One real ugly bird...

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
Two, actually, sitting on a limb outside of my office window. For non-rural types, these are turkey vultures, which I believe is the largest bird in this neck of the woods with the exception of the bald eagle. In flight, they're easy to tell from eagles because they have dihedral wings and eagles do not (there, I got in some aviation after all). Eagles are a whole lot more choosy about what they eat too :)

In general we love them here, they mark the start of winter when they gather in aerial groups in 20s and more, and head to Mx, Central America -- and a few weeks ago there was the usual excitement (!) when someone spotted the first to return - means spring really is here! Its funny how the crows and other large birds strut around like they are topgun in the winter, then you hardly see them when the vultures come back.
Some think they are essential to keep the 'recycling' process going here. I think they are neat but I wouldn't want to rub up against one.. .pretty smelly critters.

Steve said:
I had one of those take out the windshield of my month old F-150 last summer. About a half dozen of them were having a picnic on the far shoulder and they all loped away from the pavement as I approached EXCEPT one that decided to launch in my direction just in time to center the glass. Fortunately I had my sunglasses on when the inside glass splintered. The plastic membrane held together and I was able to make it to town to get the windshield replaced. I'm still picking up stray shards from the floorboard.

Yes, they are ugly. But imagine the roadkill if they weren't around.

A friend of mine hit a big bird, possibly a turkey vulture, on final in an Arrow at VAY. It made a U-shaped dent in the wing which he described as being about a foot deep.

And yes, they do help with roadkill. Someone hit a deer on our road a few weeks ago, and they had that carcass picked clean in a few days.

Let'sgoflying! said:
In general we love them here, they mark the start of winter when they gather in aerial groups in 20s and more, and head to Mx, Central America -- and a few weeks ago there was the usual excitement (!) when someone spotted the first to return - means spring really is here! Its funny how the crows and other large birds strut around like they are topgun in the winter, then you hardly see them when the vultures come back.
Some think they are essential to keep the 'recycling' process going here. I think they are neat but I wouldn't want to rub up against one.. .pretty smelly critters.

I didn't know that they migrate like hawks do. Around here (southeastern PA) they are around all winter.

I bet they have bad breath, too...

Re: vulture migration

RotaryWingBob said:
I didn't know that they migrate like hawks do. Around here (southeastern PA) they are around all winter.

That's interesting, they are 'supposed to' migrate and historically have always migrated. I wonder if man is providing some reason for them to stay around all winter now, like we do with geese that get their legs frozen into the great lakes shorelines during the winter.

http://vulturesociety.homestead.com/

There are several festivals around the country celebrating their group arrivals/departures:
http://vulturesociety.homestead.com/EVENTS.html

My wife had the "pleasure" of watching a whole horde of these guys (and girls) eat a woodchuck that I shot in the front yard last summer. Maybe 50 yards from the house. She discovered that they get, shall we say, a bit "frisky" over a fresh dead critter. I managed to miss the visuals myself, but my wife felt they really needed to "get a room" away from her sight. Not a pretty sight, I guess! ;)

Jim G

I see them on the PA Turnpike all the time. Hideous looking birds, but necessary. Good pic BoB!

Great Photo;

I have seen these winged creatures take care of a full grown road killed deer, in less then 3 days, People here on the Eastern Shore are glad they are around.

John

Back