm not looking for something to build hours so I can run off to an airline, just looking for something that gets me flight time, a different flight experience and even adds a little extra coin in my pocket (I'm planning to use any money earned to start a plane fund) because of this I can afford to wait out COVID-19 to a degree. Though who knows how long it will be until flight ops at the airlines are back to any semblance of normal or pre-COVID ridership so I say that while still hoping to find something sooner rather than later.

I'm not really familiar with the various other options besides CFI in the area and even CFI, I only know a handful of schools, so my ask was less about who knows of open positions so much as building a list of reputable companies to potentially fly for... or disreputable ones to avoid (though that might be better in a PM than an open forum, dont want anyone being accused of libel/slander), after all, we all know there are more than a few unscrupulous operators out there with questionable planes and policies.

7. Half Fast

Half Fast En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast
    If you're willing to instruct Sport Pilot students, talk to Adam at First Landings. 407-886-7612 https://www.firstlandings.com/ They instruct all levels, but SP is their specialty and that one school has trained something like 20% of all the SPs in the country. They were pretty busy when I was out there last Sunday (I was renting a Warrior). SP training isn't effected by airline declines the same way PP is; wannabe airline pilots start out with Private, not Sport.