Online Multi Engine Ground School

PilotProficient

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PilotProficient
Hi guys,

I'm a new member, and I have enjoyed reading the forum so far (actually have spent much more time here than I originally planned...it is addictive).
I thought I would post a note about my online Ground School site in case anyone wanted to check it out, you can find it at www.pilotproficient.com. The flagship program is a Multi Engine Ground School video course, with narrated presentations and in-flight video, quizzes, and a certificate of completion at the end. It's not specific to a particular aircraft or certificate level, and covers all of the most pertinent multi engine topics in detail. It's a great way to get prepared for your multi engine rating, or review multi engine operations if you have been out of the game for a while. There is a free course preview; I hope you'll take a look. We do also offer a referral program; email me through the site for details. There are also more ground schools on other subject areas in the works for the near future!

Thank you,
-Gavin Leake
Pilot Proficient Online Training
PP-logo.png

You should provide POA members free access to the full course. So that way we can review and then recommend it to our pilot friends.

You should provide POA members free access to the full course. So that way we can review and then recommend it to our pilot friends.

Yeah what he ^^^ said! :D

Last edited:
I concur. I'm a long way from needing a multi rating, but I'm always on board for free education of the flying nation.

Your post sounded like you offered ME training for us pilots. But it is just another shameless free advertisement plug for your webpage. Oh well.
Al my ME books cost me less than half of your asking price for the online course. Somebody might find the value in it, who knows.
I agree with the others, you should offer this training to PoA "brothers" for free. :)
Also, next time you might want to ask somebody to proof-read your webpage before going public. I found a few issues. Proper English is vital to the appearance of professional business. You don't want customers turning away for misspellings etc.

Hi guys,

Thank you for the responses! As it happens, we did previously offer the course for free for over 50 beta testers to qualify the content and to look for any errors, omissions or additional needed content, etc. As for POA members, I'm happy to offer a discount (if anyone is interested, they are welcome to email me through the site and we'll take care of it!).
BigBadLou, thank you for your response. Regarding the cost of the course vs. the cost of textbooks, I can't argue there; indeed, as we all know, all of the requisite ground information for any certificate or rating can be acquired for free through the FAA publications. The course provides a multimedia presentation which can really help flesh out the concepts for visual/auditory learners, and the in-flight video helps apply the concepts to real-world operations; for those of us who do just fine reading the written materials and studying on our own, the course may not be the best fit. That's ok too.
So for folks who prefer to learn this way, there is excellent value in the course in saving them ground and flight instruction time, or supplementing the time they will be spending with an instructor (alternatively, compare to another popular online training provider, whose online Multi Engine program costs $250.00). I hope to provide the site as a resource for anyone who might find it to be useful; I will cop to the shameless plug, however :) (in addition to the paid advertising that we're already doing). Naturally, if anyone who takes the course does not find adequate value in it, there is a 100% money-back guarantee. Everyone who has purchased the course so far has been satisfied.
Regarding typographical or other errors on the site, I have had multiple sources proof-read but I would be grateful to hear of and correct anything that you found; could I ask you to PM or email me with details?
Finally, regarding free training, we do have other courses in the works which will be (and remain) free of charge, I hope to have them out and on the site soon.

Thanks,
-Gavin Leake
PP-logo.png

Welcome to POA, good luck with your hustle!

Ground school for an ME? I did all my training in the airplane and took a checkride in one day. $450 in 1987.

N3368K, that sounds like a bargain, I wish the prices were that way today! An endorsement from an authorized instructor certifying that the applicant has shown proficiency in the required knowledge areas is required for an added aircraft class rating (like the Multi Engine); the ground school is one way for students to develop that knowledge!
OkieAviator, thank you for the welcome; I don't mean to hustle anyone though (especially since there is a 100% money-back guarantee).

Thanks,
-Gavin Leake
PP-logo.png

ME training is pretty simple and short. I wonder, are you testing waters and will you be jumping in with IR, CPL and other courses later?
I will PM you regarding some of the small English sins. :)
If you ever need a free Beta tester, let me know, I can provide so much constructive detailed feedback, you won't like it. :D

Ground school for an ME? I did all my training in the airplane and took a checkride in one day. $450 in 1987.

Kinda same here, not one day, but all the "book knowledge" was between what the instructor wrote on the board and the POH, not sure there is enough to really need a book?

BigBadLou,

Yes, the multi engine ground school is the first offering, and we do plan to jump in with more courses soon, but will look to fill some areas not already being as well-served (for example: Seaplane, Tailwheel, specific aircraft familiarization). The Instrument, Commercial, etc. are such large chunks to bite off, not to mention the Private Pilot level, and they're already being done so well by some of the current players that we'll probably stick to the smaller niche areas.
As a side note, thanks to everyone for playing nicely, I realize I made a bit of a faux pas by jumping straight in with what is basically an advertisement, but hopefully I can make amends by proving myself of some use on the forum!:)

Thanks,
-Gavin Leake
PP Logo small.png

Last edited:
Kinda same here, not one day, but all the "book knowledge" was between what the instructor wrote on the board and the POH, not sure there is enough to really need a book?

I used a good book on ME in addition to studying the POH and my CFI's pre-n-post flight info. Still have that book, see if I can find it.

edit: "Multiengine Airplane Rating" by T.M. Smith. Mine is the 7th Edition (1978) so no doubt out of date.

Last edited:
Yes, there is plenty to put in an ME book. Unless you want to fly for hours on A/P while the instructor explains the physics of flight OEI etc. Yes, smart people can learn fast and in cockpit but many of us are just quirky nd prefer to read a book and understand the science behind the practical lesson for the day.
Everybody learns differently, for sure.

Gavin, I'm your ideal candidate. And I don't get enough teaser from your landing page to trust the content - you might want to post more video teasers, especially a full layout of exactly what's included - you'll want to give away more, not less. And, you'll want to pitch this to the Mark Roubideaux to sell to pilotworkshop.com members (for a percentage.) Good luck - looks great.

Randall,

Thank you for taking the time to take a look, and to reply! Your points are well taken; I'm in the process now of adding a full course segment to the free preview on the site, and additional, more specific teaser video(s) on the home page is a great idea. The course lessons are shown on the Multi Engine Ground School page, but you're spot on in that I really should have all of the individual sub-topics listed there too. Thank you for the suggestions!

-Gavin Leake
PP logo.png

Back