opportunity to work in Miami for AA

$100k for living in SE Florida is not much, and will degrade a standard of living rapidly.

If one doesn’t mind a substandard rental in a seedy part of town, or far west enough to be in the glades (swamp) coupled with a torturous commute, then it’s doable.

Gopher it. Union contract, built-in raises, ability to transfer cities, build seniority, build retirement. Fly free on standby and other bennies.
I don't have any insight on Miami, but I've been a mechanic at AA (America West, US Airways) for over 30 years.
Gopher's correct. Lots of movement opportunities, a decent wage, 401k match and a union pension (maybe).

I’m a Florida native. Florida has some great places to live (and I refuse to post them on a public forum) but Miami ain’t one ‘em. Miami is sorta like Florida’s version of LA except with mosquitoes and hurricanes.

But for a year or two, if it means upward career motion? Sure. But you might want to leave your family elsewhere for that period. Visit them on your days off.

Most of the responses were 'I've never lived there, but it sucks!' so almost the first half of this thread is worthless. And saying you don't like X without giving a single reason why also is not a reply. I know I am asking for 'free advice' but most of the posts were not even worth the 'free' cost.

You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. I've been there and it's not a place for me. It's not my fault that you didn't get the answers you wanted. I was sincere when I said if it's a place for you ... have at it and may you do well. I do think after you've been there for a little while you'll agree with me but you'd never come back and admit it. o_O

You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. I've been there and it's not a place for me. It's not my fault that you didn't get the answers you wanted. I was sincere when I said if it's a place for you ... have at it and may you do well. I do think after you've been there for a little while you'll agree with me but you'd never come back and admit it. o_O

Oh I dunno, the more OP complains about the quality, content, and worth of the free advice he received, the more I think he'd make a great Floridian. :D

Oh I dunno, the more OP complains about the quality, content, and worth of the free advice he received, the more I think he'd make a great Floridian. :D
:yeahthat:

That one went through the stadium lights ....

Housing affordability will be the biggest challenge imo. I think its still worth pursuing as long as you have a transfer strategy or somehow manage to carve yourself a personally compatible solution to that line item on the ledger.

As to the social merits of living anywhere, it's pointless to ask on the internet. We all have our reflexive predilections and self sorting behavior, good bad or indifferent.

Good luck with your decision. Cheers.

To the op, look online for housing, if you can make t work go for it.
I did 3 years in Jupiter to get out of town. Florida is good and bad. Like anywhere else. FL is an interesting place. Hope you have fun and it works for you.
Bach north now.

Back