Options I’m looking at

jmp470

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John
I might have access to a hangar that’s about 10 minutes from the house, so now I’m shopping for an aircraft. I’m looking at the Flight Design airplane or the Cavalon Gyrocopter.

I’m torn, my mission is fun with a little bit of XC involved.

Does anyone have experience with either of them?

Thanks

I’ve flown the flight design and really disliked its flight characteristics... make sure you fly one before considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flight design was what I originally wanted. I went to their place in Woodstock, CT. Tom straight up told me to get a PPL. I was young and eager, he turned me off, so I went with a Cirrus. Glad I did. But, now I just want a two seater.

I have a few hours in the ct line. They’re not a bad airplane fun to fly. I fly a two seat liberty,which is a certified airplane.

I guess it depends on what "a little XC" means to you.

Gyrocropters seem really fun. [I've only been right seat in one]

I don't hear a lot of great things about Flight Design. There are many LSA's with better press.

It is the most popular LSA on this side of the pond - there has to be reason why people buy them and the price is not one of them ...

Get a tail dragger

An LSA would fit your mission to a tee unless you're heavy and need a lot of useful load. What's not to like about 115 knots cruise speed on 5 1/2 gph in a light, nimble, fun to fly airplane? Try to attend one of the light sport fly-ins like Sebring FL, Mt Vernon IL, DeLand FL, and EAA events like Sun 'n Fun, Oshkosh, Arlington WA, etc.

If one is to get a Gyrocopter one should invest in the training to fly one.

I might have access to a hangar that’s about 10 minutes from the house, so now I’m shopping for an aircraft. I’m looking at the Flight Design airplane or the Cavalon Gyrocopter.

I’m torn, my mission is fun with a little bit of XC involved.

Does anyone have experience with either of them?

Thanks

Check out the Tecnam P2008. Great little cross country airplane.

I flew the Calidus Gyro at Auto Gyro USA in Chesapeake MD and was really interested. It’s the only certified gyro in the US. Be forewarned, insurance is a killer. Training not so bad, especially if your a pilot already. I went LSA, buying a Sling2. It fit my current (retirement) mission. I should have never sold my first plane a Grumman Tiger, but hey, we all make mistakes.

Take your time, fly each aircraft before making your decision. I can tell you, I flew the CTSW and CTLSi and found them squirrely. Also flew the Remos and RV-12 S-LSA. The -12 was top of my list, but they couldn’t promise delivery last year, so I kept up my search and luckily found the Sling.

Good Luck to you...

Thanks all for the input. I’m waiting to hear back about the hangar. I’m not flying anything until then, as I don’t want to drive 30 or 40 minutes to another airport. And I know myself enough to know that if I fly something and like it, I will buy it.

I have looked into air park living, and there is a grass strip around here, but, we all love this house. So unless something big happens, we are not selling the house.

Back