Opinion on IPod Intercom Plugins

M

mrottler

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post...I ran accross the website surfing earlier tonight. It looks like fun!

I am faced with an uuber long cross country flight with two friends in a few weeks for Spring Break (it's going to be a struggle... a minimum of 20 hours in 5 days :p) and was looking into various options regarding methods of plugging in one of our various Ipods (one normal and one Nano) into the aircraft's intercom. I have looked at the normal cord adapter with no soft mute and the way more expensive option of adapters with soft mute installed. Should I spend the extra $70-$150 for just the soft mute or stay with a normal cord? Have any of you found options cheaper than $100 or so?

I know I should be going out and replacing my vintage 2001 Student Pilot headset with something nicer, but it hasn't been a priority since it works just fine :-D.

Thanks in advance!

mrottler said:
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post...I ran accross the website surfing earlier tonight. It looks like fun!

I am faced with an uuber long cross country flight with two friends in a few weeks for Spring Break (it's going to be a struggle... a minimum of 20 hours in 5 days :p) and was looking into various options regarding methods of plugging in one of our various Ipods (one normal and one Nano) into the aircraft's intercom. I have looked at the normal cord adapter with no soft mute and the way more expensive option of adapters with soft mute installed. Should I spend the extra $70-$150 for just the soft mute or stay with a normal cord? Have any of you found options cheaper than $100 or so?

I know I should be going out and replacing my vintage 2001 Student Pilot headset with something nicer, but it hasn't been a priority since it works just fine :-D.

Thanks in advance!

My headset has a plug in for external audio devices and the option to softmute can be turned on or off as desired, so here's my take:

If I am flying, knowing that I'll be talking to ATC most if not all the way, I'll turn softmute on. It gets quite irritating at times because when ATC gets busy, the MP3 player will continually mute, but its better than missing the call.

If I am flying, knowing that I'll not be talking to ATC at all or only for a short amount of time, I'll leave softmute turned off. That way I can sing as loud as I want along with the MP3 player without triggering the mute :rofl:

If I were you, I'd get something that gives the option to softmute or not, and adjust accordingly.

If you're flying IFR or with flight following, the soft mute is nice.

You might see if a portable intercom would work for you as well. Then a buddy or two could share in the music. :)

SkyHog said:
If I am flying, knowing that I'll not be talking to ATC at all or only for a short amount of time, I'll leave softmute turned off. That way I can sing as loud as I want along with the MP3 player without triggering the mute :rofl:
Were you flying over PHX or DVT recently? I could have sworn I heard what sounded like two cats and a rabbit tied up in a bag somewhere overhead. :goofy:

Back