Organizing airplane documentation - maintenance records, receipts, etc

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I bought a large 3 ring binder and some dividers as I wanted to organize all the documentation that we have kept since we got the plane. This includes maintenance records (work orders), receipts (mostly from Aircraft Spruce), and any other documentation that we have received over the past few years.

As of now I have made dividers and separated it into Avionics, Electrical, Interior, and Mechanical. I may change that, but so far it seems to working out alright.

Do you guys keep all your receipts filed from things you have bought? I guess I am just not sure what is worth keeping and what is not. Now a days of course, all these receipts are kept online at the retailer (Aircraft Spruce, etc), but I have held onto all of them so far.

I already have a very neat binder that is kept in the airplane that contains an AD log that I maintain, oil change info, registration/insurance, airplane flight manual, weight and balance, and supplementals (for G5, auto gas, etc). So this thread does not pertain to any of that. I have a separate binder I am creating to just keep track of all the maintenance history as discussed above.

Thanks.

I do except for gas since I can run a report from my credit card. I file by year and not by subject matter and I use page protectors to hold the receipts. I also put installation instructions, warranties, and anything else not required to be in the log books or kept in the aircraft in my binder. I also keep an up to date word file that shows repairs, upgrades, enhancements, etc. by subject matter.

I have a zippered binder with the AD list, the aircraft/engine/prop, and a bunch of the pertinent 337's and recent "yellow tags" in it). I periodically move obsolete stuff (old yellow tags, and other things that managed to get inserted there that don't need to be referenced frequently) to a file cabinet.

In the back of the plane is another binder with all the various stuff that HAS to be in the plane: Flight manual supplements to the non-existant flight manual, pilot guides for the various avionics, and a neat W&B summary sheet that I used ten years ago during my instrument checkride to show the examiner. The airworthiness certificate, registration, and (back when I was in Virignia, state registration card) live in a "leather" envelope (I think I got it from Hooker Harnesses) in the rear seat footwell (so the airworthiness certificate is visible).

Back