One of the two girls did NOT want to go

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
This afternoon, I was talking to my neighbor about July 4 plans. After a few minutes, his wife said that "every time we see a plane go by, we wonder if it is you."
I was flattered.
So I said to my neighbor, "Do you want to go flying today?" He was thrilled.
So I took him and his two little girls up to Aurora and showed them the Cherokee 140 (N1477X). They had never been in a small plane. One of the girls wanted to go real bad. The other was scared.
I told her, you don't have to go. I was honestly willing to scrub.
But little sister and dad begged her and away we went. Our destination was Rockford. We were delayed by reasonably steady traffic at Aurora.
It was hazy, but no thunderboomers like yesterday. Just some cumulo stratus at 6000 feet.
Rockford vectored us for spacing, but I did not hear anyone in front of us land for 10 minutes before we touched down. We went to North American Jet at Rockford, IL. It worked out pretty good that North American has complimentary cookies, ice cream and soda pop.
Landing at Rockford a few minutes later, Jay said that he did not even feel the gear touch the ground (he said it, honest).
Brandon, the young man working behind the desk, was polite. He said that we are the second general aviation aircraft that has been in there in a week.
AvGas is a dollar cheaper at Janesville. North American is charging $5.70 per gallon of 100 low lead. But I decided not to complain as I ate another cookie.
The girls walked around the 7 L-39s parked inside the North American hanger. They were excited. The younger sister kept telling her 9 year old sibling, "I told you it would be fun!"
On the way home, we flew over their house. The sunset was spectacular at 3000 feet. We landed just as the tower closed at 9 pm. Not as soft as the Rockford landing, but close.
Jay's business has been slow, so this was a fun change of pace for them.
In the car on the drive home, the girls kept saying, "I hope we can go, again!"

Last edited:
Awesome... ya brought some smiles and turned a fear to a feeling of joy.

Nice! Let me share mine from last weekend:
I was at the fly-in with all the Bellancas and Bonanzas, the airport was hopping, the ramp full. I was in and out of the fbo a bit and chatted with a family (man, 4 kids) and it turned out they were there strictly as chainlink fence clingers....wanting nothing more than to be a part of the fun and excitement but having no means of getting involved other than to come watch. So I got the man aside and asked if I could offer anyone rides in the wooden wonder, he said his two older boys (15 and 11) would love it. I was going up again with others so I said meet me here in an hour and we did. I said, let's go! and he said um I need a little reassurance here! so we sat down and chatted a while about who I was, why I was there, about the airplane, my experience, that I could not guarantee anything but aviators thought any minimal risk was worth it etc. We did an airport safety briefing, a preflight, a pax safety briefing and that seemed to really help dad's comfort level then strapped in the 2 boys and away. We circled their house, weren't gone 20 minutes and landed, they had a ball, dad was all smiles and I went back to the fly-in with a really good feeling.

Good on ya' and attaboys to you both! My love for aviation started with just this kind of gesture - you never know what that one ride and a little bit of personal attention will blossom into for those folks!

Wow Norht American used to be some of the cheapest gas around. Well I guess the food prices (free cookies and ice cream) at their FBO are causing the increase!

Good job on the flight. Sounds like fun!

Great Bob, this is the way we make pilots. Goodonya.

Back