One Pilot

Corpsmaide

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Corpsmaide
http://www.avweb.com/avwebbiz/news/Single_Pilot_Airliner_208774-1.html

Curious to hear what youz guyz think of this.

If proven to be successful, do you think the FAA will approve?

Do you think PIC requirements would stay the same for the airlines?

If approved by the FAA, I feel the airlines would fly single pilot, given the economy and the fact most airlines are bankrupt or near. It's a business. After the systems are installed and paid for, they will save money.

I also know airline flying jobs will be more competitive.

Thoughts ;)

Not happening any time soon. None of the airliners out there could be operated with a single person.

Not happening any time soon. None of the airliners out there could be operated with a single person.

Even with the electronic co-pilot mentioned? I'm sure if need be one pilot can handle most airliners. I'd give it a shot:yes:

Current salaries are not the economic problem for the airlines - it's fuel and pensions. And many of the airlines have managed to rid themselves of those pesky pensions....

I see no reason to operate dual pilot in airliners these days. This month's Flying mag has a story on being an RJ pilot. The guys talk about how they're so bored flying from point A to B on autopilot. Reading that article cemented even more why I chose to fly single pilot helicopters. I don't have to share in the reward of flying and I fly an aircraft that can't be flown by itself. Just don't see the draw in flying for the regionals. You get paid peanuts to fly and aircraft that is so boring you need another guy to keep you awake.

Having said all that, no way the FAA is going to allow these aircraft to be certified single pilot. Pilot incapacitation with 200 people riding in the back would be a bad thing.

I see no reason to operate dual pilot in airliners these days. This month's Flying mag has a story on being an RJ pilot. The guys talk about how they're so bored flying from point A to B on autopilot. Reading that article cemented even more why I chose to fly single pilot helicopters. I don't have to share in the reward of flying and I fly an aircraft that can't be flown by itself. Just don't see the draw in flying for the regionals. You get paid peanuts to fly and aircraft that is so boring you need another guy to keep you awake.

Having said all that, no way the FAA is going to allow these aircraft to be certified single pilot. Pilot incapacitation with 200 people riding in the back would be a bad thing.

200 pax dead due to pilot incapacitation. that would be a really bad situation because the airline skimped on 50k a year on a copilot.

I agree, also convincing the public is another impassable issue.

I agree, also convincing the public is another impassable issue.

Agreed. The second guy isn't there because they couldn't fly without him today...he's there so someone can get it back on the ground when the Captain has an appendicitis attack, food poisoning or heart failure. All are rare occurrences, but it would only take one incident. I don't think we'll see single-pilot anytime soon.

Unless they install all the equipment for the UAV remote control. That's a possibility. Then you'd have a warm body in a bunker backing up the guy in the air. I could see that happening in the next 20 years.

Can the current generation transports be flown by one pilot? Sure they can, under normal conditions. Start having ECAM alerts or EICAS and the one guy will get very busy very fast. As abnormals happen or emergencies happen the workload increases.

Also, the second pilot provides backup in checking FMS entries, flight planning, etc.

Don't look for single pilot cockpits in our lifetime.

I see no reason to operate dual pilot in airliners these days. This month's Flying mag has a story on being an RJ pilot. The guys talk about how they're so bored flying from point A to B on autopilot.
I attest to many reasons why. Yea most of the time flying with good weather with Otto on, can get rather boring. What your article failed to delve into was when there are issues. CRM has evolved a long way in keeping people from making silly decisions. Emergency procedures, complicated departure/approaches in bad weather is a great time to have someone helping.
Reading that article cemented even more why I chose to fly single pilot helicopters. I don't have to share in the reward of flying and I fly an aircraft that can't be flown by itself. Just don't see the draw in flying for the regionals. You get paid peanuts to fly and aircraft that is so boring you need another guy to keep you awake.
Why people choose the career path that they do is topic for another thread, but im sure that one has been covered many times.
I don't think its going to happen anytime soon. The public opinion alone with stop it. I personally don't think I would want it either. I know that the airplanes can be flown single pilot, but I would argue that it is not safer at all.

It is rumored that the transition away from two pilots will include a cockpit occupied by a pilot and a dog. The pilot's job will be to feed the dog. The dog's job will be to bite the pilot if he tries to touch the controls.

200 pax dead due to pilot incapacitation. that would be a really bad situation because the airline skimped on 50k a year on a copilot.

Easy solution: The airliner can be flown single-pilot as long as one of the passengers has 200 hours on Microsoft Flight Sim:D

No way should it happen , pilots are what make planes fly safe, not a data concentrator or an autopilot, he'll its not even really about the flying...it's about the critical decision making that is made into a near unbeatable force with good Crew Rescource management.

I flew single pilot professionally for years before 121...I really wouldn't want to go back to it. The increase in safety operating as a crew is very real and something I appreciate on every leg.

this week was very challenging with all the severe weather, the collaboration on the flight deck always yielded a far better and "proofed" plan than any one person came up with .

I attest to many reasons why. Yea most of the time flying with good weather with Otto on, can get rather boring. What your article failed to delve into was when there are issues. CRM has evolved a long way in keeping people from making silly decisions. Emergency procedures, complicated departure/approaches in bad weather is a great time to have someone helping.

Why people choose the career path that they do is topic for another thread, but im sure that one has been covered many times.
I don't think its going to happen anytime soon. The public opinion alone with stop it. I personally don't think I would want it either. I know that the airplanes can be flown single pilot, but I would argue that it is not safer at all.

We've had guys flying single pilot King Airs and Citations for decades with success. Heck you got guys flying single engine piston aircraft IFR with no autopilot with no problems. A fighter pilot's cockpit is far busier than some RJ and these guys do it everyday with no CRM and can handle any emergency. I flew a UH-60 dual pilot and the B407 I fly single pilot today is much harder to fly than a 60. The level of automation these days reduces pilot workload substantially.

It all comes down to number of pax on board. No way the FAA or public opinion will allow single pilot stuff. Even in the future when some aircraft will be able to operate completely unmanned, they'll have two people up front for a safety buffer.

Last edited:
Back