OpenAI's GPT-3 Chatbot meets aviation

ArrowFlyer86

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
The Little Arrow That Could
If you haven't heard of the new OpenAI GPT-3 chatbot, I recommend checking it out (you can google that name and find it). It's all the rave in tech-news this week, and as a search/information-retrieval geek I find it particularly interesting. It's a lot of fun and it's surprisingly capable in answering questions. Free to use.

I've submitted a number of aviation-esque questions and it's got a reasonably impressive database behind it for being such a general purpose chatbot. It's also shown an ability to integrate new information, even though it claims that it can't. Though it's responses can be lengthy and I've experienced more than a few answers built on questionable data and logic.

Unfortunately it has punted the more divisive aviation questions and essentially asked us to figure it out ourselves (ROP/LOP or High v Low wing). It would appear our new robot overlords are doing little to help us resolve perennial sources of conflict in the community, and prefer that we attack one another instead and thin the herd before they finally go full Skynet and take us over.

Here's a sample of a few...

Rich or Lean of Peak:
upload_2022-12-4_16-51-29.png

High vs Low Wing:
upload_2022-12-4_16-50-50.png

Fixed vs Retractable gear:
I think the main takeaway here is that if you're not flying a trainer or a glider... Maybe rethink that fixed gear :rolleyes:

upload_2022-12-4_16-58-42.png

Cirrus Parachutes - seems to have a pretty good understanding of why they're used and how they're received.
upload_2022-12-4_16-56-37.png

Challenge accepted, robot: :mad:
upload_2022-12-4_17-2-46.png

And just for fun... Abraham Lincoln.
I'ma go out on a limb and say theatre management comping Honest Abe's tix wouldn't have moved the needle in Lincoln's cost/benefit analysis.
upload_2022-12-4_17-11-9.png

Anyone got their own to share?

Back