One more TB-20 Question

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I am filling out the aircraft checkout form, and for some of the questions, I have to do the typical interpolation, but two are especially difficult.

The first question asks to estimate endurance at a specific altitude and temperature. There are no range charts or tables in the PIM, however, and I've had to calculate the answer from NMPG information in the cruise section. There is also no information on time to climb and fuel burn.

The other question is about required distance for takeoff over a 50 foot obstacle. This is a bit better, because information is given for some of the given conditions (but not the temperature--not even close). I just did some math here, but having a table would help.

Does anyone know if there is any other information anywhere for these questions? Anything like range tables or charts?

I recall having trouble with those as well. Give it your best shot; whoever does the checkout will go over it with you.

Thanks. I will let you know how Thursday goes.

I recall a bunch of extrapolating assuming things were linear. The tables in the PIM give you ISA-20, ISA, and ISA+20. Remember that density altitude=pressure altitude @ISA, so what you can do is convert the given conditions to obtain the density altitude, and then look up the density altitude in the ISA table. Don't forget the wind corrections!

Figuring endurance based on fuel burn is the right way to do it anyway, so if you calculate the climb fuel based on the table in the PIM, then you can figure out your remaining endurance based on cruise consumption, and you'll get a conservative estimate since you won't burn that much fuel in the descent.

Remember that the checkout form is generic so they could use it for pretty much everything from a 152 to the Seneca they had once. Unless you make a huge error in thinking the instructor will not be too concerned if your answers aren't exact - they're more interested in knowing that you can work the problem.

Back