Operation: Fly, Go Fly America is LIVE

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
The Key Word is.....

Operation: Fly

Although, "Go Fly America" is still acceptable as a key phrase as well.

Get out and start claiming, guys!

http://www.operationfly.com

If you want to download a pre-made claim poster to hold in your pictures, you can download it at http://www.operationfly.com/claim.pdf

If you have any problems with the site, or there is an airport that has wrong or outdated information attached, please log a ticket using the link at the footer of each page. That will get our attention most quickly.

Last edited:
Wheels up !
Oh right, it's a Dakota, the wheels dont go up.
Looking forward to mining the claims.

There is a known issue that will be resolved this afternoon with the View Airports by State page, where neither the "Submit Claim" or the "View Airports" links are working. I apologize for this. It was caused by a last minute change to a database schema, and I neglected to update this page to match the change.

Problem solved.

Last edited:
Is this new?

The picture should have a piece of paper visible that shows the date claimed, your name, and the identifier.

Oooh... I have another suggestion.

Checkboxes (and associated boolean database fields) for things like restaurant on field (or within walking distance), camping on field, etc. and then make those things searchable as well.

Also, it'd be nice to be able to log a "visit" without the picture - I'd love to share info for lots of airports that I haven't claimed (or taken a picture for) but that I've visited and found neat stuff on or near the field.

Having some problems with the site - I can get to a "Submit Claim" page for an airport, but after filling out the form, it then takes me to a page where it says "You must fill out this form" and I have to enter everything I already had entered, plus add the airport ID at the top of the page.

So, clicking the main "Submit Claim" and typing in the airport ID appears to work, but searching for the airport first and then clicking "Submit Claim" doesn't. Probably related to the issue Nick said he's fixing this afternoon?

I did not get that issue using Chrome when beta testing.

I did not get that issue using Chrome when beta testing.

I'm also using Chrome. Hmmm.

Also, after I submitted the latest claim (using the main "Submit Claim" link in the header), it sent the claim but it also logged me out. Weird.

I see 1Q5 and 7W1 in the pendings. Are these the problem airports?

I see 1Q5 and 7W1 in the pendings. Are these the problem airports?

It was with 7W1 that I was initially having problems - But I just went ahead and claimed it using the Submit Claim link in the header.

One more thing: After you approved the claims, I got the e-mail but it has some sort of numeric ID of the airport instead of its name or identifier, ie "Thank you for claiming 8637."

After Nick fixes whatever it was he was gonna fix, I'll try the airport-specific claim link again, if I have any left.

Whatever you just did fixed the auto-logout when submitting a claim - When I submitted the claim for KRDK just now I did not get logged out (first one that I haven't been logged out on).

One more bug: I'm trying to do a claim for Pearce Ferry, AZ (L25) but when I type in L25 and select it from the list that appears, it changes the text to say "Submit claim for Spratling Field (AL25)" - Is it just an issue with that text field, or is it going to submit a claim for the wrong airport?

EDIT: If you type in a series of characters like "D17" and more than one airport ID comes up, the text that shows up is always for the first airport in the list. Since Westwinds is in the database as "KD17" I just had to go back and type "KD17" (otherwise it'll give me CD17). For Pearce Ferry (L25), I can't eliminate the other items in the list so it always shows up as AL25.

(This is why I'm a good beta tester. I can break anything. :rofl:)

Last edited:
Is this new?

The picture should have a piece of paper visible that shows the date claimed, your name, and the identifier.

Oops! That was always there, but not enforced. I'll remove that as well. That is not one of the rules

One more bug: I'm trying to do a claim for Pearce Ferry, AZ (L25) but when I type in L25 and select it from the list that appears, it changes the text to say "Submit claim for Spratling Field (AL25)" - Is it just an issue with that text field, or is it going to submit a claim for the wrong airport?

EDIT: If you type in a series of characters like "D17" and more than one airport ID comes up, the text that shows up is always for the first airport in the list. Since Westwinds is in the database as "KD17" I just had to go back and type "KD17" (otherwise it'll give me CD17). For Pearce Ferry (L25), I can't eliminate the other items in the list so it always shows up as AL25.

(This is why I'm a good beta tester. I can break anything. :rofl:)

Bah! Gonna be a busy evening for me! Good finds, all of these.

The core of the problem comes from my not-so-gentle handling of 4 digit IDs vs. 3 digit IDs. If you type in, for example, BOS vs. KBOS, I tried to make them map to the same place, and that seems to have played hell on things.

Limiting our test area to Alaska and Hawaii probably make it difficult to detect these problems.

FYI - if you are having problems, you can log a ticket using the link at the bottom of the page on OperationFly.com (or go to http://www.operationfly.com/helpdesk). This allows us to keep tickets prioritized. Using POA works also, but tend to muddy up the prioritization as I have to come in here and seach for the issues.

I'll see if I can come up with a cleaner way to deal with the airport IDs tonight.

Having some problems with the site - I can get to a "Submit Claim" page for an airport, but after filling out the form, it then takes me to a page where it says "You must fill out this form" and I have to enter everything I already had entered, plus add the airport ID at the top of the page.

So, clicking the main "Submit Claim" and typing in the airport ID appears to work, but searching for the airport first and then clicking "Submit Claim" doesn't. Probably related to the issue Nick said he's fixing this afternoon?

Kent, I can't duplicate this issue. I'll bet it is an issue with the link from a specific page. Can you give me the exact steps you went through to get this issue to appear?

Kent, I can't duplicate this issue. I'll bet it is an issue with the link from a specific page. Can you give me the exact steps you went through to get this issue to appear?

1) Go to the site.
2) Log in
3) Click the "reports" link.
4) Choose a state and show list
5) Click the "Submit Claim" link next to an airport
6) Submit the form. It goes to http://www.operationfly.com/airports/submitClaim where you get a new form that now includes the Airport ID field, and has a yellow bar saying "You must complete this form". I'm guessing the Airport ID isn't being properly inserted into the form submission when you click the airport-specific "submit claim" link.

I'm guessing the Airport ID isn't being properly inserted into the form submission when you click the airport-specific "submit claim" link.

Yup... That's it. Looked in the code for the claim submission page, arrived at via two methods:

1) Search for airports and click "Submit Claim" directly from the search results list, and
2) Search for airports and click the airport ID to go to its page, and then click the "Submit Claim" button from the airport page.

(1) takes you to operationfly.com/airports/submitClaim/<airportID>/<airporttoken>, while
(2) takes you to operationfly.com/airports/submitClaim/<airporttoken>

The top of the form for (1) simply says "Submit Claim" while the top of the form for (2) says "Submit Claim (<airportID>)".

In addition, on (2) the hidden form fields for airportID and airport contain the airport identifier and the airportToken contains a number (21447 in the case of L25), while on (1) the airportID and airport fields are showing value="" and the airportToken field contains the airport ID.

So... The one that has both the airportID and airportToken in the URL does NOT properly populate the fields, while the one that has only the airportToken in the URL works correctly.

1) Go to the site.
2) Log in
3) Click the "reports" link.
4) Choose a state and show list
5) Click the "Submit Claim" link next to an airport
6) Submit the form. It goes to http://www.operationfly.com/airports/submitClaim where you get a new form that now includes the Airport ID field, and has a yellow bar saying "You must complete this form". I'm guessing the Airport ID isn't being properly inserted into the form submission when you click the airport-specific "submit claim" link.
Resolved

Thanks for the direction :) Made it obvious once I found the page.

Yup... That's it. Looked in the code for the claim submission page, arrived at via two methods:

1) Search for airports and click "Submit Claim" directly from the search results list, and
2) Search for airports and click the airport ID to go to its page, and then click the "Submit Claim" button from the airport page.

(1) takes you to operationfly.com/airports/submitClaim/<airportID>/<airporttoken>, while
(2) takes you to operationfly.com/airports/submitClaim/<airporttoken>

The top of the form for (1) simply says "Submit Claim" while the top of the form for (2) says "Submit Claim (<airportID>)".

In addition, on (2) the hidden form fields for airportID and airport contain the airport identifier and the airportToken contains a number (21447 in the case of L25), while on (1) the airportID and airport fields are showing value="" and the airportToken field contains the airport ID.

So... The one that has both the airportID and airportToken in the URL does NOT properly populate the fields, while the one that has only the airportToken in the URL works correctly.
Yep. That's exactly the issue. I changed a few things right before we went live, and that was one of them, only using one parameter instead of both, because it was extraneous. Blegh, rookie mistake (most of these were).

You should now be able to claim L25, if you want. The problem is not yet solved, until I remove all of the erroneous "K" ids like K0F4. That's the next thing.

Chris's look at the 4 digit id issue will be massively welcome, as I spent 2 weeks coming up with the ticky tack solution I put in place now.

Hmm, might be able to claim one next week with the blimp. We'll have to see if somebody sneaks in real quick, but otherwise, I might get one.

Claiming Geneseo tomorrow, and St Marys Wednesday :)

I know this doesn't count, but I did visit Chico airport on my long solo cross country yesterday and this guy in a golf cart drove me to the FBO where I bought a soda and if they had a current one in stock, I would have bought a new / current AFD. I wanted to use the bathroom and thought there was a woman in there before I turned the light on - she scared me in the dark and was staring at me - ! So I turned on the light and it was just the Princess and R2D2.

Priceless.

Look at this bathroom:

5928152033_8363e77875.jpg

Last edited:
D52 claimed, awaiting confirmation. I have a couple more I want to claim in the area as well :)

Suggestion:

Random picture of claimed airports on the main page

There's still 10 days left.... :D

Crap are we only doing it for July? I musta missed that part. Gotta get in the air!

We need to chain Barb's plane down, or I'm not gonna get to claim any airports. I was planning KSTK for the last weekend of the month and I just looked and Barb got it 4 days ago :rofl:.

Crap are we only doing it for July? I musta missed that part. Gotta get in the air!

No no! 10 days left in July for someone else to move into the top 3!

We need to chain Barb's plane down, or I'm not gonna get to claim any airports. I was planning KSTK for the last weekend of the month and I just looked and Barb got it 4 days ago :rofl:.

Barb is very good at this challenge!

No no! 10 days left in July for someone else to move into the top 3!

Oh ok. That's better. We've got vacation plans for the end of the summer and I hoped to grab some airports then. Don't think I'll make top 3 for July though.

Barb is very good at this challenge!

I don't know, I think I've lost my touch. I went out and landed at about 8 airports then got to work on trying to claim them. But Todd Wolfley had just got his claims in for all of them. I only got to claim his home airport. It was a good thing though, his writeups were better than mine would have been! :D

Maybe I'll head north to Montana and South Dakota. I'll have an hour head start that way. :idea:

Barb

Back