one more reason to not eat at Lambert's

Because BUFFET is an acronym.

Same goes for OCB, Golden Corral, etc...

I thought "buffet" is what happens just before a stall. Or, a guy who sings ****ty music with annoying fans.

Actually, buffets are the only kinds of restaurants I eat in nowadays. They were never appropriate for entertaining clients, but now that I don't have to worry about that anymore, they're the only restaurants I bother with.

At a buffet, I get to choose exactly what food I want. I don't have massive helpings of empty carbs forced upon me. I don't have to wait for servers to get around to bringing my food to me. I'm not bound by someone else's idea of which foods should be served as which courses. I get to takes as much or as little time between "courses" as I like. In short, buffets dispense with all the things I hate about restaurants in general. And as an added bonus, I get to smother everything I eat with hot sauce without fear of offending the chef. What could be better?

I always thought the roll-throwing thing was idiotic, however. It probably goes back to a superstition my mother had about throwing bread when I was little. It was forbidden and supposedly very bad luck, probably in some hunger-related way. I don't remember the specific consequence because I thought it was pretty dumb even back then. But in Lambert's case, I think the custom is just as dumb as the superstition.

Rich

Wait... they actually THROW their dinner rolls at customers? I thought the "throwed" was something about the way they cooked them.

Do they toss their salads too?

Detached cornea?

Ms. Tucker should avoid baseball and hockey games as well.

Actually, buffets are the only kinds of restaurants I eat in nowadays. They were never appropriate for entertaining clients, but now that I don't have to worry about that anymore, they're the only restaurants I bother with.

At a buffet, I get to choose exactly what food I want. I don't have massive helpings of empty carbs forced upon me. I don't have to wait for servers to get around to bringing my food to me. I'm not bound by someone else's idea of which foods should be served as which courses. I get to takes as much or as little time between "courses" as I like. In short, buffets dispense with all the things I hate about restaurants in general. And as an added bonus, I get to smother everything I eat with hot sauce without fear of offending the chef. What could be better?

I always thought the roll-throwing thing was idiotic, however. It probably goes back to a superstition my mother had about throwing bread when I was little. It was forbidden and supposedly very bad luck, probably in some hunger-related way. I don't remember the specific consequence because I thought it was pretty dumb even back then. But in Lambert's case, I think the custom is just as dumb as the superstition.

Rich

I generally avoid buffets because I tend to eat more than I should at them, but I do agree with all of those points.

Although, in the case of Indian food, I really will only eat at buffet restaurants, because I can't typically order stuff I can eat from the menu. Usually the buffets will contain some leafy green vegetables, and I can get some fish or chicken or lamb or something, and smother it with curry.

I had to go to an Indian cafe style restaurant in Berkeley the other day with my co-workers. I really struggled with the lunch plates. I got a tiny piece of fish in some curry, and about five other glops of carb stuff I couldn't touch.

It's a tourist stop.. Been there, done that... Didn't bother with the t-shirt.

They don't have to throw rolls. They will bring the roll to you if you don't want to play their game.

I will say, though.. We landed in Sikeston on a whim. While taxiing in, the FBO called us on the radio and asked if we were going to Lambert's. We said "Yes" and they said "We'll call the van." The van was there in about 10 minutes. When we got to the parking lot, the place was PACKED. Two tour buses in the parking lot on top of the fleet of minivans. The shuttle van took us to the 'exit' side of the building and they took us directly in for a table. Shuttle took us back to the airport when we were done. Pretty neat bonus for flying in.

They don't have to throw rolls. They will bring the roll to you if you don't want to play their game.

I will say, though.. We landed in Sikeston on a whim. While taxiing in, the FBO called us on the radio and asked if we were going to Lambert's. We said "Yes" and they said "We'll call the van." The van was there in about 10 minutes. When we got to the parking lot, the place was PACKED. Two tour buses in the parking lot on top of the fleet of minivans. The shuttle van took us to the 'exit' side of the building and they took us directly in for a table. Shuttle took us back to the airport when we were done. Pretty neat bonus for flying in.

Aren't the owners also pilots? I thought I remembered something like that, that's why they give you the VIP treatment.

Aren't the owners also pilots? I thought I remembered something like that, that's why they give you the VIP treatment.

I don't know for sure, but I could believe it to be true. There was a lot of aviation stuff on the walls and hanging from the ceiling.

I used to stop at the one just outside Springfield, Mo whenever we were going by in our coach. Loved the big parking lot, southern style food, and lack of modern accoutrements. I'd far rather eat good food, than look at stupid, designer **** on the walls.

I used to like buffets for many of the reasons that Rich mentioned, but then I noticed that the "sneeze guards" over the food may be effective for adults, but are completely ineffective for children, who are at the perfect height and perhaps the most likely to actually contaminate the food (the same problem also applies to salad bars).

Years ago, when parents actually supervised and disciplined children, that may not have been a big problem, but I've witnessed some disturbing things involving "loose kids" at buffets in recent times.

I will still eat from some buffets, and the hot food buffets at larger supermarkets tend to be mostly free of the "loose kid" problem because you have to pay AFTER you get the food, which also helps to avoid the "all you can eat" crowd.

JKG

Wait... they actually THROW their dinner rolls at customers? I thought the "throwed" was something about the way they cooked them.

I wonder, if when you're done you toss your cookies? :D

I have gotten more than my fair share of buffet style dining courtesy of the USN.

When I am not on the ship, the buffet line is the last place I want to eat, unless it is something like a brunch buffet at an upscale hotel (that is sufficient for me to mentally break the connection to the ship).

What sucks is that today's Lambert's is not the 1980's Lambert's.

Then, it was a lively place, the food was good and it was crowded enough (especially in their earlier locations) that throwing a roll was a sensible expedient to the whole bread distribution problem.

I was in there last year. Lunch time. Only one or two other tables in an enourmous restaurant. Food barely cafeteria grade. I couldn't believe it was the same place.

RIP Lambert's. You were really good back when.

I used to like buffets for many of the reasons that Rich mentioned, but then I noticed that the "sneeze guards" over the food may be effective for adults, but are completely ineffective for children, who are at the perfect height and perhaps the most likely to actually contaminate the food (the same problem also applies to salad bars).

Years ago, when parents actually supervised and disciplined children, that may not have been a big problem, but I've witnessed some disturbing things involving "loose kids" at buffets in recent times.

I will still eat from some buffets, and the hot food buffets at larger supermarkets tend to be mostly free of the "loose kid" problem because you have to pay AFTER you get the food, which also helps to avoid the "all you can eat" crowd.

JKG

I find life a lot easier when I don't worry about germs so much.

Rich

Because BUFFET is an acronym.

Same goes for OCB, Golden Corral, etc...

Except that Lambert's is not a buffet, or at least I've always ordered from the menu and have never seen a buffet table there. Haven't been there in a few years, thoug.

Memories of a mere boy at a military boarding school circa 1974:

Rolls were normal for lunch and evening meal. Sometimes the left over dinner rolls were saved for lunch the next day. These would have pretty hard shells.

One time at lunch I took my roll and knocked it on the table several times to show how hard it was. I saw a friend of mine sitting two rows away, facing away from me. I took my roll and threw it at him, aiming at the back of his head.

I overshot my intended target and hit the guy sitting on the other side of the table square in the face. He may have over reacted, but he thought my buddy had hit him with the roll. He took the table and flipped it on him, scattering others at the table, and they both jumped up swinging, which quickly escalated into a dinner roll fight. Plus mashed potatoes, corn, green beans and maybe some meat loaf.

Meanwhile, the original thrower, me, just sat quietly eating lunch and asking, "Whats going on?" It turned into a rather noisy and messy little disturbance. After everything was back in control and the "guilty parties" were led away, the commandant, or principal to you public school guys, actually complimented me on not getting involved. I guess you could say that usually when something like this happened I would be in the middle of it, but this time I actually got away with it..!!! :lol:

You pretty much nailed it. Being in Nashville, KSIK is about an hour or so flight, so I've used it as a "$100 hamburger" run a few times. The last time I was there the Lambert's van was on the ramp before I could shut down. It's a good stop or food run if you like that type of food.

Oh, and it's not buffet. Not sure why that came up. The food is okay-to-good, depending on what you get. And with one order you get enough for two people at a pretty cheap price.

Rich

I find life a lot easier when I do what I can to avoid becoming ill.

Germs are everywhere, but believe me, I've seen some behavior at the buffet that suddenly made the food look very unappetizing. The "seen" cannot easily be "unseen."

This is also one of the reasons why I generally avoid those trendy "dispense your own" frozen yogurt places. Too many people eating directly from the machines. Yes, who knows what happens behind the counter at DQ or other restaurants when you're not looking, but at least their food prep and plating areas aren't open to the general population.

JKG

Yes, they throw the rolls around the room, mostly because the size of the patrons doesn't allow them access to the tables. Nasty food as well.

The do indeed throw the rolls (every place has to have a gimmick or angle), but it is not a buffet. They do, however, regularly circulate with fried okra, green beans and other vegetables and offer them to whomever wants them. That is in addition to whatever you order.

Unlike Henning, I don't think the food is nasty. Just normal restaurant grade chow. The deal with picking you up at the airport and seating you first when you fly in is pretty cool. Makes one feel special :).

Never been there. Are the rolls HOT? I like hot buns.

The rolls came fresh from the oven,bright by a waiter, in a bucket, and he called out for anyone who wanted one. Then he tossed it to you from wherever he was standing.

Itndoesn't surprise me that some whiner claims to have a detached retina, and claims to have gotten it a Lamberts because whiners claim all sorts of things to extort money from businesses everyday.

Itndoesn't surprise me that some whiner claims to have a detached retina, and claims to have gotten it a Lamberts because whiners claim all sorts of things to extort money from businesses everyday.

I'd think this would be pretty easy to prove/disprove in court. And, if you'd read the article then you'd have learned that Lambert's isn't denying that it happened.

And besides, the lady was there with a church group. I find it extremely hard to believe at a good christian woman would ever try to defraud a business for personal gain. :rolleyes2:

By the way, your overuse of the word "whiner" makes you sound like a "whiner."

Last edited:
Buffets remind me of food troughs for cattle, just isn't appealing and the food is often subpar.

I noticed the lady who got nailed by the bread is a bible thumper, maybe it was a divine flying roll :lol:

"If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell."

Local rumor has it that this guy had just eaten at Lambert's and put on so much weight that his paraglider couldn't maintain altitude: :goofy:

Paragliding incident on I-55 injures 1
Alycia Dobrinick
Aug 20, 2015 09:15 PM
MINER, MO (KFVS) - A paragliding accident on Interstate 55 left one man hurt on Thursday, Aug. 20.

According to Captain Jim McMillen with the Sikeston Department of Public Safety, the man was flying around the area when he appears to have lost altitude.

Chief Chris Griggs with the Miner Police Department said the paraglider actually hit a motorhome that was driving on the interstate as he fell out of the sky.

The aircraft went down around mile marker 68, in Miner.

Chief Griggs said it appears the man had an issue with his aircraft.

Captain McMillen said the man’s injuries appear to be minor.

Last edited:
Well this was going to be destination number 2 for the family I was actually thinking about going this weekend weather permitting. There is another place called patties by the KY dam any experiences there?

Well this was going to be destination number 2 for the family I was actually thinking about going this weekend weather permitting. There is another place called patties by the KY dam any experiences there?

There is nothing wrong with Lambert's, My family and I eat there almost every time we go to Gulf Shores. Go, have fun, eat lots of food you will enjoy it.

There is nothing wrong with Lambert's, My family and I eat there almost every time we go to Gulf Shores. Go, have fun, eat lots of food you will enjoy it.

We are gonna check it out! worst case I need the PIC X-country time anyway.

Rich

+1 - If some kid I didn't know walked by my table and sneezed on my food I'd eat it anyways.

Hell, just the other day, we were out and there was a 4 year old eating next to us, I could tell they weren't going to finish the food. Once they left, I ate the rest of the food, to the shock of all of those around me. I'm cheap :)

This story was updated tonight on the local news,..

The lady who claims to have been injured by the throwed roll...who claims it detached her cornea...is now claiming it also gave her a yeast infection!

:goofy:

Back