Operation Raincheck

jdwatson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JDW
My nephew is coming to visit at the end of August. I thought it might be cool for him (and others) to get a tour of the operations and tower at KRDU.

Has anyone ever done a post-9/11 Operation Raincheck ? Any ideas whom I should contact ? FSDO ? RDU Tower/Approach ?

jdwatson said:
My nephew is coming to visit at the end of August. I thought it might be cool for him (and others) to get a tour of the operations and tower at KRDU.

Has anyone ever done a post-9/11 Operation Raincheck ? Any ideas whom I should contact ? FSDO ? RDU Tower/Approach ?

JD,
unless things have changed lately,no dice. I have requested several times over the last 3+ years. I even have a RDU Authority security badge/gate card. I wanted to take my ground school students for a tour, but told rdu has no plans in the near future to allow tours. It is up to the tower chief. Try GSO, I think you might find them more accommodating.
I dont know if it would do any good, but you can "ask a question" on RDU atc's page
http://www.rduatct.jccbi.gov/
Regards,
KD

I'll contact the GSO FSDO, to see where the heck I can get a tour. If not, I'll just take him up for a quick ride. My father and myself are probably the only ones interested in the tour. Nephie is only 10...

Go Navy !

Last edited:
jdwatson said:
Figures... The Ask ATC page gets a "404" error using IIS. Probably hacked by 5th graders. When will people learn. IIS == TARGET. Sorry for the rant. I'll contact the GSO FSDO, to see where the heck I can get a tour. If not, I'll just take him up for a quick ride. My father and myself are probably the only ones interested in the tour. Nephie is only 10...

Go Navy !
Nah. If it was hacked you would get a page with a graphic Avatar of the pimply faced l33t h0x0r.

A 404 just further evidence that the web site was set up by a guy who went to the site for the answers to his MSCE certification tests... on a government contract , no less, or maybe it is an government employee who couldn't qualify for TSA gate security.

404 means the page isn't there. Maybe somebody cleaned up their PC.

I shouldn't have ranted about the 404... I read on the red-board that there was no restrictions on Operation Raincheck visits anymore. I had hoped that RDU was back to giving them. I'd love to put a face with a voice and I'm sure likewise. Great controllers at RDU, I really like working with them.

It's all about the people you know and the friendly controllers. Try giving the Raleigh-Durham ATCT a call at 919/840-5544. That's probably not the direct number, but if you need one, call a local FBO or nearest FSDO and ask for one, they'll likely have one.

Most of the up and down class c facilities (TRACON and Tower in same building/location) are really nice about getting time in both environments (TRACON and ATCT); RDU is an up/down facility in case you didn't know that.

Usually the towers/tracons are pretty accomidating when they have enough staffing (eg: HPN won't let me come up on Saturdays because there are no supervisors, but any other day works), but it's up to the tower chief or air traffic manager.

Some are more strict than others, but it shouldn't be all that difficult. If you need further help, PM/e-mail me and I can see if one of my controller buddies knows someone at RDU.

Good luck,
Jason

P.S. A ride is a great treat anyway! The tour is just icing on top of the cake.

Last edited:
I call the tower supervisor and can get a drop in tour at the "big" airport. If the approach is colocated with the tower, like mine is, you can get a tour of both. Helps to know them in person and there are usually one or two "tower people" at the FAA safety seminars here. At the "small" airport I just buzz the security door and tell them i'm a pilot. Only time I've been turned down is when the staffing is down to 1 person late at night.

Thanks all ! I'll report back what I find.

I also had the idea of combining a flight with the tour, maybe I'll file and fly into KGSO and do the tour there. Thanks again !

For a tower tour at KDVT I contacted the aprt mgr, an employee of the aprt owner. He said he would arrange a tour. Otherwise, without his direct supervision a tour is still off limits.

For a tower tour at KSBP I was able to tour the facilities but only with my buddy a tower controller present. He was off duty at the time of the tour and had agreed to take a group of no more than 4 person (at least 12 yrs old). Otherwise, no tour. It was actually better that only three of us showed up.

For a tour of KSBA--no dice, even though the FAA admin knew me by face and name.

The above are my only attempts at tower tours since 9/11. In each case it sounded like the guys really wanted to accomodate my requests but were binded by federal regs.

Back