Online Ground School Written Endoresement Programs

BrntWltrs

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BrntWltrs
I purchased the Jeppesen Private pilot 61 Kit, so I have the hardcopy (old school) and stuff, but have not picked an instructor yet and don't want to spend a bunch of money on ground school with the instructor; rather use that time for Q&A and most importantly flight instruction. I have however identified two flight instructors in the area that I will be interviewing, so I am not totally out there flapping.

My thought was to sign up for either Gold Seal or Gleim's online ground school, so I can get the written endorsement upon completion of the course and take the written exam perhaps even before I start flying or picking an instructor.

Does my logic seem sound at all, if so, which one Gold Seal or Gleim?

I may sound cheap, but my son will be right behind me with PPL training and he will continue on. So yes, I am looking for a way to save money, lol. Essentially, I will be the lab rat to see how well this works out before my son follows behind with the PPL.

Thanks in advance.
Brent

if so, which one Gold Seal or Gleim?
Both are good, but different approaches to installing the information into your brain.

Gleim is very book oriented and self paced. Meaning, you need the discipline to pick up the book, read the text, understand it, and pass the quizzes. Their online offering is same text as the paper book, but no talking head helping to explain the concepts.

Gold Seal is more "online teacher" where someone is on your screen explaining what it is you are learning.

I believe both offer a trial period where you can test drive the service. I'd recommend you do that before stepping up to the pay window.

Thank you Mike! I appreciate the thoughts. I will look in to the period stuff. Personally I like the idea of a talking head and still have the Jeppesen material too.

BTW: You are flying out of KDTO, correct? I picked up a part time gig at US Jet; I am there Monday and Wednesday nights, Saturday and Sunday mornings to mid afternoon. If you get a chance come by!

Brent

BTW: You are flying out of KDTO, correct? I picked up a part time gig at US Jet; I am there Monday and Wednesday nights, Saturday and Sunday mornings to mid afternoon. If you get a chance come by!
Yes, I am at DTO... part of Metro Flyers Club that is in T-Hangars 7 and 9.

And as you are working through the ground school material, if you want to meet up periodically to review and ask questions about what you are learning, hit me up.

Sweet! I appreciate that! Don't be a stranger if you are out and about on those given days.

I purchased the Jeppesen Private pilot 61 Kit, so I have the hardcopy (old school) and stuff, but have not picked an instructor yet and don't want to spend a bunch of money on ground school with the instructor; rather use that time for Q&A and most importantly flight instruction. I have however identified two flight instructors in the area that I will be interviewing, so I am not totally out there flapping.

My thought was to sign up for either Gold Seal or Gleim's online ground school, so I can get the written endorsement upon completion of the course and take the written exam perhaps even before I start flying or picking an instructor.

Does my logic seem sound at all, if so, which one Gold Seal or Gleim?

I may sound cheap, but my son will be right behind me with PPL training and he will continue on. So yes, I am looking for a way to save money, lol. Essentially, I will be the lab rat to see how well this works out before my son follows behind with the PPL.

Thanks in advance.
Brent

Also consider ASA's online ground school....it includes a few tests and provides a signoff if you complete them satisfactorily. www.asa2fly.com

Bob

Gold Seal is more "online teacher" where someone is on your screen explaining what it is you are learning.

I believe both offer a trial period where you can test drive the service. I'd recommend you do that before stepping up to the pay window.

Thanks, Aggie. Yes, Gold Seal does offer a free test drive. And here is our Sun 'n Fun discount code: snf18
That will save you $20.

I took the Gold Seal course. Passed my written before my first flight with 97. It was the way to go for me. All of that knowledge can now be applied to flying and has made everything easier to grasp. I never felt like I was drinking from a fire hose, more of a, “ahh, now that makes perfect sense” feeling. Hope that helps.

As a pilot and past student and current CFI, King school is the gold standard, always had great results with both myself and all my students over the years.

I like the Gliem material,you have to be a self motivated individual.

I like the Gliem material,you have to be a self motivated individual.

Lol, that's like saying you like a CFI who doesn't do ground or brief or de brief, because you like to have to be motivated with your self study ;)

I've had great success with King Schools and Sporty's. Sporty's is very comprehensive and goes beyond teaching the test, with video introductions to many aspects of flight that really appeal to a visual learner. Also, their online version is periodically updated and provides an endorsement that has been accepted by 2 different schools, without a log book endorsement (so does King). But I did like King's approach to Airspace, E6B use and flight planning. Both have extensive test question banks and provide endless practice tests. Getting the knowledge test done before you start flying is a good approach. One less "hoop" to jump through!

Back