Online Prep for Oral?

NovemberZulu

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Zulu
Looks like I'm getting close to the checkride so it's time to really hit the books. I'm feeling very nervous about the oral portion because even though I just aced the knowledge test, all the questions were the same, or very similar, to the ones available online. I'm worried about the scenario based question format, since I'm much better at rote memorization.

What did you use to prepare for the oral portion of the checkride? I'd prefer something that I can access online or download to my computer.

ETA: I've read Captain Levy's checkride advice. Good advice and I will definitely need to remind my self not to talk too much.

14. Avoid this conversation:
Examiner - Q: Do you have a pencil?
Applicant - A: I have a #2, a mechanical, a red one...
Applicant - A: I also have an assortment of pens, and some highlighters...
Applicant - A: Yes.
Examiner - Thank you.
One of the hardest things to do when you’re nervous and pumped up is to shut up and answer the question. I've watched people talk themselves into a corner by incorrectly answering a question that was never asked, or by adding an incorrect appendix to the correct answer to the question that was. If the examiner wants more, he'll tell you.

Last edited:
ASA Oral prep guide, it isn't online. But it is available in print or electronic, and is $8-$10

Use the PTS to make your own study guide.

I too worried about my checkride oral. Use the ASA study guide along with the PTS. Using both as a guide to study, my oral went just fine and Im sure yours will too.

Dauntless Aviation has a pretty good on line system. What I like is that it gives you references, not just answers.

Best prep for the oral is buying lunch for someone that just did the same check ride with the same dpe. Pick their brains, obviously the smarter they are the bigger the payoff on lunch. Also your CFI should have knowledge of the dpe favorite lines of inquisition.

Best prep for the oral is buying lunch for someone that just did the same check ride with the same dpe. Pick their brains, obviously the smarter they are the bigger the payoff on lunch.
That is helpful, but not the best. The best is to get a practice ground portion with an instructor who knows well that particular examiner's routine.

Also your CFI should have knowledge of the dpe favorite lines of inquisition.
That is desirable, but not always possible. However, a good CFI should be familiar with the standard way the FAA wants the ground portion to be done -- the rest is the specific areas that particular examiner likes to cover, and it's usually not that hard to gather intel on that.

Not what I thought this thread was about.

Somewhere around here I've got a video of "Debbie does her CFI ride"

That is helpful, but not the best. The best is to get a practice ground portion with an instructor who knows well that particular examiner's routine.

That is desirable, but not always possible. However, a good CFI should be familiar with the standard way the FAA wants the ground portion to be done -- the rest is the specific areas that particular examiner likes to cover, and it's usually not that hard to gather intel on that.

:yes:

A mock oral with someone familiar with the DPE's style is the absolute BEST prep you can get.

Mike

Not what I thought this thread was about.

:lol: After I wrote the title I thought "somebody's going to read this the wrong way." Guess we know where your mind is!

Thanks all. I'm going to get the ASA prep. Sounds like the DPE is fair and reasonable per my CFI but that isn't helping my jitters.

Most of the students at my school use this DPE and it sounds like the "must know" categories are:
-All the Class E and G rules. Even the little ones.
-TOMATOFLAMES or have it bookmarked
-Weather (charts, abbreviations and symbols, thunderstorm life cycle, VFR vs. MVFR)
-Pitot static errors
-VORs
-maintenance records (show all ADs have been complied with)
-personal limits
-Light gun signals
-Preflight: know what all the antennas do

Maybe someone here can help on the light gun signals. "If you get a flashing green while on downwind can you turn final?" I have no idea and can't find this anywhere. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between flashing green "Return for landing" and steady red "Give way to other aircraft and continue circling." They both sound like stay in the pattern to me.

Maybe someone here can help on the light gun signals. "If you get a flashing green while on downwind can you turn final?" I have no idea and can't find this anywhere. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between flashing green "Return for landing" and steady red "Give way to other aircraft and continue circling." They both sound like stay in the pattern to me.

This is why you should own a VFR kneeboard from ASA as well, it an other useful but not often used information is printed right on it.. :)

Return for landing would be giving you clearance to land, Give way and circle would be telling you to wait.

Back