Online course for private pilot license

captainiris

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
captainiris
Hi, What is the best site for online courses to use? I want to do all licenses: private, instrument and commercial.Thanks!

I recommend these 2 sites: Sporty's and King schools and I'm trying to figure out which one is the best :)

Check out Gold Seal (www.FAAGroundSchool.com). You can register and take roughly a quarter of the course for free and have free access to all of the quizzes. Plus, your instructor can join for free and monitor your progress online.

We have a Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/goldsealgroundschool/. Feel free to visit with users there and ask what they think of the program.

instrument is a rating.
are you planning to train at a local flight school or a college/flying course?
Because a flying course will come with the course standard that the scholl uses (gliem/jepp/asa etc).

good luck.

I used King for my private and currently using it for my instrument. They are sort of corny, and some people can't get past that. I can, because Martha, who does most of it, is actually a very good teacher.

instrument is a rating.
are you planning to train at a local flight school or a college/flying course?
Because a flying course will come with the course standard that the scholl uses (gliem/jepp/asa etc).

good luck.
I have a private license that base on my foreigner license with few hundreds hours. In order to get a commercial license down the road I need to get US license. So I need to start all over again which mean to focus more on the written course and exam and some flight hours.

I'm using asa2fly's online ground school and I really like the format.

I have to look into the FARs.. but I know I have seen people with comm or ATP.. but thier license said "private based on foreign license etc etc".. so im assuming they got thier comm and up based on USA standards.. unless im mistaken.
It would pretty extreme if you have to start over "on USA terms from private level" when you already have a couple hundred hours like you said. I am assuming USA and Europe co-licensing would be the easiest for a foreigner.
Maybe a FAR/reg master or another foreign license holder/transfer person who has experienced this can chime in on this.. this is one I would have to look up.

I skimmed through the FAR's listed in links webpage and it seems that as long as you are from a EASA (Europe) country, you can transfer all your certs/ratings over to USA license (from how I see it anyway). PPL IRA COMM ATP are all included.
I THINK you would get your private under "foreign based" limitation, and the rest would be "normal" USA issue since your now training in the states.

good luck.

Although I'm not yet a licensed pilot,I'm to the point where I'm close to taking my written. I tried MZeroA Online Ground School, Gold Seal Online Ground School, and King Schools. I feel I have retained the most knowledge from the King course. Corny, yes, but they have a way of teaching that seems to work and have the track record to prove it. Just my opinion, but its whats has seemed to work best for me.

I skimmed through the FAR's listed in links webpage and it seems that as long as you are from a EASA (Europe) country, you can transfer all your certs/ratings over to USA license (from how I see it anyway). PPL IRA COMM ATP are all included.
I THINK you would get your private under "foreign based" limitation, and the rest would be "normal" USA issue since your now training in the states.

good luck.
Thank you so much for looking into it !!! :)

I have a private license that base on my foreigner license with few hundreds hours. In order to get a commercial license down the road I need to get US license. So I need to start all over again which mean to focus more on the written course and exam and some flight hours.

You don't actually need to start from Private, though some find it is easier to do so. If you have an FAA Private Pilot certificate, issued on the basis of your foreign certificate, then you may begin instrument training as soon as you like. Once you pass your Instrument Rating Practical Test (Checkride,) you would have an FAA Private Pilot Certificate, "U.S. Test Passed" but still issued on the basis of your foreign certificate. Keep in mind that in order to take this Instrument Rating Practical Test, you will need to obtain a Foreign Pilot Verification letter from the local FSDO.

From there, you could begin your commercial training, keeping in mind that you would need to meet the requirements of FAR Part 61, not only for the aeronautical experience (hours) but also for the Commercial Pilot Areas of Operation listed in 14CFR 61.127(b)(1). Once you pass your Commercial Pilot Practical Test, you'll have an unrestricted FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate with an Instrument rating.

Now, Back to my original point; some people find that it is easier for them to start from scratch in the US. If time and opportunity are not an issue, then that may be the best route, Otherwise- you may look into this process of jumping right into the Instrument training.

Last edited:
You don't actually need to start from Private, though some find it is easier to do so. If you have an FAA Private Pilot certificate, issued on the basis of your foreign certificate, then you may begin instrument training as soon as you like. Once you pass your Instrument Rating Practical Test (Checkride,) you would have an FAA Private Pilot Certificate, "U.S. Test Passed" but still issued on the basis of your foreign certificate. Keep in mind that in order to take this Instrument Rating Practical Test, you will need to obtain a Foreign Pilot Verification letter from the local FSDO.

From there, you could begin your commercial training, keeping in mind that you would need to meet the requirements of FAR Part 61, not only for the aeronautical experience (hours) but also for the Commercial Pilot Areas of Operation listed in 14CFR 61.127(b)(1). Once you pass your Commercial Pilot Practical Test, you'll have an unrestricted FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate with an Instrument rating.

Now, Back to my original point; some people find that it is easier for them to start from scratch in the US. If time and opportunity are not an issue, then that may be the best route, Otherwise- you may look into this process of jumping right into the Instrument training.
Thank you!!!

I used Jep for private, used King for IFR, I'd have to say prefer King.

I used King in conjunction with the Gleim books. I'd go through the King course then study and answer all the questions in the Gleim book.

Back