Online Logbook Suggestion

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
So I realized today that even though I was slow to admit it early on, web apps are the way the internet works now. Standalone applications are nearly dead these days, and for good reason - new features come along frequently for web apps, you can access the data from anywhere you have internet access, and you've got built in backups for most of your data by using them.

But then I realized that the only software I use on my computer anymore is LogTen Pro. Why?

Because I haven't found a really good online logbook yet. LogShare was nice, but it felt unfinished, and that's too bad, especially now that there's a charge associated with it. FLYR's is ok, but doesn't work with airports that don't exist anymore, or with airplanes that don't exist anymore either.

What I really want is something that is made to be used mobile. Something that I can take my tablet on a flight with, log my flight, and when there's internet access, it will enter it into my logbook. Something that I can just go to a website and access my logbook and any photos I want as well.

Does anything like that exist right now?

Standalone applications are nearly dead these days, and for good reason - new features come along frequently for web apps, you can access the data from anywhere you have internet access, and you've got built in backups for most of your data by using them.

I'm posting because I'm not sure I agree with your initial conclusions. I believe Facebook beat out so many previous social network setups, because they figured out how to exploit their captured user population for mass marketing (and data mining) better than their predecessors. Hence all the privacy issues.

Many internet sides do provide superior products though.

I use zululog.com and love it. Very easy to use interface with a good free version.

Log book Pro, they will even enter your entries for you and print you a very nice leather bound logbook which is easy to update. Pretty much the king of the logbook apps from what I can tell.

Log book Pro, they will even enter your entries for you and print you a very nice leather bound logbook which is easy to update. Pretty much the king of the logbook apps from what I can tell.

Not web based or cross platform. I used logbook pro years ago and upgraded to logten pro after a while. Now I'm trying to go mobile

I'm posting because I'm not sure I agree with your initial conclusions. I believe Facebook beat out so many previous social network setups, because they figured out how to exploit their captured user population for mass marketing (and data mining) better than their predecessors. Hence all the privacy issues.

Many internet sides do provide superior products though.

What does Facebook have to do with standalone apps?

I've actually found http://myflightbook.com to be the best out there, and I've tried a bunch.

Seriously, if you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot. Anyone know if there's an iPhone/iPad app for it? I'd be curious how they compare to the Android app.

Nick,

I admit may be reading into that Facebook thing a bit.

I see that as the sucessful (maybe dominating) model for internet based apps.

A model not necessarily always in the users interest.

Nick,

I admit may be reading into that Facebook thing a bit.

I see that as the sucessful (maybe dominating) model for internet based apps.

A model not necessarily always in the users interest.

Completely agree. But about 6 years ago, a very esteemed person on this forum and I had a discussion about the future of computing. His opinion was that web apps and mobile apps were the future, I maintained that the future would be based upon a successful cross-platform OS that allowed everyone to install whatever they wanted and run it.

I was wrong. He was right. Except the future is now, and today, webapps rule the world. And beyond that, I need to have my Logbook in a more easily updated location than on a computer that runs a proprietary operating system that I rarely use anymore.

And I think I've found it!

Another vote for myflightbook.com- they have an awesome iDevice app that works great on both pad and phone. Best of all it's free!

Wow, this sounds pretty good. Any idea how easy it would be to migrate data from Zulu Log to Myflightbook?

I just went through something similar. You have to be able to dump the data out to a CSV file, and change the columns around. Its not the easiest process, but it really only took my about 20 or 30 minutes or so.

Its only been a day, but I'm pretty happy. I'm gonna go flying next weekend to see how the app actually works. If it works like it looks like it does, I'm gonna be one happy camper.

20 or 30 minutes with a CSV file doesnt sound that bad, at least in comparison to having to renter all that data....

Cool beans, I will have to get this on my Android phone!

So, I switched to LogTen a while back and stopped using my paper logbook. A couple of older CFIs looked at me like I'd grown a second head when I showed up with a LogTen printout of my logbook and scanned in copies of the signatures for various sign-offs. (I also brought the original logbooks just in case.)

Anyone been through a real FAA checkride recently had this kind of reaction to electronic logs? And how do you handle sign-offs if you're 100% electronic? I'm sure there's a right way, a wrong way, and FAA way, and whatever way the DE wants because they don't give a rats ass about any of the previous three ways. LOL!

So, I switched to LogTen a while back and stopped using my paper logbook. A couple of older CFIs looked at me like I'd grown a second head when I showed up with a LogTen printout of my logbook and scanned in copies of the signatures for various sign-offs. (I also brought the original logbooks just in case.)

Anyone been through a real FAA checkride recently had this kind of reaction to electronic logs? And how do you handle sign-offs if you're 100% electronic? I'm sure there's a right way, a wrong way, and FAA way, and whatever way the DE wants because they don't give a rats ass about any of the previous three ways. LOL!

Myflightbook offers a digital signature endorsement option, but I dont know how well it works...

Back