Operation Raincheck - Visit to Potomac TRACON

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Sorry folks this will be the most boring post ever on PoA. I'm only going to discuss what I leaned or found of interest, so move right along, nothing to see here.

Potomac TRACON is located in Warrenton, Va and the drive there has wonderful scenery and is in the middle of nowhere. Its a secure facility so you can't just walk up and tour the place.

They are a consolidated facility, taking over for 5 TRACONS at 1/2 the personnel.

They have what I consider, massive computing power with redundant power supplied by 2 counties, have backup batteries and 4 standby generators (they require 1.5 generator capacity to run the entire facility). Maintenance is in staff 24/7.

They maintain 45 days worth of all data and work products, strips, etc. everything that come through, stays there and if necessary can be investigated on-site.

Potomac is responsible for the airspace known as the DC SFRA and FRZ. In addition to providing ATC services, they also provide post 9/11 security services for which they are not fond of. There really are 2 sides and it was portrayed that security services were thrust upon them by "the forces of Doom", and they receive no credit for the aircraft they only provide security services for.

Pilot education on the distinction between ATC vs Security services is not well disseminated to the pilot community but nevertheless, the ATC side is doing whatever they can to help pilots and is not in favor of pilot deviation reporting, but everyone has a job to do.

There will be a change in services as this generation of controllers retire and the "kids" who did not assess through different levels of controller jobs take over.

Some aspects of the job seems like fun. Some of it isn't much fun.

I'm certain there is something interesting that I omitted, but putting the babies to bed has my attention now. Gotta go.

An on the ball Potomac Approach controller saved my bacon several years ago when I experienced engine failure in his sector. I LOVE Potomac Approach. Glad you got to visit.

How did you get a slot? I signed up for the FAA notification emails, but by the time I click through, invariably, they're all taken. :dunno:

I'm certain there is something interesting that I omitted, but putting the babies to bed has my attention now. Gotta go.

How did you get a slot? I signed up for the FAA notification emails, but by the time I click through, invariably, they're all taken. :dunno:

Knew somebody that knew somebody working there that had a private email list.

Being a controller at a somewhat similar stand alone approach, from my perspective, you have a great a great takeaway.

The actual technology behind it all is very impressive and the tech ops people who maintain it never get enough credit. Miles of cable, water fountains, 70's computer technology, modern interphone systems, they do everything well.

And as far as deviation reporting. We as controllers would rather forget it. If you made a mistake and it was a no harm no foul situation and you understood the problem, case closed.

I do take some offense to the "kids" comment, not from you, but through the person who gave the tour. I'm 31 so I'd fit in with that group. I have my instrument ticket so I'm not blindly ignorant. Most of us also know when its time to say get someone else in here who would be better suited or stand up in a bad situation. We deal with so much out of the ordinary or emergency things that by the time you're certified you know enough to know what you don't know or have learned to deal with them.

I went on the Operation Raincheck at the NY TRACON back in September, really great experience. Got to meet a bunch of the controllers who were all great guys many of them pilots too! Toured the radar room and checked out the sector which covered NJ near where I'm usually flying. Some controllers from the ARTCC also stopped in to talk to us, thought the Oceanic stuff was really interesting.

Nice to see some of the faces behind the people we talk to so much and really see first hand how much pride they have and work goes in to keeping all of us safe in the sky.

I got to see the inside of Potomac today. An MH-65 landed on the lawn and we got to chat with the crew. It was useful to learn how the push times at IAD affect GA operations.

Also learned of the Cold War museum and Vint Hill Farms Station.

Last edited:
I've visited the TRACON and most of the guys are pretty good. The TRACON is on the old Vint Hill Army installation and it's right near the Vint Hill winery there (which is located in what was a WWII coded message intercept facility, which is why the Syrah I produced there was called "CODE PURPLE.").

Interesting TRACON story last Friday. I was repositioning my plane from CJR up to Dulles for the Udvar-Hazy Become a Pilot day. I called Potomac and they said it would take about 20 minutes to get me into Dulles as they were in the middle of an arrival push. I asked if there was any particular place they'd like me to hold (back in the day, sometimes a controller would let me spin out on base leg and then call me to dive for the runway when there was a gap). He said no, just anywhere outside the class B.

Well about 15 minutes later they asked me to IDENT. I told them I was circling directly over the TRACON building. There was a chuckle and "RADAR CONTACT DIRECTLY OVER THE TRACON."

Back