Operational Status of NDBs

rhscholz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Motor Head
I continue to find that NDBs are out of service or have been decommissioned without any current or published NOTAMs.

The NOTAM system recognizes some NDBs (those that are part of the National Air Space), but does not recognize many other NDBs

Does anybody know :

- Which organization within the FAA keeps track of the operational status of NDBs ?
- Is there any way to get this information before a flight ? The NOTAM system clearly does not provide this

I know NDBs are not a high priority navigational aid these days, but I still would like to know this

I continue to find that NDBs are out of service or have been decommissioned without any current or published NOTAMs.

The NOTAM system recognizes some NDBs (those that are part of the National Air Space), but does not recognize many other NDBs

Does anybody know :

- Which organization within the FAA keeps track of the operational status of NDBs ?
- Is there any way to get this information before a flight ? The NOTAM system clearly does not provide this

I know NDBs are not a high priority navigational aid these days, but I still would like to know this

What NDBs have you found out of service without notice?

TVX (Greencastle, Indiana) does not have a current NOTAM and is not in the published NOTAMs; yesterday it was clearly OTS

TVX (Greencastle, Indiana) does not have a current NOTAM and is not in the published NOTAMs; yesterday it was clearly OTS

Did you tell approach you were not receiving it? Is TVX your only example?

Last edited:
Yes, I told ATC, and this is the most recent example. I have encountered this several times in the past and attribute it to the fact that local airport managers are responsible to communicate NDB outages to some FAA agency, but don't always do it.

Yes, I told ATC, and this is the most recent example. I have encountered this several times in the past and attribute it to the fact that local airport managers are responsible to communicate NDB outages to some FAA agency, but don't always do it.

How would the airport manager know it's out? With unmonitored NAVAIDs, pilot reports to ATC are the most likely source for that information.

Times, they are a changing. Technology is moving foward. As they fail they will not be replaced. Everything is going to GPS ADS-B. Rumors are radar will be obsolete by 2020. :dunno:

Back