Oregon Coast weather - mid/late February?

john smith

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
john smith
I must make a trip in the next month to visit relatives in Southwest Oregon.
I will fly into PDX and am looking at driving or renting a plane for a week.
What is the weather along the Oregon Coast like from mid- to late February?
The last time I did this was pre-911 and I took my flight bag.
Given the theft that is so commonplace in the airline baggage areas, I would not be bringing my stuff. Maybe four headsets and the 496 in carry-on.
Is the weather mostly IFR or VFR between Portland and Brookings?
Also, as an alternative, who provides commuter service into Northern California and from which gateway airports?
Thanks!

taken late Feb. on the coast below Newburg.

Not every day, is as nice as that day.

Attachments

• N2801 Delivery trip 028.jpg
    N2801 Delivery trip 028.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 9
  • N2801 Delivery trip 030.jpg
    N2801 Delivery trip 030.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 10
  • N2801 Delivery trip 031.jpg
    N2801 Delivery trip 031.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 10
  • N2801 Delivery trip 032.jpg
    N2801 Delivery trip 032.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 9
you can go "I follow roads"

that's I-5 Eugene is 10 miles ahead.

Attachments

• N2801 Delivery trip 025.jpg
    N2801 Delivery trip 025.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 6
I must make a trip in the next month to visit relatives in Southwest Oregon.
I will fly into PDX and am looking at driving or renting a plane for a week.
What is the weather along the Oregon Coast like from mid- to late February?
The last time I did this was pre-911 and I took my flight bag.
Given the theft that is so commonplace in the airline baggage areas, I would not be bringing my stuff. Maybe four headsets and the 496 in carry-on.
Is the weather mostly IFR or VFR between Portland and Brookings?
Also, as an alternative, who provides commuter service into Northern California and from which gateway airports?
Thanks!

I can't tell you much about mid-Feb weather, but...

I have taken my flight bag as a carry-on on the airlines with no issues whatsoever.

Also, that area's got some beautiful sights for us pilots to see. Enjoy! :yes:

Be IFR current, prepared for a pop-up or to file IFR at any time and have an IFR capable ship. It can also get totally clear all the way to the coast sometimes too, for fantastic winter views.

Be IFR current, prepared for a pop-up or to file IFR at any time and have an IFR capable ship. It can also get totally clear all the way to the coast sometimes too, for fantastic winter views.

IFR approaches into coastal airports with high terrain in the vicinity is not something I relish, especially not being familiar with the local airports and weather.

Does the summer-time "rule-of-thumb" that if it is foggy on the coast it will be clear inland hold during the winter?

Does the summer-time "rule-of-thumb" that if it is foggy on the coast it will be clear inland hold during the winter?

No....... do the eastern Pacific sat, see where the jet stream is bringing the storms on shore, you may get lucky.

IFR approaches into coastal airports with high terrain in the vicinity is not something I relish, especially not being familiar with the local airports and weather.

Old pilot trick: Fly IR approach right, no hit-um mountain.

The weather is crap.... but you never know... there are VFR days now and then.

You mean the marine layer in the summer months? If so, that is caused by high temps in the interior relative to the cold water of the Pacific. In the winter you don't have that temperature gradient between the coast and the interior. So, the answer to your question is, No.

The winter weather patterns are more associated with widespread frontal activity and usually extend across entire regions, the interior included. Winter is always a time for dramatic weather, especially when you have the ocean, valleys, and mountainous terrain all within one region.

Bottom line, go but it's hit or miss.

Last edited:
Back