One-stop aviation recreation shop?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
Are there places you all know about for a weeklong vacation for a group of folks who want to tackle endorsements and and other training programs in a relaxed lodge/resort type of operation?

Say me and a bunch of guys want to hang out and not only commit aviation for a few days, but actually pick a goal and do some ground and flights during the day and socialize at night, in a relaxed atmosphere? Like tailwheel, seaplane, upset, glider, aerobatics, gyro, powered chutes, etc. Non-flying significant other and kid activities are a bonus (sight seeing, fishing, etc.).

I know FBOs and CFIs nationwide do various bits and pieces of this or most of it, and we could find a town or airport and stay at a hotel, but just wondering if such an Aviation Wonderland Resort exists?

Alaska floats and skis. Check them out on the web. Has cabins and everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaska Float Ratings in Moose Pass. My dad, a friend and me got our rating there a few years back. Awesome. I’m actually editing a video about it for my YT channel now. I assume this year is a no-go, however.

do any of the Florida seaplane places have onsite lodging like that?
My guess is offsite hotels....

cool idea. I have thought a few times about doing a solo rating vacation like that before. Would be loads more fun with friends in a resort/lodge setting!

winterhaven, where jack browns is located is not to far from the mouse house. lots of resorts there to stay at, once it opens again!

Tail wheel training and back country strips with lodges for the evening.

Stick and Rudder Aviation near Boise

I’ve seen a photo of a bunch of dudes sitting in a hot tub with no chicks at Embry-Riddle but other than that, I got nothin’. LOL

EAA has that Lodge. Not a great mountain lake setting, or anything like that, but I wonder if they ever have anything like this going.

I've seen adds for the hunting and fishing lodges. Some are over the top high end nice, beautiful lakefront properties, etc.... Aviation version of that would be fun! Seems like only coming up with the mono task seaplane rating places though...

Are there places you all know about for a weeklong vacation for a group of folks who want to tackle endorsements and and other training programs in a relaxed lodge/resort type of operation?

Say me and a bunch of guys want to hang out and not only commit aviation for a few days, but actually pick a goal and do some ground and flights during the day and socialize at night, in a relaxed atmosphere? Like tailwheel, seaplane, upset, glider, aerobatics, gyro, powered chutes, etc. Non-flying significant other and kid activities are a bonus (sight seeing, fishing, etc.).

I know FBOs and CFIs nationwide do various bits and pieces of this or most of it, and we could find a town or airport and stay at a hotel, but just wondering if such an Aviation Wonderland Resort exists?
You would have to provide an instructor, but that is very doable at Gaston’s resort in Northern Arkansas

winterhaven, where jack browns is located is not to far from the mouse house. lots of resorts there to stay at, once it opens again!

:yeahthat:

Perfect suggestion. Brown’s is next door to KGIF and Preston’s offers tailwheel instruction. Plus you can get rides in a Stearman, or drive over to Kissimmee and visit Stallion 51 to take a P51 for a ride. Plan your week to abut SnF when it happens again next year and use a few days there to cap off your visit.

I fantasized about opening such a place - Somewhere where pilots could go to get a crap-ton of cool aviation experiences all at once. Fly a jet, fly a floatplane, fly a cool warbird, do aerobatics, fly into the backcountry, and have some awesome fun. Unfortunately it's probably a great way to make the old adage come true...

I fantasized about opening such a place - Somewhere where pilots could go to get a crap-ton of cool aviation experiences all at once. Fly a jet, fly a floatplane, fly a cool warbird, do aerobatics, fly into the backcountry, and have some awesome fun. Unfortunately it's probably a great way to make the old adage come true...

With the exception of flying into the backcountry, you just described central Florida. And island flying might make up for that backcountry thingy.....

Without a doubt this for a getaway/training adventure. Great facility....have been there but not for trying (yet). On my bucket list to do.

KLAL and few other airports are right there as well with lot of active accelerated type flight schools if you want more than just sea plane option as well plus Disney Wolrd is nice and close as well.

Thanks all. This thread shouldn’t end here, but now I have a handful of options to look at. “Florida” seems to be a pretty decent option.

With the exception of flying into the backcountry, you just described central Florida. And island flying might make up for that backcountry thingy.....

But all at one airport, with one service provider? That's what I'm talking about - One stop shop. Pay $x,xxx and you get to do all of these things in a unified, structured program.

But all at one airport, with one service provider? That's what I'm talking about - One stop shop. Pay $x,xxx and you get to do all of these things in a unified, structured program.

Jack Brown’s is on a lake off the end of a runway at KGIF. You can do seaplane at Jack’s then walk next door and get tailwheel and acro and a Stearman ride.

One stop shop. Pay $x,xxx and you get to do all of these things in a unified, structured program.
kinda brings up a side thought in my mind....what makes a "resort experience" so nice?
is it just only paying one bill for all of it?
parking your car once and never having to worry about driving, going places, parking again?
everything under one roof?
something else?

like a cruise ship.... I never thought I'd enjoy cruising but there is something about the convenience of it all. But even they pan out into 'off premises' contract provided "shore excursions"....

SO would this mythical aviation paradise be as nice if it were some centrally located "hotel" with shuttle buses that took you to the ultralight field on the other side of town....or over to the lake for seaplanes and paddling....etc?...packages cobbled together from various providers

In my imagination, no. It needs to be more than a 'package'. It wants to be a nice place...like a wonderful lakefront lodge with adjacent paved and grass runways, hangars, volleyball, loaner fishing gear, maybe a skeet range, great food, and a bar :)
I can focus on my seaplane rating and my friend could be working on something entirely different...but all right there.

Yeah, it’s about getting into and out of the planes with your buddies about to go into or out of theirs, grinning, laughing at mistakes, celebrating accomplishments, making friends with the owner, CFIs, having lunch together, and then hanging around the lounge before and after a nice dinner, then do it all again the next days. Basically, everything you work to pay for with the M-F grind 48-50 weeks of the year. Nice scenery and off property excursions are nice too, for a different crowd or the whole family.

kinda brings up a side thought in my mind....what makes a "resort experience" so nice?
is it just only paying one bill for all of it?
parking your car once and never having to worry about driving, going places, parking again?
everything under one roof?
something else?

like a cruise ship.... I never thought I'd enjoy cruising but there is something about the convenience of it all.

That's exactly it. You don't have to spend any extra time planning. You pay the bill, and go relax and have fun - everything is done for you.

SO would this mythical aviation paradise be as nice if it were some centrally located "hotel" with shuttle buses that took you to the ultralight field on the other side of town....or over to the lake for seaplanes and paddling....etc?...packages cobbled together from various providers

In my imagination, no. It needs to be more than a 'package'. It wants to be a nice place...like a wonderful lakefront lodge with adjacent paved and grass runways, hangars, volleyball, loaner fishing gear, maybe a skeet range, great food, and a bar :)
I can focus on my seaplane rating and my friend could be working on something entirely different...but all right there.

Yes!

Back