One meal in Omaha NE

Kevin Holbrook

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mountainlover
I will be in Omaha NE one day next week to look at and hopefully purchase an airplane. Looking for something for dinner in the evening.

Not 100% sure what I will be in the mood for, but here are the likely candidates:

-Steak. Would want a really good steak in a somewhat casual setting. Cost not an issue, I just don't want to dress up for a meal by myself.
-BBQ
-Burger

For extra credit: good spot for early breakfast the next morning before my commercial flight.

Thanks in advance!

I can’t help you, but the subject line sounds like the title of an artsy movie. Or maybe a horror film.

”One Meal in Omaha, Nebraska.” A new Netflix Original, starring Matthew McConaughey and Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

There’s a burger joint near 130th & Pacific called Charred. Wagyu beef burgers, casual, reasonably priced. Absolutely sublime, try the Bacon & Bleu.

Everyone raves about Gorat’s, but I can’t vouch for them. I’m told they’re pretty good, and I know they were when we went there a few times a year - but that was a lot of years ago. The fact that they’re still there after all these decades says something.

The last time I was at The Drover near 73rd and Mercy Rd. it was still a throwback to the 70s, but the whiskey steak is amazing.

For BBQ - Dunno. I guess Hawg Wild is OK. Usually if we’re eating BBQ it’s coming off my smoker of my son’s. There’s a place halfway to Lincoln that’s pretty good too, but it’s a bit of a drive if you’re coming from OMA. If you’re staying near MLE it’s a lot closer.

Whatcha buying?

The Drover has been on my list for years. Have come close but never closed on it.

It's been a while, and don't know if it's still there, but the outfit that advertises Omaha Steaks used to have a restaurant in town.

Whatcha buying
Comanche 250…. I loved the 180hp 172 I’ve owned for the last 5 years but my wife and I are traveling more and our main destination requires a fuel stop in the 172.

And thanks for the restaurant suggestions!

Late to the party because I’ve been flying, but the Drover has been redone, haven’t been there since it was, but as mentioned, the steak is amazing. Last Christmas a friend and I flew out there for a steak dinner and ate at Omaha Prime. It’s great too, kinda classy but you don’t need to dress up either. Blatt Beer and Table is good for burgers, near the baseball stadium. J Gilbert’s by the convention center is a little more fancy steakhouse.

OP here to close the loop…

Ended up in town two nights so ate at the Drover one night and Blue and Fly the second night. Both were excellent!

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

And I bought the Comanche—what a fantastic airplane! Still transitioning to the complexity and how fast everything happens compared to the 172 but I have a great instructor so I’m getting there. My home field is 2650’ with real 50’ trees near each end so I’m taking it slow.

Back