Opinion

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
"Every pilot should have a current copy of the FAR/AIM within easy reach for reference and review."

How much do you agree with that statement? Can you say you comply with that statement?

Richard said:
"Every pilot should have a current copy of the FAR/AIM within easy reach for reference and review."

How much do you agree with that statement? Can you say you comply with that statement?

Yes, although I don't always follow my own advice. I've been flying for 16 years, and occasionally refer to the FAR/AIM when I want to double check my memory on some point. This may be a function of where I do most of my flying, but there are certain recommended procedures I just don't trust myself to remember, and having the FAR/AIM handy gives me the security of being able to look them up if I want to.

I guess this goes along with my general philosophy that you can't be too conscientious. I'm about to get my instrument currency back after almost three years, and will be actually studying the thing again. I remember almost everything, but it seems to me that it's the things you think you remember but don't really that get you into trouble.

As with the kinetic skills of flying, practice makes perfect.

Judy

Richard said:

Agree, yes. Comply, not always.

When flying, no.
At home, we all do - online. And we should all endeavor to refer to it regularily.

Richard:

The 2006 edition is sitting right here in my bookcase, but have to admit, I haven't opened it a lot this year yet.

Dave

Richard said:

I generally don't carry it in the plane or flight bag.

In the plane, if I'm looking up a FAR or even a procedure in the AIM, it's too late. I just don't have the ability to keep the plane level and read the fine print while looking for traffic. I generally fly planes that do not have autopilot.

On the ground, you can usually find a copy of the FAR/AIM if you need it - even if that means borrowing one from the pilot shop.

I do have a copy at home, and I make an effort to puzzle out the changes from year to year.

Richard said:

I agree. I always have the latest copy at home and last years copy at work. I opened both yesterday to look up some stuff related to questions here and elsewhere.

I have Far/AIM 05 and don't plan on buying another one any time soon, I can't justify the cost. Plus there is no point when you can just go to the FAA's website.

It's too late in the airplane to be messing with trying to understand a FAR.

Current copy at home. Not in the plane. Too much weight for too little immediate usefulness.

Jim G

Richard said:

Mostly agree. Comply - sort of within reason.

My copy is a several years old since I haven't been flying in a while and I cross reference with the online version occasionally. It's really useful on these boards to stay academically up to date which is mainly why I hang around these parts.
From what I've seen, the changes are fairly slow so it's not like you have to relearn it from scratch every year. (FWIW, a few months ago I was looking at the 1983 copy I have out of curiousity and as long as you stick by those rules you can stay mostly out of trouble at least for VFR puttering around, BUT there have been some ramp check bust class changes and it is essential to stay more current than a 20 year old copy can possibly keep you) 2006 would be prefered if you have time to read the 1000ish pages but I'd bet you're reasonably safe using a 2005 or even a 2003 copy. Personally I would rather have a year to year update list "this information has changed since the last edition____" kind of thing rather than a whole new book and having to go page by page to find the one relevant hidden minor change that can get you in trouble. A new book won't keep anyone out of trouble, knowing what the changes are can.

As for having the 2 inch thick 1000 page book open in the right seat while flying, nope, no way, no how. It stays at home. That would be like going through a 500 step prelanding checklist as you're crossing the fence. It's useless at that point in the game. Once you're in the plane, either you know it at that point or you not going to.

Last edited:
Instead of the FARs, we are all now required to carry 1 (one) attorney each, in a readily accessible portion of the baggage compartment or airplane cabin.

Single seat a/c now must affix the same attorney within shouting distance to the cabin, somewhere on the exterior of the aircraft.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Instead of the FARs, we are all now required to carry 1 (one) attorney each, in a readily accessible portion of the baggage compartment or airplane cabin.
Single seat a/c now must affix the same attorney within shouting distance to the cabin, somewhere on the exterior of the aircraft.

Better yet: A satellite system that automatically connects direct to the FAA from the plane. At any given moment it sorts out what you're doing, where you're going, how you're doing it and what is relevant. Then displays the real time relevant FAR, AIM and legal aviation interpretation information and an acceptable flight vector line on a HUD. Since the information is updated constantly from the master source file, you will always have the correct information when you need it. :dunno:

I carry the current year's FAR/AIM in my flightbag. I also review the changes when the new one is published, mainly because I don't want to get caught on a new reg I didn't know about. Once reviewed, though, it's just weight in my flightbag or something to read at an airport restaurant if I didn't have the foresight to bring something with me.

Richard said:

Pilots all do have copies readily available. I don't see a great need for a hard copy to be within easy reach anymore although I've accumulated several on the various book shelves.

I have a 2006 on my bookshelf, but rarely use it because the FAA web site is so much more convenient.

On board? Nah. I have only two hands. One's on the cyclic, one's on the collective. Think I'm going to take a hand off of a flight control to hold up the book? :no:

Besides which, helicopters have a habit of getting into unusual attitudes when you're not looking outside :hairraise:

I obtain and memorize the new FARs and AIM each year as soon as it is available from Sporty's. I keep up to date with changes by checking the Federal Register frequently. It helps that each night I select a section of the FARs as the bedtime story for my kids. They particularly like the ending in Part 135. In my spare time I practice lip sync'ng Martha's parts of all the King videos.

Len

I buy a new copy of the FAR/AIM each year, and it really is my bedtime reading. Doesn't even put me to sleep :) I can't see the point to carrying them in the plane.

The internet is all fine and dandy for looking something up if I don't have the book handy, but I don't care to take the desktop to bed with me. Old fashioned books still make easier reading.

Len Lanetti said:
I obtain and memorize the new FARs and AIM each year as soon as it is available from Sporty's. I keep up to date with changes by checking the Federal Register frequently. It helps that each night I select a section of the FARs as the bedtime story for my kids. They particularly like the ending in Part 135. In my spare time I practice lip sync'ng Martha's parts of all the King videos.

Len
Our dogs seem to prefer part 61, Len. Maybe they aspire to become pilots :dunno:

Richard said:

If you would refer any further questions to me regarding this matter to the lawyer duct-taped to D.T.'s aircraft.

Thank You.

When teaching or writing, yes, I want it handy. In the plane, no -- there is nothing in that book that you need in flight that you (or the instructor next to you) shouldn't already know.

Does anyone know of a place where you can search the far and or the aim by keyword.... I mean the entire document? Seems like I have to do this by chapter as that is all that loads at once.

Unless I am aware of major changes, I only buy a new one every other year. I never carry it in the plane.

Well, I guess my statement did imply carrying the book into the cockpit but I assure you that is not what I meant. Yeah, I can see it now, bunch of guys driving around the skies with their nose stuck in a book.

Bob cracks me up. In answer to his question of which helicopter...my answer is, all of them. Tell 'em what he wins, Johnny.

Back