Opinions requested on PS Engineering Intercoms

N5571Q

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Theo
I am thinking about having a panel mount intercom installed. This is the one I like the looks of:

http://www.ps-engineering.com/pm1200.shtml

It appeals to be because of it's lack of squelch controls and special design to deal with noise. My old Mooney isn't all that much more noisy than others I don't suppose, but everything helps I guess.

Has anyone on the forum had experience with PS Engineering's intercoms, particularly the pm1200? I sure am tired of dealing with all the dangling wires on the semi-permanently mounted portable I have been using for years now.

They are a competitor of mine, but even so, they are among the best engineered designs I've seen. Having said that, the best engineering can be unraveled by a lousy installation.

Jim

Thanks for the input, Jim. I built one of your audio panels back in the 80's and put it in my first Mooney when I "updated" the panel. It worked great! :thumbsup:

bee25f733048721f5085431a5282d067.jpg

I've had the 6000 installed for almost 10 years, no problems. Once upon a time, it was OEM'd by Apollo (IIRC).

Has anyone on the forum had experience with PS Engineering's intercoms, particularly the pm1200? I sure am tired of dealing with all the dangling wires on the semi-permanently mounted portable I have been using for years now.

I've had the 1000II since 1994 in my cherokee 140.
Absolutely no problems with it.

What's it take to legally do that?

In my case I had a cooperative A&P/AI in the next hanger to do the paperwork. He was also the guy I bought the airplane from. The kit was fun to build. If I remember correctly I sent it back to RST after it was done and they adjusted all it's internal pots with their test gear and sent it back. Then I installed the panel and the "new" radios. It started out like this:

bee262513048721f5059a4c1654ccf70.jpg

PS engineering intercoms are the best in the business, IMO. King thinks so, too, as PS makes the ones that have King's logo on them. Or did last time I visited the folks in Knoxville.

Theo,
I don't think you'd need the 1200 in a Mooney. Give PS engineering a call and ask them. I just put a used PS-501 in my plane and it works great.

When I purchased it - my Cherokee had an audio panel (KMA24) but did not have an intercom. I bought a PS Engineering Aerocom Portable intercom, and (other than tripping over the wires/cords) was really happy with it.

A few years later, I replaced my KMA24 with the nearly pin compatible (had to add wiring for the intercom) PS7000B. I've been really happy with it in the ~3-4 years since.

What's it take to legally do that?

You build it. You provide it. Have it installed as a "minor" rather than a "major" bit of work, which does not require anything more than a logbook notation. I seem to remember reading this on Jim's page somewhere.. deep in the bowels.

They are a competitor of mine, but even so, they are among the best engineered designs I've seen. Having said that, the best engineering can be unraveled by a lousy installation.

Jim
I have a portable 4 place intercom. When I did have a problem (1 in 9 yrs) their customer service was superior. One of the C-182s at the club I used to belong to had a PS installed in the panel. The club tasked me with reconciling the problem. Again, PS customer service was superior.

In the panel install, it turned out it was a faulty installation. PS walked me through the entire wiring.

My last plane was a PA-28-160. I switched up to a PS intercom and was happy.

Last edited:
PM3000 in the Bo. Love it. Set it once, haven't fiddled with it since. Music sounds great. :D

I am thinking about having a panel mount intercom installed. This is the one I like the looks of:

http://www.ps-engineering.com/pm1200.shtml

It appeals to be because of it's lack of squelch controls and special design to deal with noise. My old Mooney isn't all that much more noisy than others I don't suppose, but everything helps I guess.

If you ever listen to music on your headphones I strongly recommend the PM3000 over the 1200 for your Mooney. The 1200 was designed for airplanes with really noisy cockpits like warbirds etc. No Mooney I've ever ridden in was loud enough to need a special "high noise" intercom. If you're going through the trouble of a permanent installation there's little reason not to go stereo and the PM3000 is one of the best (and it's about the same price). Even if you don't listen to music, a stereo intercom will add more value to the plane if you ever sell it.

Excellent input from all ... thanks much! After doing more research I must agree that the PM1000// or PM3000 would be better choices. I was hoping to do it before my vacation in a couple of weeks but I guess will have to stick with the portable for another couple of months.

Our Pitts had a PS Engineering intercom in it. It worked great! Their microphone technology is superb. The Pitts was not a quiet plane. Much better than the Garmin 347 (?) audio panel we have in the Cessna now. We'd replace the Garmin w/ the PS Engineering 8000, but hubby will have to re-pin the connectors and we don't have the time right now.

Back