expedia?
orbitz?
cheap tickets?
skyauction?
priceline?
cheapoair?(I do not kid)
others?
does it matter?

so many options, hard to choose within any of them as well. I ended up with a 2 am arrival, no thanks. Or a 2-day trip, ugh.

is it cheaper to stay over a weekend? or fly on a weekend?

Unless your time is worthless it's cheaper to fly when you want and book directlly with an airline.

Although you can't buy your ticket on this site, I've found it quite accurate (but not perfect) on pricing.

http://www.itasoftware.com/

Click on the "Search Airfares Using QPX" start an account and view schedules.

Usually find what I want and go directly to the airline to book.

Gary

I tend not to use travelocity anymore after I get a hotel where the electric & heat went out. They didn't make it right & wound up disputing the charge with the credit card company.

Expedia, on the other hand, refunded a cruise we canceled after I was laid off once.

Unless your time is worthless

my dad is 82 and I can't say he has a lot of 'time' but he is not on any schedule and can go Monday or Thursday or whatever, and save a few if any particular day is cheaper.
I don't want to get him in at 1:42 am, as sprightly as he is however, and no 2-day trips.

Although you can't buy your ticket on this site, I've found it quite accurate (but not perfect) on pricing.

http://www.itasoftware.com/

Click on the "Search Airfares Using QPX" start an account and view schedules.

Usually find what I want and go directly to the airline to book.

Gary
Gary, thanks for that link. It's quite a handy tool.

When I do travel, I've used the various sites but I get tired of all the extra junk when all I want is flight rates without the sales fees thrown in.

My best fares have always been directly from the airlines.

I have used direct to the airlines when all I want is airfare. But a few times I have also used travelocity and orbitz. Do shop around!!

Ask this guy:

trio_800x600.jpg

Dave,

Shop price at FareCompare.com, then check the fare with Southwest on their website. After you find the best price, then book the fare directly with the airline online. You'll save any online booking fees & not have to deal with a middleman if something goes wrong.

Dave,

Shop price at FareCompare.com, then check the fare with Southwest on their website. After you find the best price, then book the fare directly with the airline online. You'll save any online booking fees & not have to deal with a middleman if something goes wrong.

I use a search aggregator - www.kayak.com - then do as Bill suggests above, unless it is a multi-airline leg and savings are significant.

When flying on business, I will typically just book as direct a flight as I can on Continental.com, unless their prices are just outrageous. When flying for personal reasons (not going to say for pleasure because airlines are rarely a pleasurable experience these days), I'll use orbitz, expedia, or travelocity to find the cheapest flights, then book directly on the airline website. I'm not familiar with kayak, but I'll give it a whirl next time. Again, this is only if it's a single-airline flight... if it's multiple airlines, best is to book through the travel site since it's basically some insurance that you'll get another flight without much of a hassle if you miss a connection.

Another benefit, aside from avoiding the booking fees, to booking directly through the airline site is that they usually have a price-match or better guarantee, meaning if you show them a lower price (for the same fare class and flight) on another site, they'll usually match or beat that price.

Back