Oops!

ateamer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ateamer
Just a reminder to check TFRs before you fly. I just watched an F-15 intercept a Stearman during a Presidential TFR. The TFR is centered on SJC (San Jose), and over here in Santa Cruz is well within the boundaries.

I heard the Eagle, next heard and saw the yellow Stearman (certainly from WVI - Watsonville) cruising low and slow along the coast, then saw the intercept from about a mile away. Turned on the handheld and heard the Eagle driver calling on guard, but no response. The Stearman did get the idea and I last saw them headed back toward WVI with the F-15 in high alpha leading the way.

I suspect that if you want some Stearman time, there is one at WVI that might otherwise be sitting idle for some time to come.

Internet or LockMart, it's pretty easy to find the TFRs.

Gee wasn't it simpler when the intercept happened without the TFR, and the Eagle driver radioed back, "Not a threat" to their Command?

This system is so stupid.

That would no doubt be the same Stearman that uses the runway intersecting the runway that the other six people in the patterns are using?

Boy -- I'm on the fence about how I feel about this one.

This one makes sense. That was a non-US-military warbird flying toward The President.

Just a reminder to check TFRs before you fly. I just watched an F-15 intercept a Stearman during a Presidential TFR. The TFR is centered on SJC (San Jose), and over here in Santa Cruz is well within the boundaries.

I heard the Eagle, next heard and saw the yellow Stearman (certainly from WVI - Watsonville) cruising low and slow along the coast, then saw the intercept from about a mile away. Turned on the handheld and heard the Eagle driver calling on guard, but no response. The Stearman did get the idea and I last saw them headed back toward WVI with the F-15 in high alpha leading the way.

I suspect that if you want some Stearman time, there is one at WVI that might otherwise be sitting idle for some time to come.

Internet or LockMart, it's pretty easy to find the TFRs.

Good to see more local pilots on here! I fly out of Petaluma, but Santa Cruz is not that far.

That would no doubt be the same Stearman that uses the runway intersecting the runway that the other six people in the patterns are using?

Boy -- I'm on the fence about how I feel about this one.

I don't know why WVI pilots are so insistent on using rwy 20 regardless of the wind. I've seen it straight down 8 or 26 at 10+ knots and people are still taking 20. Yes, sure, you can handle the crosswind, but I am damn well going to use 8/26 if that's what's favored.

(never flown a Stearman)

I imagine the Stearman did not have a transponder (not that it is required to) which meant all ATC had was a primary return. Given the TFR, it left no option other than sending someone to intercept.

Alternatively, call it a "Heritage Flight."

I don't know why WVI pilots are so insistent on using rwy 20 regardless of the wind. I've seen it straight down 8 or 26 at 10+ knots and people are still taking 20. Yes, sure, you can handle the crosswind, but I am damn well going to use 8/26 if that's what's favored.

(never flown a Stearman)

Maybe they like the crosswind practice.

Maybe they like the crosswind practice.

Very generous suggestion. I think it's because the place is generally a hornet's nest with always a couple people in the pattern, which makes runway changes challenging to orchestrate. Then there's the people doing instrument approaches making calls as if the VFR traffic in the pattern knows what the VOR approach is or where the local waypoints were :nono:

That field really needs a tower.

(Really tasty Mexican food on the field though.)

I suspect a Stearman flying 80 kts would be the weapon of choice for a savvy terrorist looking to get the President. Good call.

you know

it boils down that the stearman pilot did not properly pre-flight (plan)

he or she was in the wrong

its not a complicated issue so I am glad to see another dumb ass pilot get grounded

Very generous suggestion. I think it's because the place is generally a hornet's nest with always a couple people in the pattern, which makes runway changes challenging to orchestrate. Then there's the people doing instrument approaches making calls as if the VFR traffic in the pattern knows what the VOR approach is or where the local waypoints were :nono:

That field really needs a tower.

(Really tasty Mexican food on the field though.)
I do agree with WVI needing a tower, been saying for years. I have noticed, though, that lately (or maybe it's always been and I've just finally realized it) that pilots are working well together in the pattern. I'd still rather have a tower. SNS and MRY are not as busy as WVI and they are towered.

Around here, they keep a patrol car on the local airports to stop aircraft before they can depart when the TFR is active.

Last year when POTUS was in town, the pilots sitting on the ramp in the BlackHawk told us, when they leave, we could start flying.

you know

it boils down that the stearman pilot did not properly pre-flight (plan)

he or she was in the wrong

its not a complicated issue so I am glad to see another dumb ass pilot get grounded

That's a really lousy attitude. Stomp a fellow pilot? Not cool.
Poor guy just wanted to fly a few minutes along the coast in an open cockpit. Real threat! So now you have to thoroughly preflight a simple pleasure ride around your own area - disgusting. Going the way of Europe and full control of everything. Innocent 'pursuit of happiness' - gone the way of the DoDo bird.
Again, disgusting! :nono:

While a Stearman isn't a threat, and we've had plenty of discussion about Presidential TFR's...it's really not that hard to take a quick peek at the TFRs before you fire the engine. I can pull them up on my BlackBerry in a matter of seconds. There isn't much excuse for violating a Presidential TFR. They're put up way in advance and widely disseminated.

He should be limited to one TFR per quarter. Stay home and do some work.

Fifteen seconds on the Droid/iPhone/PC or a 45-second phone call is all it takes.

Unless it's a college football stadium TFR, or NASCAR TFR, then you're screwed... as pointed out in another thread.

Flight Service nor any of their computers will know anything about it.

No, but a presidential TFR is a big deal, and a phone call away. The guy didn't do his due diligence. Hopefully they won't slam him too hard.

That's a really lousy attitude. Stomp a fellow pilot? Not cool.
Poor guy just wanted to fly a few minutes along the coast in an open cockpit. Real threat! So now you have to thoroughly preflight a simple pleasure ride around your own area - disgusting. Going the way of Europe and full control of everything. Innocent 'pursuit of happiness' - gone the way of the DoDo bird.
Again, disgusting! :nono:

I think it is disgusting and dangerous to not take a few seconds to check.

Back