One Quick Question?!

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I know this question is just plane* out of the clear blue sky but it has always been on my mind. If a plane does not have auto pilot is it possible to install one? and around how much would it cost? Thanks A lot!

*I know that plain is spelled P-L-A-I-N however I was making a pun

I know this question is just plane* out of the clear blue sky but it has always been on my mind. If a plane does not have auto pilot is it possible to install one? and around how much would it cost?
Sure, it's possible. You'd add the autopilot control itself, and servos for the ailerons and (possibly) elevator and (possibly) rudder, depending on what kind of autopilot you get. I've got no idea how much it costs aftermarket; the autopilot in my Zodiac, a two-axis (ailerons and elevator) TruTrak Digiflight IIVSG, cost $5200 installed. I would expect that an aftermarket installation would be more, since it's easier to run wiring and add the servos while the plane is being built.

Sure, it's possible. You'd add the autopilot control itself, and servos for the ailerons and (possibly) elevator and (possibly) rudder, depending on what kind of autopilot you get. I've got no idea how much it costs aftermarket; the autopilot in my Zodiac, a two-axis (ailerons and elevator) TruTrak Digiflight IIVSG, cost $5200 installed. I would expect that an aftermarket installation would be more, since it's easier to run wiring and add the servos while the plane is being built.

Thanks A Lot

A buddy of mine put a Stec 55 in his 182 and it was about $20K installed.

I know this question is just plane* out of the clear blue sky but it has always been on my mind. If a plane does not have auto pilot is it possible to install one? and around how much would it cost? Thanks A lot!

Certified or experimental?

Could be cheaper to just marry a copilot! Maybe:D

Dan

You're showing the joys of Experimental, Jay. TruTrak makes AWESOME autopilot systems at AWESOME prices, but unfortunately they're only available in Experimental installations.

A buddy of ours had a 430W and autopilot installed in his PA28-180 last year. Total bill was up around $30k. :hairraise: Dad had been considering moving to the 'certified' market prior to that event. Once he heard those numbers, he deleted all of his Cherokee-6 and Seneca II classified listings he had been looking at and ordered the tail kit for the RV-10. :)

STEC 30 this year, installed for 12K, quoted up to 14K, cost increase 2k over last years quotes :mad:

STEC 30 this year, installed for 12K, quoted up to 14K, cost increase 2k over last years quotes :mad:

Any idea on the source of the increase? Labor? Parts? Shipping? Demand for the units allows them to charge more?

Now what is the difference of an experimental AP and the other type?

You're showing the joys of Experimental, Jay. TruTrak makes AWESOME autopilot systems at AWESOME prices, but unfortunately they're only available in Experimental installations.

Except mine's not an experimental. :) I didn't know TruTrak didn't do STCed installations, though...

Now what is the difference of an experimental AP and the other type?

Experimental refers to the certification of the airplane not the AP.

Basically in an experimental aircraft you can put just about anything, i.e. experimental.

In a standard certificated aircraft the aircraft and AP must be approved and certified to work as a unit the STC or Supplemental Type Certification basically documents that autopilot A can be installed into aircraft B by a licensed / authorized installer.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if these simplified definitions are incorrect.

I'll have to look later; it's a Flash page, and I'm on the iPhone.

Well, in that case I'll keep flooding you with info: ;)
Q - Is the autopilot available for certified aircraft?
A - TruTrak autopilots are strictly for experimental aircraft and LSA’s.

Yes, it's a factory-built SLSA.

You're good-to-go then. I didn't realize it was LSA.

Well, it depends on the application, but most aircraft have an autopilot that can be fit to them, I'm not sure if there is one for an Aeronca Champ, C-120.... Depending on the aircraft and level of autopilot you are seeking (we'll limit this to piston GA) you'll spend between $14k and $55k installed.

Back