One for the beer lovers!

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Willkommen zum Oktoberfest!

Starting NEXT MONDAY, November 5th, and running through Sunday, November 11th, Amelia's Landing Hotel will be celebrating Oktoberfest by including a complimentary 6-pack of Shiner's amazing Oktoberfest beer with every room! (Ages 21 and up, obviously!)

Mary, Rebecca, and I are proudly German-American, and have celebrated Oktoberfest all around the United States and Germany -- so we figure it's ABOUT TIME someone does something in Port Aransas, Texas! (And it's too bloody hot here in October to wear dirndls and lederhosen -- so we're doing it in November!)

Make your plans now! :D

What holiday do we get a jar of ol' muzzleloader with the room?

Dirndls and lederhosen... Pictures required!

I'm always amazed at the number of Germans in Texas. I was in San Antonio last year and caught the end of the Octoberfest celebration at the Beethoven Maennerchor. Some day I'll make it down to New Braunfels for the wurstfest.

I'm always amazed at the number of Germans in Texas. I was in San Antonio last year and caught the end of the Octoberfest celebration at the Beethoven Maennerchor. Some day I'll make it down to New Braunfels for the wurstfest.

Wurstfest is the closest thing to Munich we have found. It even blows away the celebrations in Wisconsin.

We're heading to New Braunfels this afternoon. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7

I took a German friend (Munich native) to Wurstfest one year. She thought it was hilarious. Her favorite was the sausage wrapped in a tortilla, "Original Munich-style". (I tried to explain to her they probably meant the sausage was "Munich-style", but she insisted that she would search her city when she got home for the original place that first wrapped a sausage in a tortilla! :) )

I visited the Spoetzl Brewery last January. There was a historic marker on the tasting room wall and I was amused to see the route that Kosmas Spoetzl took to arrive in Shiner. From the Wikipedia page:

Spoetzl had attended brewmaster's school and apprenticed for three years in Germany, worked for eight years at the Pyramids Brewery in Cairo, Egypt, and then worked in Canada. He moved to San Antonio in search of a better climate for his health...

Gruess dich (sorry, no umlaut or esszet on my keyboard) as I finish off a Shiner Hefeweizen

That's a nifty feature on the iPad keyboard. Just hold down the letter and a pop-up has the various for other languages.

I took a German friend (Munich native) to Wurstfest one year. She thought it was hilarious. Her favorite was the sausage wrapped in a tortilla, "Original Munich-style". (I tried to explain to her they probably meant the sausage was "Munich-style", but she insisted that she would search her city when she got home for the original place that first wrapped a sausage in a tortilla! :) )

Yeah, there are a couple of food vendors who stretch the definition of "German" food! lol

However, taken as a whole, Wurstfest is as close to Munich's Oktoberfest as we have found.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Willkommen zum Oktoberfest!

Starting NEXT MONDAY, November 5th, and running through Sunday, November 11th, Amelia's Landing Hotel will be celebrating Oktoberfest by including a complimentary 6-pack of Shiner's amazing Oktoberfest beer with every room! (Ages 21 and up, obviously!)

Mary, Rebecca, and I are proudly German-American, and have celebrated Oktoberfest all around the United States and Germany -- so we figure it's ABOUT TIME someone does something in Port Aransas, Texas! (And it's too bloody hot here in October to wear dirndls and lederhosen -- so we're doing it in November!)

Make your plans now! :D

Do we get to see the proprietor in leather shorts? :D

:redface:

Update: It's hard to see, but that says "NO VACANCY" on the big sign.

Considering that November is our deadest month, it's safe to say that Shiner Oktoberfest beer has an allure for those who ventured to the island this weekend... :lol:

481670_489923774363537_2088714713_n.jpg

shiner....that's like the Bud Light of Texas, right?

Oh, Tony. Oh. My.

Shiner, from the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas, is still brewed by a privately-owned brewer, not an out of state or out of country mega brewer.

Good stuff.

Shiner is a beer that I enjoy because it reminds me of my favorite things about Texas. But, I certainly wouldn't call it a good beer or even one that would beckon to beer lovers.

Shiner is a beer that I enjoy because it reminds me of my favorite things about Texas. But, I certainly wouldn't call it a good beer or even one that would beckon to beer lovers.

Agreed, but free Shiner is better than not free anything else. That said, I've been blessed more than many to live near enough to spend time at Rogue, Deschuttes, and Stone breweries, and have been even more lucky to live in places since then (or at least places with distribution) where I can stock the fridge with such delicious treats. That said, Shiner or Yuengling always populates the fridge for work nights or for friends that don't need so many hops in their drink.

Blasphemy.

I have enjoyed microbrews from all over the U.S., for decades. Shiner Bock is simply an excellent, very drinkable beer that defines what a good lager can be.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I remember when Shiner Bock sold for less than Miller Lite at the Dixie Chicken. If I remember, it was $2.50 a pitcher and $3.75 for Miller Lite.

Why spell it "Octoberfest" instead of the correct and traditional "Oktoberfest?" Is it a trademark thing?

Why spell it "Octoberfest" instead of the correct and traditional "Oktoberfest?" Is it a trademark thing?

No, I just effed up when ordering the signs, dang it.

At $186 for the pair, I'm stuck with them... :banghead:

Sent from my Nexus 7

I'd love to see more pictures that anyone took if possible. Nothing like amateur photos of ice cold beer from Octoberfest(or Oktoberfest)... or however it's spelled.

Back