Options for Reiff heater power source

AlleyCat67

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
AleyCat67
Hi all,

I'm one of those unfortunates who doesn't have access to a hangar or a convenient AC outlet for my new Reiff preheater. My understanding is that I need to preheat (@300W) for at least a couple of hours before flying in 20-40F weather (Grumman Tiger with a O-360).

I'm looking at either a small gasoline powered generator or a Li-ion battery pack. This guy caught my attention as it is lightweight, and could seemingly provide 300W for 2-3 hours without dealing with gasoline & oil. But I'm also wondering about the safety of carrying a Li-ion battery pack in the back seat of the plane on XC flights. Somehow, opening the canopy and dropping a smoldering hot battery pack over suburban Maryland doesn't seem like the best way to make friends with the FAA.

So, what do you all use to power your preheaters in the absence of an AC outlet?

I keep something similar in the plane but it’s lead acid (and a few years older). Mine also has a light and jumper cables and an air compressor.

I’ve been looking for a Lithium battery pack. I would have no worries about it. I understand that the technology is different.

Yeti makes a version called Goal Zero.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless you're charging or discharging it in the plane I wouldn't worry too much about the battery pack. But really the generator is probably going to be better bang for your buck(no pun intended) You can get a cheap Harbor Freight 700W for $120 or so(2 cycle, so it needs oil+fuel mixed) might even survive more than one winter.

FWIW, last time I was in Alaska there were several airplanes on the ramp with Honda generators running.

Unless you're charging or discharging it in the plane I wouldn't worry too much about the battery pack. But really the generator is probably going to be better bang for your buck(no pun intended) You can get a cheap Harbor Freight 700W for $120 or so(2 cycle, so it needs oil+fuel mixed) might even survive more than one winter.

Good point... I see the TailGator for $114 on Harbor Freight, so I might go that route instead. Thanks!

Good point... I see the TailGator for $114 on Harbor Freight, so I might go that route instead. Thanks!

Strangely, Aldi (yes, the grocery store) had a very nice little 2000 watt inverter generator (equivalent to the Honda, but probably a chinese manufactured unit) for $250 here in the local store. I got the last one. Very quiet and munch more trustworthy (IMO) than what you'd get at Horror Fright.

A 2000 watt unit is great because you can power your Reiff and a blowdryer (or cube heater) with it. The cube heater or blowdryer, blowing through your cowling intake (with the other one plugged) will quickly heat your cylinders, as opposed to the Reiff, which will slowly heat your sump and the oil it contains. 30 minutes with a cube heater and the Reiff will make a noticeable difference in your engine's cranking ability and should significantly reduce wear.

I use a 1000w generator. In mid teens temps my engine is warmer than summer in just a couple of hours using the Turbo XP package.

Last edited:
Strangely, Aldi (yes, the grocery store) had a very nice little 2000 watt inverter generator (equivalent to the Honda, but probably a chinese manufactured unit) for $250 here in the local store. I got the last one. Very quiet and munch more trustworthy (IMO) than what you'd get at Horror Fright.

A 2000 watt unit is great because you can power your Reiff and a blowdryer (or cube heater) with it. The cube heater or blowdryer, blowing through your cowling intake (with the other one plugged) will quickly heat your cylinders, as opposed to the Reiff, which will slowly heat your sump and the oil it contains. 30 minutes with a cube heater and the Reiff will make a noticeable difference in your engine's cranking ability and should significantly reduce wear.
Reef also has cylinder heaters but it uses a lot more power. However that still more efficient than a cube heater.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Reef also has cylinder heaters but it uses a lot more power. However that still more efficient than a cube heater.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

No doubt. But a cube heater is $20 and the heat bands are $$$. I'd rather have the heat bands, but for the cost difference (and given my climate), a cube heater makes sense for me.

Resistance heaters are hard on a battery. The battery is 12vdc and needs to be inverted to 120vac. I doubt the battery will last very well in that role. My Reiff systems consume 800w and 600w and in mid teens temps need 2-3 minimum hours to preheat the engine to starting temps. Longer is better.

Living on Lake Hood, I've seen the locals pretty much only use the Honda gas gens. I think everyone knows that the reliability of them is the biggest reason they are ubiquitous. Light enough to take with if needed. I have a 2200 watt 4C that has never failed to start in the winter. I also don't use pump gas, only VP canned gas or similar.

I've also seen AC inverters hooked up to their cars. Stay warm while warming up the plane and you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back