Operation Raincheck: Cancelled due to UK scare

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Thanks to the wonderful organizational efforts of our Dave Siciliano, I was looking forward to attending an ATC raincheck program all day tomorrow at Fort Worth Center. Not now... just got this. Dang terrorists...

Gentlemen,

Unfortunately, due to heightened security levels, the Rain Check Program scheduled for Saturday, August 12th, has been cancelled. Once the dust settles, we will see if it is possible to reschedule this session.

At the present time, we do not know whether or not the Rain Check program scheduled for Saturday, August 19th will be able to take place. We were told by our contact at the FAA that they will be re-evaluating the security situation on Monday, so perhaps we will know more early next week.

When we learn something further, we will let you know.

Troy Whistman said:
Thanks to the wonderful organizational efforts of our Dave Siciliano, I was looking forward to attending an ATC raincheck program all day tomorrow at Fort Worth Center. Not now... just got this. Dang terrorists...

I still don't get this. Are they afraid someone will hijack ATC? Does anyone seriously think terrorists would be able to force a controller to run a bunch of planes into each other or the ground? And even if that were possible, I'd think an armed group of terrorists could breach the minimal security at any Center location without a raincheck invitation.

IME, if the terror alert level is orange, they wont let you in. Once it drops back to yellow you can do it. Learned that shortly after my CFI ride when I arranged to visit the tower while another student took his ride. Day before we went down the alert went to orange and i sat in the FBO all day. fun times

lancefisher said:
I still don't get this. Are they afraid someone will hijack ATC? Does anyone seriously think terrorists would be able to force a controller to run a bunch of planes into each other or the ground? And even if that were possible, I'd think an armed group of terrorists could breach the minimal security at any Center location without a raincheck invitation.

They had already taken our names, id, etc., I presume to check backgrounds/watch lists. Had to bring photo id, proof you're a pilot, etc. I don't know what yesterday's events would do to change any 'risk' I might present. I'll leave my Gatorade in the car, I promise!!

Obviously a case of the government trying to show that it is "doing something" about terrorism. Who they are trying to show this to in this case is a mystery.

While it is indeed a gesture amounting to little more than nothing, not having a tour going on to cancel and usher participants out of the room would facilitate smoother operations compared to if something were to happen from terrorists during an ATC tour.

Yes, I heard today they cancelled it (in between flights). I'm sure they will reschedule when things settle.
I'm certain they are just trying to keep the facilities sterile in case there is something they must react to. We would take up the time of some controllers; even though we were pre-screened, that is only on a terrorist list; not a thorough background check. We have the same thing a fire and police stations: they don't want a bunch of non-trained people there is something big happens. Not only might we be in the way, take up resources, etc, but there may be sensitive/confidnetial information that controller might have to deal with and we would not be cleared for it.

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Yes, I heard today they cancelled it (in between flights). I'm sure they will reschedule when things settle.
I'm certain they are just trying to keep the facilities sterile in case there is something they must react to. We would take up the time of some controllers; even though we were pre-screened, that is only on a terrorist list; not a thorough background check. We have the same thing a fire and police stations: they don't want a bunch of non-trained people there is something big happens. Not only might we be in the way, take up resources, etc, but there may be sensitive/confidnetial information that controller might have to deal with and we would not be cleared for it.

Best,

Dave

Now that's the most rational explanation of why they lock things down that way that I've heard... it's not about keeping us out, thinking we're a threat, it's a matter of us not getting in their way if something does happen during a time of heightened alert levels.

Well, we're off to Fort Worth Center today for a full day of working with the folks there so us mere pilots can understand how the 'controllers' do things better. We'll bring up some of the comments on the board here about filing direct, etc.

Best,

Dave

Dave:

Is there to be a second day, deferred? Like, maybe, when I can go?

Back