Opinions on JeppView

jdwatson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JDW
Any JeppView Customers ?

Greetings IFRers !

After hauling around 30lbs of paper for a year I'm considering moving to JeppView. I have a bit of trepidation about plunking down $551 (East Coast coverage). Buyer's remorse, operational difficulties & etc are issues I'm wading thru.

What do y'all have to say about JeppView ?

I'm trying to avoid a discussion on Jeppesen vs. NACO, but let the approach plates fall where they may !

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,

I've had Jeppview on an MX20 for about the last 18 months. I have to say I use it the least of applications I have on the MX20. (I use WSI as the default page on the box.) With Jeppview it's too difficult to move the approach plate around on the screen to get desired info. Many of the approach plates are "geosynchronized" so a loaded approach plate is overlaid on the chart being viewed. This is a great feature that lets you confirm that you're flying the approach correctly but I wouldn't fly without the paper approach plate.

My preferred method is Jeppview and printing out plates for departure, destination and likely alternates.

Re: Any JeppView Customers ?

jdwatson said:
Greetings IFRers !

After hauling around 30lbs of paper for a year I'm considering moving to JeppView. I have a bit of trepidation about plunking down $551 (East Coast coverage). Buyer's remorse, operational difficulties & etc are issues I'm wading thru.

I'm trying to avoid a discussion on Jeppesen vs. NACO, but let the approach plates fall where they may !

Thanks!
JD I have subscribed for six years. I'm among the first 100 subscribers and though it's pricey I have NO PLANS to quit. Very, very slick.

jdwatson said:
Greetings IFRers !

Thanks!

These are some very good questions. Just last week I ended a 2 month research period looking at new technology in the cockpit. It all started when we decided weather in the cockpit and some kind of terrain warning system would be nice in the aircraft. We were than wondering if it would be advantageous to go paperless in the cockpit. We looked at all the different kind of tablets and programs that run on them. We made many different cardboard models of each of the tablet pc's and tested them in the cockpit. We found that the only systems that fit in the airplane were too small to read properly (sony u71), large easily readable ones like the motion 1400 would not fit without getting in the way. We also were aware of the hard drive problem because there are many occasions where the hard drive 12-15k limitation would get in the way. To rectify this problem would require a $2000 sealed laptop drive that would not be available until september of this year.

We also decided with computer problems we have had in the past that we would always want a paper copy of the approach plate. So to make a long story short we decided to install some new avionics in the panel and keep the paper charts in the aircraft.

I think the EFB units area great. However, I DO think it is important to print out the dest and alt plates on every trip you take.

I have not used the jepp program. When I was looking Airgator/navair looked to be one of the better cheaper programs.

I probably did not answer any of your questions but I hope this was helpful.

bbchien said:
JD I have subscribed for six years. I'm among the first 100 subscribers and though it's pricey I have NO PLANS to quit. Very, very slick.

Is there anything you wished JeppView did or did differently ? Do you find that you're printing all the time ? Or do you end up with a stable collection ?

I Print only ILSs along the route, origin, terminal and alternates. I carry a portable printer for use at FBOs (which I have used once) and the laptop. I have only once had to fly an apporach off the laptop- that's a hoot.

I used JeppView for several years, and although I found the interface a little clunky at times, it was a great service. Unfortunately, the price just got too high given the type of IFR flying I was doing. So I switched to SmartPlates from Seattle Avionics.

It offers a variety of options (including downloads to a PDA). You may want to check out the demo.

Thanks, I'll give them a peek. I'm very partial to Jeppesen. For some reason, their format is closer to how my head works. I learned on both NACO and Jepp but I'm much more at ease with Jepp.

I hear that JeppView 3.0 is much better than the previous version.

The differences between NACO and Jeppesen charts have diminished since NACO adopted the Briefing Strip format. And the quality of the paper isn't an issue if you print your own NACO charts, either via SmartPlates, AOPA, any of a number of other commercial providers, or the NACO site.

You can find a summary of relatively recent options (including JeppView 3.0) in a review I wrote for the GA News in October 2004.

Bruce, nice summary. Man, you are everywhere aren't you ?

Back