Open Discussion Forum

Becky

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Becky
PilotSpin doesn't close or lock threads.

Whatever your political persuasion, if you thoughtfully post, you'll get thoughtful replies.

If you insist on labeling, name-calling, stereotyping, trying to shut down a discussion with hateful noise, or other such behaviors, you'll just get ignored, as well you should.

If you show hypocrisy or narrow-mindedness, you may be called out, as will be the case if your arguments don't hold up and can be refuted.

The exchange of varying viewpoints on sensitive topics drew me to SZ and keeps me thinking about PilotSpin, and posting there, and getting thoughtful replies, as well as humor and good-natured pokes and asides that keep me, as SZ used to do, thinking about the world in a broader and more intellectually rigorous way.

There's also aviation discussion, science, religion, and of course, the Most Interesting Election in American History.

POA mods could free up some of their time by putting a sticky up on POA directing people to PilotSpin for controversial topics, unless the mods enjoy periodically having to huddle to decide what's okay and what isn't. At PilotSpin, people decide that for themselves.

With respect to POA and PilotSpin both, for their various strengths, which combine to make a diverse and robust community of aviation minds addressing topics across the spectrum of life,

Becky

And dammit, people LIKE me!

carnak.jpg

Carnac says...

This thread is not long for this world.

What confuses me is if you all want to talk about topics totally unrelated to aviation, why get on an aviation forum to do it? Would you get on a religious forum to discuss aviation?

There are plenty of specialized forums for those topics. Just the question recently about wanting to know a political forum to discuss the presidential race, I googled political forums and a whole mess of sites came up.

What confuses me is if you all want to talk about topics totally unrelated to aviation, why get on an aviation forum to do it? Would you get on a religious forum to discuss aviation?

There are plenty of specialized forums for those topics. Just the question recently about wanting to know a political forum to discuss the presidential race, I googled political forums and a whole mess of sites came up.

The magic is in the pre-screening. Pilots have to have a certain level of intelligence, and a meaningful attachment to the real world.

Every forum I have ever been on that's geared toward whatever subject there are numerous discussions not about whatever subject. As I have met people in person from every forum I've been a part of, it's not about WHAT I am talking about, but WHO I am discussing it with.

Every forum I have ever been on that's geared toward whatever subject there are numerous discussions not about whatever subject. As I have met people in person from every forum I've been a part of, it's not about WHAT I am talking about, but WHO I am discussing it with.

That's sweet. I think that's his way of saying he likes us.

The magic is in the pre-screening. Pilots have to have a certain level of intelligence, and a meaningful attachment to the real world.

Sure we have a certain level of intelligence and meaningful attachment to the real world. Doesn't mean that if we stick to aviation on here we're not intelligent. Just means that when I want to talk about sensitive subjects, I do it on forums that host said subjects.

Ever heard anyone argue politics on forums and they actually get the other party to adopt their view point? Like Rich said in the other thread, it's not about discussing politics anymore, it's just arguing to prove someone wrong. Politics have become "my team vs your team." Because of that, I'm sure the moderators understand that nothing productive can happen from those "discussions" and they do nothing to further the purpose of POA.

To help alleviate your confusion...

...maybe because some like to discuss topics other than aviation with a group of folks they already know.

An analogy is going to an EAA breakfast, and having somebody enforcing a no discussion of politics/religion policy.

Seems limiting, is all.

You never had to. It was "opt in".

And unless he's a banned user under a new name he would have never been "subjected" to it.

So, shall we start a pool on who it is?

To help alleviate your confusion...

...maybe because some like to discuss topics other than aviation with a group of folks they already know.

An analogy is going to an EAA breakfast, and having somebody enforcing a no discussion of politics/religion policy.

Seems limiting, is all.

Really if I did go to an EAA breakfast, I'd expect the conversation to center around aviation. Topics that can sometimes result in adolescent name calling, have no business in that arena.

It's like this MODAERO thing that's coming up soon in TX. Some of their arguments for having it have nothing to do with why I attend aviation functions. They bring up Oshkosh and the older crowd, poor food and beverage selection and bad, outdated bands. When I go to Oshkosh, I don't care about listening to the latest bands while eating fine cuisine with people my age, race, sex or what have you. I go there to see the largest gathering of aircraft & aviation displays in the world.

A POA member brought up a thread months ago about people being a "one trick pony" on here. It has nothing to do with that. It's just sticking to the format that we have here. Deviating from the format slightly isn't bad but when you have a thread that 1. has absolutely nothing to do with aviation and 2. will most likely end in name calling, there's no point in having it on POA.

POA is soooo MySpace. :rolleyes:

And Pancakes! And...bacon.
Our chapter serves ham. The really good kind of ham, not the rubbery kind. If someone were to ask why they were not getting a rubbery slice of formed pork-y pieces and flavored parts, I'd have to tell them to talk about that somewhere else. There are plenty of places to talk about fake ham.:mad:

Abuse, name-calling, and bullying have gone away along with the Spin Zone. I don't miss any of those.

I think everyone is still learning how to USE the board which has detracted from the usual antics. Those people who can't figure out how to get around the new interface are now united against a common cause and not targeting posters, possibly :)

Abuse, name-calling, and bullying have gone away along with the Spin Zone. I don't miss any of those.

There are still a couple of those folks here, they just don't get as much ammunition as they would like to get anymore to prove to themselves that they are real men. Plus most of us here find them boring.

And yes, it is refreshing to not have to put up with all the crap from a handful of folks that take pleasure in cyber bullying.

Maybe you should try and stay on topic and post this non-avation material over on www.forumprotocol.com/hyprocrite

Its a dead link.
That's racist! You have a bias against dead things! It's not dead, it just doesn't have much life. That's all.

(Was that enough bullying abuse to satisfy?)

Back