Oops Mooney forgot to check TFRs

Useless TFR, but how can someone be a pilot this long into having TFRs and not know about them? What else is he that clueless or complacent about?

Considering that we are warned about the dangers of wake turbulence, is it really a good idea to do this? I recall a Velocity at Orlando Executive that crashed after getting caught in wake turbulence at from a 737 on approach to MCO. I would think that an F-35 passing in front of you could create some... excitement.

Considering that we are warned about the dangers of wake turbulence, is it really a good idea to do this? I recall a Velocity at Orlando Executive that crashed after getting caught in wake turbulence at from a 737 on approach to MCO. I would think that an F-35 passing in front of you could create some... excitement.
Since they have ignored all other previous means to keep themselves out of the TFR, isn't a little "excitement" exactly what the plan is?

I would think the next step might be significantly more exciting.

Useless TFR, but how can someone be a pilot this long into having TFRs and not know about them? What else is he that clueless or complacent about?
And the article said that he was just one of three violators that day.
o_O

Since they have ignored all other previous means to keep themselves out of the TFR, isn't a little "excitement" exactly what the plan is?

I would think the next step might be significantly more exciting.
Going directly across clean-configuration wake turbulence at cruise speed should be quite a bit less interesting than same direction at low speed following a plane at high AOA, dirty, that is several times the weight of an F-35.

I’m amazed people in my area still get nailed just about every weekend there is one in southern PA. When on the radios it’s all
You hear people asking about or being told
About.

... how can someone be a pilot this long into having TFRs and not know about them? What else is he that clueless or complacent about?
Indeed, and that is what the FAA is about to find out...

Nowadays, it literally takes two minutes to get a briefing on your cell phone. Or less just to check for TFRs. There's just no excuse anymore for taking off without a briefing, regardless of how short the flight may be.

Nowadays, it literally takes two minutes to get a briefing on your cell phone. Or less just to check for TFRs. There's just no excuse anymore for taking off without a briefing, regardless of how short the flight may be.
I spent 3 days on North Fox Island. There's no cell service, no land lines, no power. How was I supposed to know there wasn't a 9/11 incident, or a VIP TFR back on the mainland?

If you go to the phone on the wall in the pilots planning room, and push the speed dial for briefer, you will get a weather briefing, no TFR's. If you then file a flight plan that offends the TFR's, they have no liability if they do not tell you of the TFR's. You have to ask for NOTAMS, or whatever they are now, and then they will advise that there are TFR's in your area, if they are near your route. Change your mind and go to a different airport, you may violate a TFR they did not mention.

I flew out for lunch, could not come back, a TFR sprang up while I ate. No warning before I went, security does not allow advance knowledge of the presidents plans to fly. Then they advertise to every body just where he is, as long as he is there.

I flew out for lunch, could not come back, a TFR sprang up while I ate. No warning before I went, security does not allow advance knowledge of the presidents plans to fly. Then they advertise to every body just where he is, as long as he is there.
The last one I dealt with (during a different administration, so things might have changed) had the NOTAM out at least the day before. I remember because I had it printed out prior to the trip, told my copilot it would be nearby but not a problem for our return the next day, and the first time that idiot chose to look at it was halfway home, where he misread it and started arguing that we couldn’t go home. :rolleyes:

College Park Maryland has its own special niche in the TFR world. It is not like the political rallies and fundraising trips, with the public participating. It is a quick trip to NSA by helicopter instead of limo. Planned for 3 hours, stayed all day.

Or a similar trip to Camp David. Suddenly, they go, and we stop.

Every one today must have a Garmin or equivalent so the TFR pops up while you are in midair, usually 30 minutes before liftoff of Marine One.

I spent 3 days on North Fox Island. There's no cell service, no land lines, no power. How was I supposed to know there wasn't a 9/11 incident, or a VIP TFR back on the mainland?
ADS-B In?

I wonder what 9/11 would have looked like on an ADS-B In device if it had existed back then?

No warning before I went, security does not allow advance knowledge of the presidents plans to fly. Then they advertise to every body just where he is, as long as he is there.
POTUS is going to Camp David this weekend and will be in New York on Monday. Pretty public info. FAA sends out Presidential TFR's three days in advance usually. Not the best kept secret on the planet. Only time it's kept a big secret is if he goes somewhere hot like Iraq.

Some things have changed for the better. My flight out was more than 10 years ago, and no electronic source was used. Just a regular land line to FSS.

Back then it was all a big secret. If you asked why your IFR flight plan had not come down, they simply said it was on hold in the system. When will it be available? We do not know.

Then, Airforce one passes over the house, and in 30 minutes, the flight plan magically appears, I can go to the airport and depart. They do not call you, you keep calling until the plan appears For an 8 hour cross country, receiving your flight plan at home, at 10 AM, is not very satisfying. The destination grass field has no lights.

In the more electronic world, I would guess the iPad would report the arrival of the flight plan.

The NSA event, for some reason, the Secret Service decided the helicopter would be safer than the public roads, and Obama went with them. North east Washington is full of crime................

Some things have changed for the better. My flight out was more than 10 years ago, and no electronic source was used. Just a regular land line to FSS.

Back then it was all a big secret. If you asked why your IFR flight plan had not come down, they simply said it was on hold in the system. When will it be available? We do not know.

Then, Airforce one passes over the house, and in 30 minutes, the flight plan magically appears, I can go to the airport and depart. They do not call you, you keep calling until the plan appears For an 8 hour cross country, receiving your flight plan at home, at 10 AM, is not very satisfying. The destination grass field has no lights.

In the more electronic world, I would guess the iPad would report the arrival of the flight plan.

The NSA event, for some reason, the Secret Service decided the helicopter would be safer than the public roads, and Obama went with them. North east Washington is full of crime................
A helo flight is likely a lot less headache and more efficient than a motorcade. Coordinating a motorcade is a big deal and takes a lot of personnel.

ADS-B In?

I wonder what 9/11 would have looked like on an ADS-B In device if it had existed back then?

If the TFR is over CVX (unlikely, but you never know) I'm busted before I get any ADS-B in.

Ok my post got canned because I suggested that basically unlimited presidential TFRs ( and their ground equivalents ) are a bad idea - it was too religious/political they say ..

If the TFR is over CVX (unlikely, but you never know) I'm busted before I get any ADS-B in.
VCOA until you get a feed, then emergency descent back down if it comes up red. You'll be back on the ground before the fighters can scramble.
"I was just taxiing to reposition, officer" :)

You don’t turn your transponder on anyway, what are you worried about? :)

(Unless you’re skywriting). :)

Actually...I get ADS-B in, on the ground, from my plane, at the very west end of the North Fox strip...just saying.
I also get a cell signal by standing on the picnic table on the dune. But obviously, even if you are an accomplished sprinter, that's still 30+ minutes before takeoff just to get back to your plane!
Then there are those with Sat phones.

Last edited:
Take a battery operated AM radio for the 911 event. WTCM is an AM radio station broadcasting in Traverse City, Michigan, operating on 580 kHz. WTCM has a news/talk format.

Then Lansing radio 122.2 after take off for other TFRs.

Last edited:
Back