One Six Right on TV

Quick Reminder. 40 minutes before One Six Right shows on Discovery HD Theater

Just finished watching (thank goodness for DVR).

All I can say is, wow.

How fortunate we all are to fly!

Well, we don't have HD, but showed the DVD to both my mother & stepfather and Leslie's father. Admit that watching was a little spotty, but they all seemed to enjoy it!

BTW, a bunch of my relatives live within 5 NM of Chicago Executive Airport (KPWK), nee Palwaukee. Few of them knew about the renaming, and they were all dismayed! It'll be interesting to see how well the name change takes!

BTW, a bunch of my relatives live within 5 NM of Chicago Executive Airport (KPWK), nee Palwaukee. Few of them knew about the renaming, and they were all dismayed! It'll be interesting to see how well the name change takes!

There is a big banner on one of the hanger just off of Milwaukee ave. But I'll bet everyone ignores it anyways. When I flew in recently everyone on frequency still was calling 'palwaukee' tower, ground, etc.

There is a big banner on one of the hanger just off of Milwaukee ave. But I'll bet everyone ignores it anyways. When I flew in recently everyone on frequency still was calling 'palwaukee' tower, ground, etc.

We can anticipate the day when the tower gets an attitude and stops answering calls to "Palwaukee," like how Gary thinks they're the third big-time Chicago airport and Terre Haute is "Hulman."

Doesn't "Chicago Executive" mean that they don't want flibs?

We can hope that the tower guys don't necessarily buy into the marketing the airport board is trying to do.

Once again, at some point we need remind the public that the pilots in the bizjets don't start at hour zero flying a bizjet.

Yeah, I saw those. And the sign by the tower entrance said Chicago Executive, too. To tie it all back to One Six Right, remember the viewing area from the movie? Well, we were actually early, so decided to just drive the perimiter of the airport to kill some time. Saw that they have a viewing area at PALWAUKEE too, on the south side of the field. A little parking area and some bleachers. Understandably empty on a cool Christmas Eve, but hopefully something that gets some use during nice weather, though I don't know that anyone really knows about it.

Four years on, "Dallas Executive" (RBD) is still generally known as "Redbird," Approach call it Redbird more often than not, and they (RBD Twr) sure know how to answer to "Redbird."

Similarly, "Collin County Regional" (TKI) still answers to "McKinney" just fine.

If a tree falls in the forest and no on e is there to hear it, does it make any noise?

Call it "Palwaukee." It will remain thus.

Four years on, "Dallas Executive" (RBD) is still generally known as "Redbird," Approach call it Redbird more often than not, and they (RBD Twr) sure know how to answer to "Redbird."
For whatever reason I think old habits die hard. I still occasionally hear someone refer to Denver Centennial (KAPA) as "Arapahoe". The name has been changed in excess of 20 years. Once in a while, up until not too long ago, when picking up a clearance in a different part of the country, the controller would jokingly (I think) start out, "Cleared to the Arapahoe County Airport..." Now those controllers who knew it by that name are probably retired.

The name was changed for political reasons because one of the runways was extended into Douglas County. Funny, we were discussing this in chat the other night...

I fly out of Palwaukee and tower refers to the airport as "Executive" now. When you call up tower or ground, just say "executive tower" or "executive ground". They will answer to Palwaukee still but respond back by saying executive. I guess this is their way of hinting for you to start using executive. I know exactly where those bleachers are and drive by it everyday as I also work in Wheeling. I only see them with people when there is something going on at the airport, like when warbirds come to visit for the day or weekend.

Last edited:
This is such a great program!!! I got One Six Right for Christmas, has anyone seen One Six Left??

This is such a great program!!! I got One Six Right for Christmas, has anyone seen One Six Left??

It arrived today and I just finished watching it. More of the same, worth every minute. Great story of how they made the film.

Saw it for the first time on Discovery HD yesterday. Stunning! Definitely have to buy the DVD. Comes on again this afternoon.

Back