Only in Iowa..

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Couldn't resist posting this headline:

Road Kill Triggers 3 Accidents Involving 7 Cars On I-80

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Police said a 16-year-old boy who was traveling with his mother Saturday swerved to avoid some road kill, lost control of his vehicle, rolled it and caused three accidents involving seven cars.As authorities were responding to the accident in the westbound lanes of Interstate 80 near the Highway 65 bypass, drivers in the eastbound lanes slowed down to watch."They were rubbernecking," a state trooper said. Four of the "rubbernecking" drivers collided with each other, but troopers said the accidents didn't end there. In the westbound lanes, drivers were slowing down to watch the four-car pileup. Two of those drivers collided, too.In all, seven cars were damaged and six drivers were cited with minor traffic violations. The teenager was not cited.The boy, his mother and two other drivers were taken to local hospitals with minor injuries.Traffic already congested with Iowa State Fair visitors was backed up for miles.

http://www.kcci.com/news/9670751/detail.html

Anyone ever heard Tim Bedore talk about the 'Animal Conspiracy'? I think this could help make his case -- "Even after death, animals make it a point to cause harm to humans."

-Chris

Last edited:
CJones said:
Anyone ever heard Tim Bedore talk about the 'Animal Conspiracy'? I think this could help make his case -- "Even after death, animals make it a point to cause harm to humans."

-Chris

Maybe it's true... I remember hearing about an accident out west somewhere (CA, I think), where some lady whacked a deer with her Mercedes. Which sent the deer into the air to crash through the windshield of a pickup. The driver was either badly injured or killed -- I don't remember -- it's kind of academic anyway because he lost control of his truck, shot across the median and had a head-on with another vehicle which killed the driver of that car.

My recollection is that the Mercedes lady was uninjured.

i get into arguments with people all the time (often Leah) about swerving to miss animals (especially Deer) I operate by the principal of Dont Veer for Deer. No sense in swerving to avoid an animal only to destroy your car and possibly injure people.

Have never hit an animal either, which really is pretty amazing for 5+ years of driving all over Iowa.

tonycondon said:
i get into arguments with people all the time (often Leah) about swerving to miss animals (especially Deer) I operate by the principal of Dont Veer for Deer. No sense in swerving to avoid an animal only to destroy your car and possibly injure people.

Have never hit an animal either, which really is pretty amazing for 5+ years of driving all over Iowa.

I got pretty good at hitting deer when I owned a Blazer. I got 2 in one day at different times. They hit in the exact same spot on the car. All I had to do was replace an $84 plastic grill.

Two things I've learned.
1. Don't Swerve.
2. Don't have your brakes on when you hit them. If you hit off center, you can get some major adverse yaw. And, with the brakes on the nose of the car sits lower and makes a nice ramp for the deer to slide up into the windshield. I let off the brakes just before I hit and it tends to launch the deer up and away into the ditch. (all three of my deer strikes have still been edible.:) )

Barb

Aaahhh, there ain't nothing like field dressing a deer on the side of the road as your radiator is boiling over from the impact. As we told the friendly folks who stopped to check on us "we'll take care of the truck later, but the meat will go bad if we don't take care of this right now".

I've never hit a deer, but once I hit a skunk running across the road with my back tire, didn't cause any stink to enter my vehicle thankfully. Too bad my dad was following me, I think it took a few weeks for his car to smell somewhat normal again.

bkreager said:
I've never hit a deer, but once I hit a skunk running across the road with my back tire, didn't cause any stink to enter my vehicle thankfully. Too bad my dad was following me, I think it took a few weeks for his car to smell somewhat normal again.
Going through a small town one of my after midnight runs on a nice clear night in the Mustang with the top down, I see a huge racoon, about Basset Hound size, galloping across the oncoming lane maybe 20 feet in front, I tried to swerve to get him to pass between the wheels but when I heard this CAH RUH RUH UNCHHH!! from my 17" back right tire, I knew Rocky didn't make it. I never saw him on the road and didn't have guts to clean off the car but still. I don't think he lived to warn his friends.

Last edited:
I use the old NASCAR driver trick - I aim at the animal, figuring by the time I'm there it will have moved one direction or the other.

Doesn't work so well for porcupines or skunks. Or animals that are already roadkill.

And with some of our roadkill up here, you'd better swerve - hitting it can be as bad as striking a live animal!

In theory its good to say "don't swerve". However, in the 2 seconds it takes for the deer to dart out and your brain to regester it, instinct can take over.
I have always said the same thing, dont move for animals, when its not safe, but found myself doing that very thing when a dog darted out in front of me one time. I didnt have time to think, just had time to react.

I had to have the conversation with my daughter while teaching her to drive. (She was slowing for birds on the road.) Had to tell her that 'your safety, your passeneger's safety, and other drivers' safety are more important than a bird, dog, cat, deer, or other animal'. Not 5 minutes later two deer stepped in front of us. It was about 5 minutes after that that another car was driving toward us in the wrong lane (OURS). A lot of lessons were learned that evening. It took a while to get her back in the car!

I have pretty much trained myself that if it jumps out at the last second, it's screwed 'cause I ain't moving. On the other hand, if I see it coming and have more than 1/2 a second to react, I will swerve as long as I know I have an 'out'. It's all about situational awareness.

The bad thing about deer is that if you swerve for the first one, chances are, the second one will be right behind it.

-Chris

Michael said:
In theory its good to say "don't swerve". However, in the 2 seconds it takes for the deer to dart out and your brain to regester it, instinct can take over.
I have always said the same thing, dont move for animals, when its not safe, but found myself doing that very thing when a dog darted out in front of me one time. I didnt have time to think, just had time to react.

I know swerving feels like the right thing to do on short notice, but it is the dangerous thing to do. "Instincts" can be retrained, we all did that to some extent with our flight training (things like pushing forward on the yoke to get clear of the trees at the end of the runway instead of keep pulling back). I think it helped me to read about the results of Car-Deer collisions in the paper but see the results of Car-Tree collisions in the ER.

Barb

The day after our oldest granddaughter got her drivers license she was out driving the dirt back roads of Kansas. Furry critter darts across road she swerves loses control and goes off the road. She walks but the car is totaled now she's walking. Told her next time hit the darned thing.
Ron

Years ago, I was giving my g/f hom about 2am when a suicidal possum runs in front of me. it was far enough away that i simply changed lanes at first, but the silly thing run into the lane I moved into then stopped. I changed lanes back, and it did too! so rather than hit it in my sisters little Chevette, (the car might not have survived the collision) I swerve back into the left lane again just barely missing the critter. The g/f and I laugh it off, and I look down the road to see a single car headed our way. Of course it was a peace officer, so I just pulled over now lauging so hard we both had tears running down our faces. Even worse, I had left my wallet on the dresser when I left.
There I was, in my sisters car, with out of state plates, no ID and weaving all over the road. After we got it all straightened out, the nice officer gave me this one piece of advise: "Son, next time just run over it!":yes:

CJones said:
The bad thing about deer is that if you swerve for the first one, chances are, the second one will be right behind it.

-Chris
I was going deer hunting a few years back, and while driving through a neighboring county, two rabbits ran out in front of me. I could avoid hitting only one of them. Latter that day going home, there was no sign of the rabbit I hit.

Good advice...

When I lived in the pine barrens of NJ, I was driving my truck along a sand road when my way was blocked by one of those little compact pickups laying on its side. Two kids were standing (unhurt) next to it.

The driver had swerved to avoid a deer, and caught the right front wheel in a sand bank and flipped the truck. They were real lucky -- weren't wearing seat belts.

The drived begged me to right the truck so his dad wouldn't find out (like he wouldn't notice one side of the truck was all messed up). So I put a recovery strap on his frame, put my truck in 4WD LR, and pulled him back right side up.

Oh well. I hope he learned his lesson. I'll bet he was going too fast too...

tonycondon said:

In the pickup, its full steam ahead, hit the sucker. On motorcycles, the general consensus amoung riders is if it's small enought to eat in one sitting, nail it. If not, try to avoid.

tonycondon said:

Having both hit animals and missed them by evasive maneuvers, I'm very much inclined to "veer" provided I can do so safely. And that should be the real basis for the (albeit rather quick decision), whether it can be done without creating a more serious hazard. And the same factor should be there if the obstacle is another vehicle, sometimes it's better to plow into the car in front of you (stopped or going in your direction) than to risk a head on with opposing traffic, and sometimes a quick lane change is a lower risk than staying in your lane and hitting the vehicle ahead. And don't kid yourself, hitting a deer can be fatal even if you don't "swerve" out of control.

Of course it probably helps if you have been trained and are "current" for aggressive lane changes, something that is sadly lacking is a vast majority of drivers IME.

lancefisher said:
Of course it probably helps if you have been trained and are "current" for aggressive lane changes, something that is sadly lacking is a vast majority of drivers IME.

They're self taught for the most part.

My brother-in-law's sister swerved to miss a squirrel, went off the road and hit a tree.

She's been a paraplegic ever since.

bstratt said:
My brother-in-law's sister swerved to miss a squirrel, went off the road and hit a tree.

The worst part is that she probably killed more squirrels in the tree!

For some reason a stupid fictional story always comes to mind when I hear about such nonsense. The story involved some sort of misfit superhero that trashed his new car when he swerved (and of course lost control and crashed) to avoid a skunk because he didn't want the new car to stink.

Last edited:
mikea said:
Going through a small town one of my midnight runs a nice clear night in the Mustang with the top down, I see a huge racoon, about Basset Hound size, galloping across the oncoming lane maybe 10 feet in front, I tried to swerve to get him to pass between the wheels but when I heard this CAH RUH RUH UNCHHH!! from my 17" back right tire, I knew Rocky didn't make it. I never saw him on the road and didn't have guts to clean off the car but still. I don't think he lived to warn his friends.

I nailed a whole family of raccoons one night, in Iowa no less. I was pulling a stock trailer with my truck, moving to Ames and in front of me sat, what appeared to be anyway, mama, papa, and 3 baby raccoons. I got one wtih the left front tire and the trailer and rear tires took care of the rest. I had to stop to fix the lights on my trailer - one hit the wiring harness, knocking it loose, and saw the whole family pretty much where I saw them before I hit them, just not sitting up anymore. I don't think they even tried to run, but no way was I swerving with a trailer behind me.

bkreager said:
I got hit by a skunk once, too. It had been hit by a car coming in the opposite direction, and the thing flew into my car right behind the driver's side front wheel. Skunk guts and assorted stink for a while. We had to park the car down the street for a while instead of in the garage.

Ken Ibold said:
I got hit by a skunk once, too. It had been hit by a car coming in the opposite direction, and the thing flew into my car right behind the driver's side front wheel. Skunk guts and assorted stink for a while. We had to park the car down the street for a while instead of in the garage.

Did you try hosing the chassis down with tomato juice?:D

tonycondon said:

Don't Veer for Deer... I like that. And you are 100% spot on. Methinks you should have Leah talk to Barry's brother-in-law's sister:

bstratt said:

She's been a paraplegic ever since.

Ouch. And I bet the squirrel is dead now anyway.

tonycondon said:

I'm surprised I haven't hit more, considering the amount of driving I do. I personally have hit a family of raccoons (in my girlfriend's brand-new car :eek:), a few birds (all were in the air at the time, and two big ones hit my windshield just a few seconds apart once :hairraise:), and just the other day I squished a snake down in GA. Big snake too, he was coiled back 4-5 times and took about half a lane. That's a good solid 20-footer! I did not go back to see if it was still alive. :no: :D

Bill Jennings said:
In the pickup, its full steam ahead, hit the sucker. On motorcycles, the general consensus amoung riders is if it's small enought to eat in one sitting, nail it. If not, try to avoid.
As a motorcycle rider, I've thought about this a lot. Of course it all depends on the precise details of the situation, but often it's better on a big (500-700 lb) machine like my Goldwing to ride it out - keep going straight, stand up halfway on the pegs with knees bent, put your weight back, stay loose and just take the hit. If you keep up any kind of forward speed, the massive energy of the two gyros you're riding on will hold you upright, at least through the hit itself. I would do this with a full-grown deer (roadkill) in front of me if it came into view, at night say, at the last minute. But not one standing there staring at me, probably. As in aviation, gyros can be your friend.
Sorry if this is a bit gruesome. But, as in aviation, you should have considered stuff like this if you ride much at all .....

Last edited:
My wife and I were driving through Iowa this weekend. I was kicking back and listening to my iPod. She was driving. All of the sudden... CRUNNNCH!

A small plastic cooler had come underneath the truck in front of us. She saw it coming and didn't swerve at all. Just took it. We stopped to look at the car. No harm, no foul.

I have to admit that I was pretty proud of her, and I told her so. If she had panicked and tried to swerve, it could have been a lot worse. She definitely did the right thing.

Ken Ibold said:

I'll bet the neighbors loved you for that! :hairraise:

A coule of years ago I was driving across Kansas and was behind a Jeep Cherokee. They had a full load of pax and had their extra luggage tied to the roof-rack. We were passing a semi and I thought I could see daylight between the roof of the Jeep and the duffels tied on top. The Jeep pulled in front of the semi and one of the duffel-bags flew off. I was even with the truck's front bumber about the same time the duffel hit his grill. It was a socks and underwear explosion. The Jeep driver must have seen it in his mirrors because he started to slow and pull over. A few seconds later he must have figured there was nothing more to do and sped up and drove away.

It was funny then, and still is, but if either the truck driver, the Jeep driver, or I had done anything other than just ride it out, it could have really been bad.

bkreager said:
Well, I can't say this anymore. Last night I was driving back to Ottumwa from my parents house when it was dark and rainy, just cruising along on Hwy 5 south of Carlisle, DEER . . POW!! Of course it was instinct to hit my brakes as hard as I could but I don't think I even was able to get off the gas before it hit. Front end of my Jeep is obliterated, bumper and grille were dragging on the ground when I stopped, and my front left headlight was smashed to bits. Now the fun part, what kind of car to buy with insurance money? :rolleyes:

bkreager said:
Well, I can't say this anymore. Last night I was driving back to Ottumwa from my parents house when it was dark and rainy, just cruising along on Hwy 5 south of Carlisle, DEER . . POW!! Of course it was instinct to hit my brakes as hard as I could but I don't think I even was able to get off the gas before it hit. Front end of my Jeep is obliterated, bumper and grille were dragging on the ground when I stopped, and my front left headlight was smashed to bits. Now the fun part, what kind of car to buy with insurance money? :rolleyes:

A bicycle, and a good down payment on something with wings. :yes:

I've never had deer, so I didn't exactly go back and scoop it up. I was thinking of something like:

Attachments

• Taylor Aerocar-1.jpg
    Taylor Aerocar-1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 6
Back