Open pilot clause what does your say?

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
I may have an opportunity to fly someones 172 for reasonable reimbursement of cost. I have a non-owned policy so am good there.

A recent quote I got for a TW plane was 300TT 100TW and 10 MM. Can these numbers be negotiated with the insurance company? Does the type of plane make a difference?

I suppose I could always pay the guy the difference to be named on the policy.

Probably better if you just get on the other pilots policy ,as a named pilot. You can always negotiate,you won’t want the numbers the insurance company gives you. All it takes is money.

My Navion policy says 5 hours in type and 25 hours retract time. I asked the former U-2 pilot who wanted to fly if it counted as retract time when the wheels fall off your plane.

Remember the open pilot clause gives the owner of the policy coverage if you screw up. It does not give YOU coverage. Big difference.

I have a non-owned policy with enough hull to cover his airplane if I screw up.

My open pilot clause sez that you are screwed...

Depends, my amphib doesn't even have a open pilot policy, wheels it's like 200ish TT and 50tw I think. I'm not letting enough people joy ride my plane to pay attention to the open pilot stuff.

Also agree, if you have a frequent flyer, just add him to the policy, much cleaner.

Last edited:
Remember the open pilot clause gives the owner of the policy coverage if you screw up. It does not give YOU coverage. Big difference.

Everyone should ask their broker this question. Mine says my open pilot warranty is not meant to automatically subrogate the "open pilot" in the event of a claim. The intention is to cover the open pilot. Only in cases of extreme negligence would they subrogate according my broker. Being named does guarantee more protection though.

Everyone should ask their broker this question. Mine says my open pilot warranty is not meant to automatically subrogate the "open pilot" in the event of a claim. The intention is to cover the open pilot. Only in cases of extreme negligence would they subrogate according my broker. Being named does guarantee more protection though.
Exactly. In my experience delivering airplanes to new owners, the insurance policies are all over the map. Even for similar aircraft types. You need to know the specific policy in question.

Mine used to say something like 250 TT, 50 retract, 10 MM. Then I moved, changed insurance, etc. Now it's 750 TT, 250 Retract, 25 MM. Funny, though, I didn't meet the Open Pilot quals for my first couple of years of ownership; with the change back in '14, I didn't meet them for a couple of years again . . . . .

Mine used to say something like 250 TT, 50 retract, 10 MM. Then I moved, changed insurance, etc. Now it's 750 TT, 250 Retract, 25 MM. Funny, though, I didn't meet the Open Pilot quals for my first couple of years of ownership; with the change back in '14, I didn't meet them for a couple of years again . . . . .

Reminds me of of growing up in Connecticut when they kept bumping up the drinking age one year at a time. :)

Reminds me of of growing up in Connecticut when they kept bumping up the drinking age one year at a time. :)

I came of age in GA, NC, TN and AL, which were a glorious mix of different ages for everything from driving to beer to booze to cigarettes. And they all rose just as I became legal . . . The only thing consistent was voting and giving blood, both at 18.

1000hrs TT, 250 MM.

It's the insurances way of saying that they dont want anyone else to fly our plane.

1000hrs TT, 250 MM.

It's the insurances way of saying that they dont want anyone else to fly our plane.

Insurance companies are very smart. Time in type and time in a particular aircraft are some of the biggest determinants of safety, and even in GA same types can have significant differences in avionics, quirks etc.

When I was arranging to enter into a non-equity partnership with a friend, we asked that question of her broker, specifically about named pilot vs named insured. The answer was the same - it was intended to protect the named pilot as well, and subrogation wouldn't happen except in cases of extreme negligence.

YMMV of course...

That reminds me of one ferry job I did where I (with zero time in type) met the open pilot warranty, but the new owner needed something like 5 hours in type and a CFI signoff before he could fly it.

When I was arranging to enter into a non-equity partnership with a friend, we asked that question of her broker, specifically about named pilot vs named insured. The answer was the same - it was intended to protect the named pilot as well, and subrogation wouldn't happen except in cases of extreme negligence.

YMMV of course...

In my state, by public policy, the insurance carrier cannot subrogate against its insured. It matters not if they are a named insured, or an additional insured, or whether the accident was extreme negligence, or gross negligence. I suspect that is pretty universally true amongst the 50 states. But I cannot guarantee that its the same in every state.

The last guy I let fly my plane was Snowbird 11. We let him fly formation with Snowbird 10 in another Navion. We then let them practice one landing and made them fly the Ripon transition and land at Oshkosh.
969c8a37-6a13-4191-8b39-d5da0a592460

Back