One more reason to watch out at a towered field...

The trainees missed that and, thinking the 172 had left the runway, cleared the RJ for takeoff.

Must be a trainee journalist, too. You can listen to the whole deal in the archives on liveatc.net. It sounds to me like the controller cleared the RJ for takeoff before the Cessna announced a change in runway exit. You can almost hear the controller gulp as he tells the Cessna to exit the runway "no delay".

Must be a trainee journalist, too. You can listen to the whole deal in the archives on liveatc.net. It sounds to me like the controller cleared the RJ for takeoff before the Cessna announced a change in runway exit. You can almost hear the controller gulp as he tells the Cessna to exit the runway "no delay".

Either way, they did not verify that the Cessna was off the runway before clearing the RJ for takeoff. Bad, bad, bad.

From the bible of ATC:

FAAO 7110.65S said:
3-1-1. PROVIDE SERVICE

Provide airport traffic control service based only upon observed or known traffic and airport conditions.

3-1-7. POSITION DETERMINATION

Determine the position of an aircraft before issuing taxi instructions or takeoff clearance.

3-1-12. VISUALLY SCANNING RUNWAYS

a. Local controllers shall visually scan runways to the maximum extent possible.

b. Ground control shall assist local control in visually scanning runways, especially when runways are in close proximity to other movement areas.

3-9-6. SAME RUNWAY SEPARATION

Separate a departing aircraft from a preceding departing or arriving aircraft using the same runway by ensuring that it does not begin takeoff roll until:

b. A preceding landing aircraft is clear of the runway.

Side note:, I PASSED! It was kind of scary, but it was an honest pass.

MKG: ready or not here I come!!! :hairraise:

--Matt Rogers

Awesome! Congrats, Matt!

I think it's time for a PoA NORDO Fly-In. We'll all stage at different fields ~20 miles away and all arrive from different directions at the same time. :D

Congratulations, Matt! Way to go!

Kent, I pray your posting isn't prophetic.

Back