Opinions about Gaston's runway markers

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Danny Gaston asked me what we thought he should do with the runway markers. I told him that people here probably don't have opinions about stuff, but that I would ask anyway. ;)

He seems to be appreciative of our comments and would like to act on improvements that we suggest. I, for one, don't like the big white runway markers and would like to see them taken out altogether. What do you guys think?

He said there will be free internet connections by next spring. I think he read some of the posts here about it, and has seen how important it is to some people. He also enjoyed the video and the pictures that we posted.

He's a really nice young man. :)

ok you asked...
1) Air condition the outdoors area.
2) pave the runway
3) get fuel
4) move the mountain
5) girls in mini skirts on rollerskates delivering cold beer

that should do it for now.

Michael

Michael said:
ok you asked...
2) pave the runway
3) get fuel
4) move the mountain

LOL! But what about the runway markers? ;)

Diana said:
LOL! But what about the runway markers? ;)

Oh, I liked them, If it wernt for them, i wouldve landed at that field across the river.

Mike they have fuel. Diana, I am OK with markers... as long as they are no higher than the shortest blade of grass. How about painting a few edge markers right on the ground. In fact, we need some kind of "1/2 runway remaining marker" so why not just 6 edge marks in white paint?

Personally, I think that the markers made the runway easier to spot. Base to final, I saw everyone (not just Michael and I) turned not quite lined up for the runway. Upon seeing the markers, it was easy to adjust and aim for the runway. If nothing else, the markers keep people from landing on the other side of the river.

I liked the runway markers, I just thought they should be lower, approximately 6" high, that way the would clear a prop if need be. And I like the idea of a half way marker. But over all, its a top notch place.

How about marks about 30' up the trees so we have visual guidance for the approach slope near the threshold?!

I understand the concerns about the low hitching-post runway markers, was deeply concerned about them when I saw pictures posted before arriving.

But.

When I got there, I was much less concerned, as they are far enough over that, if one is substantially affected by the marker, they're likely on the way to an interaction with the fence or the treeline, as the case may be, anyway.

Of course, I have found the almost-universal half-buried white painted tire to be entirely effective elsewhere. That would be lower than the wooden monsters and, from time to time, might make the difference between a fright, and an accident.

Michael said:
ok you asked...
2) pave the runway
3) get fuel
4) move the mountain

Michael

I strongly agree with #1 and #5.

There was a mountain (#4)? I apparently fixated on the chainsaw exclusion zone located on short final.

Runways can be paved (#2)?

Oh, yeah, get rid of the Russian judge...a "7"? Sheesh.

BTW, what runway markers?

Michael said:
ok you asked...
2) pave the runway
3) get fuel
4) move the mountain

Michael

1) yes
2) no. Grass is okay.
3) they have it
4) no prob
5) an an equal number of young men doing the same

also:
6) actual line staff. The staff member who fueled the plane helped with tie downs but the staff that helped with my luggage when I landed knew nothing about planes.
7) COFFEE MACHINES in the regular rooms (PLEASE)
8) another ice machine farther down the line than by cabin 19
9) golf cart shuttles running up and down the hill
10) clocks in the rooms
11) hair dryers in the rooms
12) soap larger than a postage stamp ;)

The place is very nice, don't get me wrong. But if he's asking for a wish list I'll comply. I realize many of the guests arrive by car and are accustomed to bringing far more with them than those who fly in.

I would really, really like to see the markers taken down. If markers are needed, I'd like to see them flush with the ground.

1. Runway markers changed to white boards so they can be run over if necessary.
2. Move the windsock to somewhere useful - say outside the approach end of the field.
3. Water mister with fan available.
4. Echo the coffee machine in the room
5. I had no problem with the ice machine (I was in Cabin 19! :D )

1. Move it to Colorado or Pennsylvania. I have homes in both and don't see a need to go anywhere else.

2. No personal experience, just "hearsay ad nauseum", but I don't do bugs or humidity anymore so either spray with a mixture of chloridane and Agent Orange, and bring in a NASA climate bubble or forget it.

3. Gaston's should provide a film crew to film the entire event for detailed review, critique and discussion later.

4. Young women in mini skirts on roller skates delivering cold beer is adaquete.

Ed Guthrie said:
Oh, yeah, get rid of the Russian judge...a "7"? Sheesh.

Ed, you got a "7"? Wish I could have seen it. Gee, I would initiate the appeal process. Although, I'm not sure if a low winged nosedragger airplane can get more than 9 1/2 (unless it would be Dave Taylor and he has wooden wings AND he took me for a ride, so he gets extra credit for that). :yes:

So, how would you rate your landing? Now, don't be modest. ;)

Carol said:
5) an an equal number of young men doing the same
Carol, do we want them in mini skirts, or should we have them wear something different? ;)

Excellent list, Carol. (7) and (9) would be lifesavers. It was a great place, though, with a friendly, hospitable staff.

Diana said:
Carol, do we want them in mini skirts, or should we have them wear something different? ;)

HAHA. The first time I read that I skimmed it and thought you wrote, "or should we wear something different?" I almost choked.

I'd want the guy-staff in shorts like the bastketball players used to wear when Wilt the Stilt was playing. B)

Carol said:
I'd want the guy-staff in shorts like the bastketball players used to wear when Wilt the Stilt was playing. B)
Maybe some of those Chippendale guys are looking for work.

Toby said:

You certainly don't want the "Men of POA" dressed like that:hairraise:

Carol said:
HAHA. The first time I read that I skimmed it and thought you wrote, "or should we wear something different?" I almost choked.

I have a short Kilt :)

Humm Maybe I should work the corners of times square?

Carol said:
12) soap larger than a postage stamp ;)

Hehe... For real! I didn't know they made soap that small.

As for the runway markers, I thought they were just fine. They are nice and visible, differentiate the runway from the strip across the river as others have pointed out, and IMHO they are a lot more obvious to the ground pounders than something flush to the ground would be.

I would like to see some sort of halfway mark or 1000' markers to allow for an easier go/no-go decision on the takeoff roll.

Another possible improvement would be something that's on the centerline near the base to final turn. As Nick pointed out, most of us had a curved final approach, following the greener grass along the river. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I guess.

Eamon said:
I have a short Kilt :)

Humm Maybe I should work the corners of times square?

I thought you already did? Hey, flying is expensive, do what ya gotta do. :)

Last edited:
Toby said:

They must be able to handle an airplane appropriately. If they meet that qualification then go for it :)

Should my wife ever have the good fortune of meeting ya'll, you will have to ask her about the time she got to take a Chippendale's underwear off.

With her teeth. :D :wonderwoman:

Last edited:
And nice stripes! I was very impressed when I picked you up, but since I had just narrowly missed getting arrested, I was a little discombobulated.

Re: Opinions about Gaston's runway markers/thread creep

Toby said:
And nice stripes! I was very impressed when I picked you up, but since I had just narrowly missed getting arrested, I was a little discombobulated.

Arrested? :hairraise:

Re: Opinions about Gaston's runway markers/thread creep

Carol said:
Arrested? :hairraise:
Well, Y'all know whenever I am around, the police are not too far away :)

HPNFlyGirl said:
Toby...Looks like you do know the Captain. :) I think he would look sexy in a kilt.

BTW Eamon, Do you wear anything underneath your kilt? :D

Choose one :)

1) Nothing is worn, everything is in perfect working order.

2) It's the smallest airport in the world.....2 hangars and a night fighter.

3) String -- I had to tie it up so it didn’t hang below the kilt.

4) On a good day, lipstick.

5) My Scottish pride.

gibbons said:
I would really, really like to see the markers taken down. If markers are needed, I'd like to see them flush with the ground.

Why Chip? IIRC they're placed such that your wings will hit something else before you connect with a marker.

And I second the idea for some kind of lead in markers.

lancefisher said:
Why Chip? IIRC they're placed such that your wings will hit something else before you connect with a marker.
No way. The markers are placed perfectly for a prop strike on a blind landing, especially at the east end where they're only about 50' apart.

gibbons said:
No way. The markers are placed perfectly for a prop strike on a blind landing, especially at the east end where they're only about 50' apart.

OK, then I agree they should be lowered. I guess I really only noticed them from the air.

I didn't find anything wrong with the markers. They do what they were made for, that is show the edge of the runway. Like someone else said, if you can't get in between them maybe you should land at BPK. But Michael has a good point #5 would be a nice touch. Please don't think of pavement. It is a great grass strip!:blowingkisses:

Danny Gaston has been reading this thread (and the windsock thread), so he has lots of suggestions to work with now. Thanks guys. :)

He enjoyed looking at all the pictures, too. I'll send him one of Michael's DVD's as well.

Back